• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Supplement Thread!

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's discuss and review the supplements and brands we're all using here.

Vitamins, Creatine, NO Boosters, Amino's, Protein, Pro-Hormones, Stimulants/Weight loss, Joint Care, whatever (I'm sure I'm missing a few)...

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been meaning to start a similar thread, as I'm curious about the topic.

What I usually have daily:

* Multi vitamin tablet
* B6, B12, folic acid tablet (I've been told I have a deficiency in Vitamin B)
* Flax, fish oil tablet (I think there's borage in it too).

smw356

Reaction score
5-8g of high epa/dha fish oil daily
hydrolyzed whey + dextrose & creatine pre and post-workout
some terrible chalk like milk protein isolate from trueprotein.com as a meal replacement protein when I'm too busy to get real food.

no multi-vitamin

and its Supplement

gvibes

Reaction score
multi vitamin
vitamin b complex, whatever that is
vitamin c (I know this supposedly doesn't do anything, but last time I stopped taking it, I got sick for the first time in several years - give me my placebo, dammit!)
I sometimes supplement fish oil or flax oil, but I eat a lot of flax seed, so I don't really need to

whey and casein protein (edit: optimum strawberry whey, that I mix with water and milled flax seed, and some instantized caseinate from protein factory that is actually soluble in milk).

occasionally creatine, though not in a while.

edit: glucosamine too, though I doubt this does anything.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of a medicine cabinet, haha:

Multivitamin: "More Than A Multiple" - it's a whole food concentrate stack. It was on sale so I thought I'd try it. I kind of like it. It has pretty much everything in it, including real veggies and fruit, which is nice because I don't eat enough of them.

Fish Oil: Whatever is on sale at Target. I usually take 4-5 1200mg pills a day, and I eat fish every day anyway.

Joint: Glucosamine/Condroitin/MSM pills. Whatever is on sale, but using Flex-a-min right now. Pretty good for those old sports injuries.

CLA... Good fat from Sunflowers. Does it make you lose weight? Beats me, but Spring Break is coming up on us fast.

Biotin: B vitamin that's good for hair, skin and nails.

Creatine/NO: Usually I have a powder drink before I go to the gym with Creatine, Arginine, and a little bit of caffeine. I can't really tell if it does anything, but Creatine does have a lot of health benefits. I'm using something new, I don't have the name on me, but I'll get it later...

NO Shotgun: Overrated, way too much caffeine and tastes horrible!
BSN NO-Xplode... pretty good, tastes good too, but pricey
New Stuff... was on sale, same ingredients, but most of it stays in powder form.

Protein Shake: Optimum Nutrition Rocky Road flavored Whey. $28 for 5lbs. at Vitamin Shoppe. It's cheap, tastes good and mixes well. Even yummy mixed with milk in coffee as a flavored creamer (high protein mocha coffee).

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
CLA... good fat from sunflowers? Wouldn't you be getting a lot of DHA from that?

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
CLA... good fat from sunflowers? Wouldn't you be getting a lot of DHA from that?

It's Conjugated Linoleic Acid is a trans fat isolated from Sunflowers, but found in high concentration in Eggs too. I could see that the high levels of DHA in Eggs come's from CLA, as do the trans fats/sat. fats in Eggs that are now regarded as good fats.

... but "a recent study (2006) by the US Department of Agriculture (like that's a good source) suggests that CLA can induce essential ***** acid redistribution in mice. Specifically, changes in docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and arachidonic acid (AA) were observed in various organ tissues. For instance, DHA content in heart tissue was reduced by 25% by certain CLA isomers, while in the spleen, DHA content was elevated and AA was reduced."

Swiss researchers, who discovered CLA, haven't been able to duplicate that. There's a tendency for reduced body fat, particularly abdominal fat, changes in serum total lipids and decreased whole body glucose uptake. Plus, it may protect cells from oxidative damage by increasing glutathione levels without inducing lipid peroxidation.

Most of that is from Wikipedia and other places found with Google, but I'd say moderation is key. More research could help too.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Protein + fish oil/CLA

CLA is supposedly helps with weight loss by reducing the amount of fat the fat cells absorb - so it won't help everyone but help people who tend to rebound from what I've read.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
I heard somewhere that robin is using Deca-Durabolin
Did you mean to write Roger Clemens?
tongue.gif

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take a multi, 9x fish oil, and 2x green tea capsules every day.

as for supplements for my workouts, i have become a big fan of Controlled Labs. They make a wide variety of supplements. i currently am using White Flood (NO), GreenMag (Creatine), and Purple Wraath (EAA and BCAA). They jury is somewhat undecided on White Flood but i love GreenMag and Purple Wraath.

there are many reviews, opinions, research available on the bodybuilding.com forums. i was hesitant at first about these, but many have seen great results from these products.

of course, diet trumps any extra thing you put into your body.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, lot of fish oil being taken. I thought my 2000mg of DHA+EPA was a lot.

500mg of DHA+EPA per meal is probably fine.

Be sure to take a quality fish oil. As with all supplements, the quality is what matters. Carlson's fish oil is the gold standard. Costco has pure fish oil but I was reading that doctors say it is not as effective (for some unknown reason) as Carlson's.

The total DHA+EPA content is the most important part. A potent fish oil will contain 50% these per pill when added up. EPA and DHA are the hardest omega-3s to get, most supplements only contain the easier to come by ALA.

I used to take a multi-vitamin but now I am going towards eating more raw fruits and vegetables. These chemical isolates aren't as effective or as bio-absorbable as food.I am going to try out Dr. Mercola's raw food vitamin.

I just got a subscription to www.consumerlabs.com and found some of the supplements I was taking contained high amounts of lead, so I'll need to get on a chelated supplement to get that out of my system.

Proper Essential ***** Acid intake is the #1 thing that people in the US lack I think. Borage and Blackcurrant Oil are good too for GLA, which is an omega-6.

For a NO booster, get on L-citrulline with glidSODin, it will give you the strongest boners you've ever had.

Another thing I'd recommend is Magnesium Citrate.

sweisman

Reaction score
whey protein powder (Optimum Nutrition French Vanilla)
1+ Vitamin Mineral (Pioneer Nutritional)
green tea extract liquid phyto caps 4 per day (Gaia)

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah

Protein Shake: Optimum Nutrition Rocky Road flavored Whey. $28 for 5lbs. at Vitamin Shoppe. It's cheap, tastes good and mixes well. Even yummy mixed with milk in coffee as a flavored creamer (high protein mocha coffee).

how did you get the whey so cheap. i just bought a 5lb. container of the same stuff for 40 + tax at vitamin shoppe as well. the rising milk prices were the cause from what i heard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads