or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Favorite Beers...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Favorite Beers... - Page 7

post #91 of 124
What's that st. bernardus stuff like? I've seen a few different kinds at this bar i go to with friends that doesn't have a ton of good beer and i was wondering about it. Any reccomendations within that brand?
post #92 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetieguy View Post
I drank some Tyskie last night which is a horrible polish beer.

I'm quite a fan of Tyskie.
post #93 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoaug View Post
What's that st. bernardus stuff like? I've seen a few different kinds at this bar i go to with friends that doesn't have a ton of good beer and i was wondering about it. Any reccomendations within that brand?

I think I have had the one that Horndog lists in his post; frankly I don't remember much about it . I know I have tried a few of their beers though...
post #94 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoaug View Post
What's that st. bernardus stuff like? I've seen a few different kinds at this bar i go to with friends that doesn't have a ton of good beer and i was wondering about it. Any reccomendations within that brand?

All the St. Bernardus beers are very good. I most often see their Tripel, ABT 12 and Prior 8 which fairly typical Trappist/Monastery ales. They are all heavy in taste, body and alcohol content. I like the complexity, mouthfeel and the multiple levels of flavor but some people not used to heavier beers may find their beers a bit overwhelming at first.
post #95 of 124
Hoegaarten is the best. it is brewed to perfection for a summer afternoon. Don;t knock it, wait for the weather to warm up and give it a go!

Paolo
-------
http://gentrystyle.com
post #96 of 124
Harpoon IPA draft, Belhaven Scottish Ale draft.
post #97 of 124
mmmk, here are my 2c.

I used to live in Brussels, Belgium, and it remains my absolute favorite city in the world. I hope to go back ASAP.

Hoegaarden is good, but you really do need the lemon. I haven't tried it stateside, but I have fond memories of drinking it between classes at university in Brussels. This is the beer that every American beer producer imitates when they say they have a "Belgian style ale."

I have a soft spot in my heart for Chimay rouge. I haven't had it stateside, but I remember it being my favorite beer.

We would also drink Belgian beers that were up to 12% alcohol content. If you can find Bush, it will get you drunk to be sure. The best deal in Brussels was to buy a 3euro shot of 160proof absinthe to get drunk, but who wants that? We're not in uni anymore fellas.

Stella is generally avoidable, and there are better American beers that do what Stella tries to do, but better.

Duvel is very good if you have the proper glass. Anyone in NYC, if you search long enough, there is a bar that sells moules frites (mussels) and Belgian french fries, as well as Duvel on tap. I can't remember the name but I'm sure it includes the word "brasserie."

Yes, I do have a hard-on for Belgian beer, but it is the best I've had in all of my travels.
post #98 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundie_3 View Post
mmmk, here are my 2c.

I used to live in Brussels, Belgium, and it remains my absolute favorite city in the world. I hope to go back ASAP.

Hoegaarden is good, but you really do need the lemon. I haven't tried it stateside, but I have fond memories of drinking it between classes at university in Brussels. This is the beer that every American beer producer imitates when they say they have a "Belgian style ale."

I have a soft spot in my heart for Chimay rouge. I haven't had it stateside, but I remember it being my favorite beer.

We would also drink Belgian beers that were up to 12% alcohol content. If you can find Bush, it will get you drunk to be sure. The best deal in Brussels was to buy a 3euro shot of 160proof absinthe to get drunk, but who wants that? We're not in uni anymore fellas.

Stella is generally avoidable, and there are better American beers that do what Stella tries to do, but better.

Duvel is very good if you have the proper glass. Anyone in NYC, if you search long enough, there is a bar that sells moules frites (mussels) and Belgian french fries, as well as Duvel on tap. I can't remember the name but I'm sure it includes the word "brasserie."

Yes, I do have a hard-on for Belgian beer, but it is the best I've had in all of my travels.

Travelled through the low countries for spring break one year and have to agree that the beer in Belgium is unbelievable. Completely ruined me to everyday beer in the US. Brussels was great but I thought Antwerp was an even better beer city. It always cracks me up when people talk about the Guinesses and Heinekens of the world like they are something special.

Belgium is a really underrated country. For beer/waffles/fries/chocolate it can't be beat.
post #99 of 124
I Like Yuengling the best but wasn't affordable for drinking on a daily basis when I had to travel frequently outside of the tristate.
post #100 of 124
Really? Maybe it's because i live in florida but yuengling is dirt cheap here. I'm not a huge fan of it though and am always confused why it gets a lot of hype in non-florida areas.
post #101 of 124
My tastes are changing from strong, sickly sweet Belgian-style ales to flat, dark and malty British-style ales.

Strong Suffolk Vintage Ale really sticks out in my mind as being a winner. Hard to find though.
post #102 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque View Post
My tastes are changing from strong, sickly sweet Belgian-style ales to flat, dark and malty British-style ales.

Strong Suffolk Vintage Ale really sticks out in my mind as being a winner. Hard to find though.
I thought you only drank Molson?
post #103 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
I thought you only drank Molson?

I can't even serve Molson to my dog.
post #104 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque View Post
I can't even serve Molson to my dog.
Yeah, but add a little bit of maple syrup and bam! You've got LaBatt!
post #105 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
Yeah, but add a little bit of maple syrup and bam! You've got LaBatt!

If you're ever in Vancouver...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Favorite Beers...