or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Stationery
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stationery - Page 3

post #31 of 43
Quote:
Engraved stationery is extremely expensive, most people would never guess how much they cost. They are about as indefensible as the jet: a pure self-indulgent luxury.
Interesting. So perhaps if people did know how much the paper cost, it would then be defensible?  So, if I had a Saville Row suit, superbly done, so that it was almost unnoticeable (i.e. didn't scream out:  I'm worth a lot of money.), that too would be indefensible? No wonder you're a Fussell fan.
post #32 of 43
The Picollo Press is an interesting alternative to Smythson of Bond Street, for those in the UK: Picollo Press
post #33 of 43
Quote:
So perhaps if people did know how much the paper cost, it would then be defensible?  So, if I had a Saville Row suit, superbly done, so that it was almost unnoticeable (i.e. didn't scream out:  I'm worth a lot of money.), that too would be indefensible?
No, I didn't say or mean that.
post #34 of 43
i have engraved stationery -- monarch-sized paper with my name in upper left corner and just my address on the back flap of envelope. my experience is that printers who work with law firms are a better bet than stationery/paper shops. if business is slow, their prices are amazing and they'll steer you in the direction of something that looks serious. in chicago's loop, such a printer is werner printing.
post #35 of 43
Forget Smythsons and Crane's. They're great, but very overpriced. You'll get a much better deal through Piccolo Press, a specialist printer in Scotland: http://www.piccolopress.co.uk/ When you get up into the high quantities (1000 sheets) it is positively a bargain. EDIT, sorry, totally missed the mention above. BTW, they have an American office and do plenty of business in the States.
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Forget Smythsons and Crane's. They're great, but very overpriced. You'll get a much better deal through Piccolo Press, a specialist printer in Scotland: http://www.piccolopress.co.uk/ When you get up into the high quantities (1000 sheets) it is positively a bargain. EDIT, sorry, totally missed the mention above. BTW, they have an American office and do plenty of business in the States.
I must say that I really think Crane to by fine paper, however I've ordered sample from this outfit. So we'll see.
post #37 of 43
I don't think there's anything wrong with Crane's paper. It is excellent, and their thermography is top of the line. It's just the personalised papers are significantly more expensive than they should be, especially when you are ordering large quantities.
post #38 of 43
Quote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with Crane's paper. It is excellent, and their thermography is top of the line. It's just the personalised papers are significantly more expensive than they should be, especially when you are ordering large quantities.
You might try ordering in bulk social stat. packs. Unless by large quantities you mean their bulk pricing as well.
post #39 of 43
You may be right. I haven't looked into it too much because the bulk social stationery orders are by necessity lower on my shopping list. Do let me know what you think of the Piccolo paper/printing when it arrives. My wife and I are considering ordering a decade's supply as an anniversary present for ourselves.
post #40 of 43
For those in DC, I'd recommend Brewood on Pennsylvania Avenue, a couple of blocks from the White House. Nice people. About a year ago I got personalized stationary from them. Cranes. A box of about 100 envelopes and a box of 200 or 300 sheets were about $200. They're very good for party invites and the like too.
post #41 of 43
J Harrison, Your posting made me feel like I was visiting the factory myself. You write very well. If you are not a travel writer you should be. I think that I will experiment and make some paper on my own. I may even start using a fountain pen that has been sitting in a draw for years.... Thanks again for your posting.
post #42 of 43
I apprenticed with a letterpress printer who often did stationery, etc. for people. I know it loses a bit of the mystique, but you can actually design your own device for an engraving on a computer, have the engraving made chemically and then printed out by the letterpress fairly inexpensively on pretty much any paper you choose in any size. Having said all the above, I don't have personalized stationery.
post #43 of 43
Quote:
I apprenticed with a letterpress printer who often did stationery, etc. for people. I know it loses a bit of the mystique, but you can actually design your own device for an engraving on a computer, have the engraving made chemically and then printed out by the letterpress fairly inexpensively on pretty much any paper you choose in any size. Having said all the above, I don't have personalized stationery.
Personalized stationery is a nice thing I think. I write quite a few letters and send notes and prefer the actual letter to an e-mail message. For business, I've got Crane's Ivory white letterhead. For personal, I've got Cranes ecru 96lb correspondence cards (with name), monarch paper (with just address on top) , and note sheets (with name). I've got correspondence cards with soley my name and then with Mr. & Mrs. Horace... I've got black bordered cards for mourning too. Ah, a lost world. Speaking of which, has anyone ever had any problems requesting that the Post Office hand cancel letters? I've been getting guff lately from a few postal works for doing this simple service.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Stationery