or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › If I'm willing to alter new shirts, what should fit when I buy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If I'm willing to alter new shirts, what should fit when I buy?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Okay, my man boobs are pretty annoying for my height, and my arms are flabby since I haven't been working out in a while.

Standard S sized shirts don't seem to help me in this area. All they do is emphasize my moobs. M sized shirts are too long and sometimes too big in the sleeves. But I guess I'm willing to take extra measures now.

So, if I'm buying a shirt with alterations in mind, what should fit? Which parts are the hardest to alter and which are a breeze? That would help me with future sizing decisions. Thanks.
post #2 of 10
Neck and shoulders should fit, and sleeves shouldn't be too short, although sometimes there's some fabric in the cuff that can be let out.
post #3 of 10
generally anything above where the bottom of the armhole meets the shirt requires a reasonable amount of surgery -- shoulders, neck, and armhole. other than that, make sure the body and sleeve lengths are at least as long as you want them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartSan View Post
Okay, my man boobs are pretty annoying for my height, and my arms are flabby since I haven't been working out in a while. Standard S sized shirts don't seem to help me in this area. All they do is emphasize my moobs. M sized shirts are too long and sometimes too big in the sleeves. But I guess I'm willing to take extra measures now. So, if I'm buying a shirt with alterations in mind, what should fit? Which parts are the hardest to alter and which are a breeze? That would help me with future sizing decisions. Thanks.
post #4 of 10
The basics have been stated. Also, if it's patterned, it might not be possible to tailor and still look good. On the other hand, patterns can hide man boobs. Undershirts can, too.
post #5 of 10
Let's say that the armhole is larger than you want, leading to the sleeves being wider/puffier. In other words, the bottom of the armhole is too low. Can this be tailored easily?
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
Let's say that the armhole is larger than you want, leading to the sleeves being wider/puffier. In other words, the bottom of the armhole is too low. Can this be tailored easily?

I'm not sure about the sleeves, but the arm hole it's self can be brought in.
post #7 of 10
No. They can taper the sleeves and try to slim them that way fairly easily, but to actually move the armhole is a lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
Let's say that the armhole is larger than you want, leading to the sleeves being wider/puffier. In other words, the bottom of the armhole is too low. Can this be tailored easily?
post #8 of 10
I get my armhole/shoulder raised on my shirts all the time. Arm length has to be sufficiently long though. Only cost me $32 too.
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadcollar View Post
No. They can taper the sleeves and try to slim them that way fairly easily, but to actually move the armhole is a lot of work.

If the chest is taken in, the armhole will also get a tad smaller as a result
post #10 of 10
How would a tailor typically shorten sleeve length on a shirt
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › If I'm willing to alter new shirts, what should fit when I buy?