• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing Pet Peeves - what are yours?

Phil

Reaction score
For some reason I keep seeing men with their functional buttonholes on their suit jackets unbuttoned. Sometimes its just one, as an obvious nod to the fact that they have functional buttonholes. Other times its all four, which I still cant figure out. Id be interested to know if I am in the minority in thinking this is tacky, like "hey, look at me, I have functional buttonholes, arent I better than you" . So, in the same vein, here are my top 3 clothing pet peeves:

1. Undoing functional buttonholes for show.
2. Not using collar stays - weve all seen it. Ive seen guys in $3000.00 suits who look absurd because they wont slide a 2 cent piece of plastic in their collars.
3. wrong color belt with shoes. I mean, seriously, you dont have to be beau brummel to realize that if you wear black shoes, put on a black belt.

Im sure I can add to this list, but I would be interested in knowing some other member's pet peeves.

Alexis

Reaction score
outdated sportcoats
ugly, boring ties
shoes with an exaggerated square-toe
khakis
crumby loafers (tassels, sawdust, stains and all)
flashy hardware on shoes
bold blue shirt with a suntan look
cheap-looking navy suits (most of them are cheap-looking)
men who listen to women about fashion (oops.)

cuffthis

Reaction score
- exposed calf from wearing low cut socks

- great suit, lousy cufflinks

- unbuttoned suit coat. If you wear the jacket, button it.

stache

Reaction score
Men appearing in public wearing eveningwear before dark.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Huge amounts of tie space in a collar; seeing collarband above the tie knot; ties not pulled up into the collar.

johnw86

Reaction score
Several years ago, at a trade association annual dinner, the wealthiest man in the room was wearing an expensive suit, but the trousers were hemmed so long that he was walking on the pants.

I can't imagine who hemmed those pants--or if he didn't measure, but just went by a "34 inseam" comment from the customer.

Anyway, it looked absolutely horrible.

The best part was after he had finished the two bottles of wine he had carried in (and was good and soused) he started to heckle Sen. George Mitchell (this was before Mitchell handled the Irish negotiations). Mitchell took the heckling in stride and finished his speech.

Mr. Too-Long Pants had shown his colors to everyone in the room--and they weren't pretty.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
but the trousers were hemmed so long that he was walking on the pants.
Good one.

gregory

Reaction score
It is easy to generate the list. The New York City subway provides tons of inspiration for me everyday.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-- ostentatious labels on clothes, such as the "CM" on the front of Countess Mara ties.

-- unpolished dress shoes

-- dress shirts worn w/o collar stays

-- exposed calves when sitting down b/c socks too low

-- crappy old socks exposed under slacks

-- clunky square-toed shoes

-- ultra pointy shoes/boots

-- too-casual shoes worn for business

-- necklaces and bracelets, unless your last name is Soprano

-- school-kid knapsacks used as business briefcase by anyone over age 25 or so (might as well have a "don't take me seriously, I'm just a kid" label on your back.)

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kiltie tassel loafers worn with a suit
Imitations of an original ('these Cole Haan horsebit loafers look just like Gucci-nobody will know the difference and they're cheaper too")
Navy blazers worn with too dark trousers ("mismatched suit")
T-shirts with slogans or advertising
Unpolished dress shoes

aybojs

Reaction score
Shiny metallic/dark dress shirt and tie combos. Picture the usual ratty, poorly fitting, cotton-poly Geoffery Beene/DKNY etc shirt with a flimsy collar, usually in some gaudy maroon, deep purple, or black. The tie is some clashing solid in silver, gold, or something to that effect, possibly polyester or some synthetic fabric, with a shiny "techno" hue. The good news is I'm seeing it less and less but it's sad that I still have to see clueless people wearing that getup. The worst is when they skip the suit, put on pleated dockers, and think that's an appropriate semiformal outfit.

arvi

Reaction score
space at top of tie knot
pulled down tie & unbottomed shirtcollar
cutesy, novelty tie patterns
dark shirts with ties
matching shirt 7 tie combos a la regis philbin
sport watches(e.g. timex ironman) worn with suit & tie

JLA

Reaction score
DOCKERS & POLO SHIRTS
Space above tie knots
Bad tie knots (Tom Brokaw)
Open DB jackets
Unpolished shoes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads