• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Austro-Hungarian school of shoemaking

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After chit chatting with luk-cha and janne melkersson announcing interest in shoes made in the Austro-Hungarian shoemaking tradition, they could convince me to take some pictures.

My photographic skills are far from "von Rothbarts" professional examples of work, but yes, I tried my best.

You will see the examples from four makers I used in the past + a few comparison shots with a Ludwig Reiter RTW.

I am right in the middle of my maintenance rotation. So some shoes may still have some quirks. Also I store them unpolished and some are taken right from the daily rotation shelf. But that shouldn't bother.

All of them have several miles on the clock and have "inherited" their stories and anecdotes.

Don't be afraid, I will not that far and write an essay. I'll keep that for my biography. So enough talking...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This shoe is a real work horse. In the meantime I use it as an "experimental piece", trying out shoe polish, sole edging etc.

There is also a twin pair with a straight cap, which undergoes a total restoration. I put it back to the original double sole. (I will add it, when I update the thread)

It fits like a glove. For me it is all about the fit.
smile.gif
I agree, the triple sole is a bit weird. I "had" to try it, no way I couldn't miss the experience.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mr. Feher learned the shoemaking from his father, who was a well known "Cipesz mester" in Hungary.

Here you can see his interpretation of a slightly squared toe.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
wow! these are real mans shoe's!

where the last is not super sleek. a la G&G i like them for what they are, i'd love to get them to wear as weekend shoes!

thank you for finally sharing these!
worship.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Mr. Feher learned the shoemaking from his father, who was a well known "Cipesz mester" in Hungary.

Here you can see his interpretation of a slightly squared toe.

i like these one the most! i also like the leather, what is it?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We have been introduced to "Cipesz mester" Kovacs by the last maker Kalman Berta.

Mr. Kovacs is already retired after having a heart attack.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
thank you for finally sharing these!
worship.gif

It is my pleasure and there is a big part from you that made me doing it.

We are not finished yet.
tounge.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
We have been introduced to "Cipesz mester" Kovacs by the last maker Kalman Berta.

Mr. Kovacs is already retired after having a heart attack.

i like these a lot!!! these are inanly cool!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Though I always wore his shoes, I did not really consider to visit him. One day, I met a friend and asked him about his shoemaker. Guyla Kiss. The rest is history.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Inspired by a shoe he was making for a client. I found the perfect shoe for the terroir I am living in - S a l z k a m m e r g u t.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarcellHUN
It is an article about István FehÃ
00a9.png
r, Győr. He became a master shoemaker from an engineer. Thanks for posting. (and the rest is written in the article - unfortunately in Hungarian).

http://www.kisalfold.hu/gyori_hirek/...ipesz/2041213/

Marcell, thanks for sharing. The shoe upper you see in the picture is a distinct design of him. I couldn't qualify for it yet
laugh.gif
I like this "crazy" men. I'll have to pick up my shoes in April.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately this shoe had to suffer a lot. That's life.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let the good times roll...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads