• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any reco's for a vacuum cleaner?

raindogbc

Reaction score
My vac just died. I have someone clean the house every two weeks but run the vac a couple times in between. all hardwoods. I want something that can suck a golf ball through a garden hose...small...mobile...easy to handle...quick to put away. I'm willing to pay for quality.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know if it's small enough for you--sounds like you want an upright. But the Kenmore canisters are worth every penny.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There has already been a long thread on this subject, but... Miele all the way.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There has already been a long thread on this subject, but... Miele all the way.
+1, we have one at our house and we've never had a problem with it. Cleans nicely.

JB

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have a Miele Blue Moon and it has been great but I borrowed a Dyson and it picks up more.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I have a Miele Blue Moon and it has been great but I borrowed a Dyson and it picks up more.

If it picks up more from your carpet it is because the stiffer bristles are actually picking up carpet more carpet fiber.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
If it picks up more from your carpet it is because the stiffer bristles are actually picking up carpet more carpet fiber.

Hate to disagree but I think the Dyson has more suction. I say that as a huge Miele fan and owner. Can't go wrong with either.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The good thing about Miele is that they have the best filtration and won't leak.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always had good luck over the years getting the Consumer Reports recomended models and brands. I don't think you get much more spending a lot more money. Take the money you save and put it towards some cool shoes.
laugh.gif

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From Consumer Reports:

Top 10 Uprights:

Kenmore Progressive (Best Buy)
kenmore Progressive (different model?)
Riccar SupraLite RsL3
Electrolux Oxygen
Kirby Sentria
Hoover Tempo widepath
Dyson Absolute Animal
Riccar Brilliance Premium
Bissel Healthy Home
Hoover WindTunnel

Cannisters:

Electolux Oxygen
Kenmore Progressive
Kenmore Progressive (Best Buy)
Hoover WindTunnel
Sanitaire System Pro
Sebo Air Belt
Miele Callisto
Bosch Fomula Electo
Miele Plus
Riccar
Oreck Dutch Tech
Miele Direct Conect
Electorlux Twin Clean

*The mag was right in front of me...

ed1234

Reaction score
+1 Dyson animal DC20. Worth every penny (of which there are quite a few - it's their most expensive model)

tricota

Reaction score
I have a small Nilfisk and a larger Phillips. They both work pretty good, though the Phillips has a stronger suction...Yet the Nilfisk somehow cleans better....Dont know why...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads