• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Physician's White Coat

Mr Sola

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready for graduation, and I need to buy a couple of white coats before internship. I know there's a few docs on here, so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has a recommendation for coat vendors. So far this site has been recommended by my classmates:

http://aetnashirt.com/medicalcoats/index2.html

Thanks!

coachvu

Reaction score
To my knowledge, most residency programs provide you with several new white coats each year, often with the logo of your primary hospital.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I saw the title of this thread, I was hoping the OP would ask if anyone knew of a bespoke lab coat tailor.

Is there any way you can get it bespoke? I'd love to see someone with a bespoke lab coat with the perfect length sleeves, nipped waist, slanted pockets, a ticket pocket, and instead of your normal pen pocket, a diagonal pocket more like the welt pocket where the seam of the pocket is hidden.

And in windowpane. Don't forget the windowpane. If there is, I can't wait once I get into optometry school.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vikingmd
Some residency programs do offer coats but not all. The best coats are all cotton with knot buttons and a knot belt. http://www.scrubsunlimited.com/browseproducts/Angelica-Men's-Premium-Full-Length-317TNS.HTML I think they look best with your name and specialty without a hospital logo.
That looks like a decent deal. Might have to pick one up as an extra. I bought a poly/cotton blend thinking that I wouldn't have to iron it as often, it'd be cooler to work in, etc. but I just really don't like how cheap it feels.

vikingmd

Reaction score
I should mention that I don't know anything about that company and that the exact one that I prefer has an adjustable back sash/belt with two different buttons. I don't have my coat with me but if I figure out the manufacturer I'll post it.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What program are you in?

Originally Posted by whodini
That looks like a decent deal. Might have to pick one up as an extra. I bought a poly/cotton blend thinking that I wouldn't have to iron it as often, it'd be cooler to work in, etc. but I just really don't like how cheap it feels.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still looking for one. My tailor in Palo Alto added working sleeve buttons to my coat. I'd never do it again though.

Originally Posted by sonlegoman
When I saw the title of this thread, I was hoping the OP would ask if anyone knew of a bespoke lab coat tailor.

Is there any way you can get it bespoke? I'd love to see someone with a bespoke lab coat with the perfect length sleeves, nipped waist, slanted pockets, a ticket pocket, and instead of your normal pen pocket, a diagonal pocket more like the welt pocket where the seam of the pocket is hidden.

And in windowpane. Don't forget the windowpane. If there is, I can't wait once I get into optometry school.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman

I was actually toying with this idea as a goof since it's an unlined coat that would probably be pretty easy to make and not too costly because of the fabric choice. I think the MOP buttons I was thinking of would have bumped up the price.
laugh.gif
I would hate to get one made up for a few hundred bucks only to spill some acid or a bacterial culture on it though.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to hear that I'm not the only person crazy enough to think of having a bespoke white coat made. I'm currently in my 3rd year of medical school and absolutely hate the short white coat I have to wear. It was provided by the hospital I'm rotating at for free the fit is horrible. I only have another year to go but was thinking that when I'm in Residency in a year or so I'd have a proper coat made for me. As was said, it's unlined and I wouldn't be doing anything fancy e.g. sleeve buttons, but I could get pockets made to my preferences (cause I never seem to have enough of those and some inside jacket pockets would be awesome for carrying a PDA/phone or money) and have a much better fit.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I do get my coat, I don't think I'll go so far as to want it bespoke.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Those white coats get VERY dirty. Seriously, do people roll around in them in the mud once they get outside the hospital?

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze
Those white coats get VERY dirty. Seriously, do people roll around in them in the mud once they get outside the hospital?
You aren't kidding! I work per-diem in a hospital pharmacy. Some of my colleagues will hang their white lab coats in the pharmacy hallway. Some are just disgusting! I wash and bleach my regularly. I don't let the hospital linen department touch them; I don't want something I wear washed with everyone else's. The hospital supplies our lab coats, so I haven't had to purchase one. I buy my own scrubs as I don't like the fabric or fit of the hospital issue. I have purchased a variety of different scrubs and like these the best. http://www.allheart.com/ah17225.html The fabric is heavier and better quality and it comes in tall sizes. I also like having the pockets and different colours. They have scrub tops to match. They sell lab coats on that website too, but I can't vouch for them. You can check them out at http://www.allheart.com/labcoat.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads