• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Stylish Movies

ROT

Reaction score
Did a search and didn't see this topic. So I hope that it isn't redundant.

I thought it might be fun to mine the past and present offerings on the Silver Screen to select the most stylish (and stylishly influential) movies/miniseries/shows.

In no particular order and leaving out a thousand or so, I would say:

The Thin Man Series
To Catch a Thief
The Object of Beauty
Metropolitan
Wall Street
The Thomas Crown Affair (Brosnen's version)
Brideshead Revisited
American Gigilo
... and the list goes on.

DSKent

Reaction score
Bond. James Bond.

Sorry, had to be done, but really, most of the Bond films are very stylish.  So far as recent movies go, I would have to say Lost in Translation -- I'm a big fan of Helmut Lang suits.

Mike

Reaction score
Ocean's 11 (both versions)
Goodfellas
Reservoir Dogs
The Big Sleep (Bogart wears a wonderful double breasted, chalk stripe suit)
Citizen Kane (nice wardrobe throughout)

I have to agree with the majority here- Cary Grant in most every movie

I'll rack my brain and post some more later

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-The English Patient--the scenes in Cairo are pretty nice IMMSC.

Personal all-time favorite: Jude Law's wardrobe in Gattaca.

petescolari

Reaction score
Great calls on Gattaca and Snatch. I was thinking of those two in particular.

I'll add The Talented Mr. Ripley and L.A. Confidential to this list as well.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I'll add Chinatown and the original Thomas Crown Affair. In the former, Jack's suits were unbelievable. In the latter, Steve McQueen was a stud. And I'd take Faye Dunaway over Renee Russo any day.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the godfather. the best suit I have ever seen, in terms of cut (I don't love the pattern of the fabric) is the double breasted 3 piece suit that michael corleone wears.

aarghh

Reaction score
Here are a few more:

Laura
The Return of the Pink Panther
The Third Man

The End of the Affair
Sweet and Lowdown
The Lavender Hill Mob
Kind Hearts and Coronets

The Talented Mr. Ripley

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
-The English Patient--the scenes in Cairo are pretty nice IMMSC.

Personal all-time favorite: Jude Law's wardrobe in Gattaca.
Funny you mention that since whilst I'm reading this they are showing the movie on TV (I own the DVD anyhow). Gattaca is a good call indeed. I also throw my hat towards Chariots of Fire and Gangster No. 1.

Jon.

Alex_O

Reaction score
Blow - Up Basically one outfit the whole movie
smile.gif
But the white pants black boots everything english cut with that dark rich looking blazer gives me chills and make me wish I was a tall like the english I'd even throw in funny looking like the english La'Vventura Great rich Italian ennui clothing --- > Also see La Dolce Vita Um I like Antonioni what can I say

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm watching Thomas Crown Affair right now (new one) This movie has such great outfits for Brosnan... Russo's wardrobe is just ridiculous too.

ROT

Reaction score
When I last posted I failed to notice that the originator of this thread, ROT, has chosen as his screen name the initials of Roger O. Thornhill, Cary Grant's character in NBNW.  Intentional?

Nice work, Mack. I did indeed. Someone once said "it's a sad day in a young man's life when he wakes to discover he'll never be Cary Grant." Gotta love on-line. Personal favourite is still To Catch a Thief, but it's always difficult to choose among his pictures.

ROT

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads