• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: French cuffs without a suit - Yes or No?

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following the discussion at http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=56866, I get the feeling that the good citizens of Style Forum are quite split about the issue. Thus the poll. It's simplicity in itself, just vote yes or no, if you feel like justification leave a reply.

Personally, I'm in for a resounding YES. Hardly anyone wears a suit to work so I'd look out of place in one, but I do love my cufflinks. A couple of other guys in my office feel the same, and sometimes we stand around admiring each others' links - all sans suit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Not for me, ever.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote no...

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly I do not see why there is such an issue with this. If it looks good with your current day's dress, why not? I sometimes wear these with sport coats. I will admit that, by themselves, they look a little -well- questionable. With a coat, be it suit or sport, it should be fine. What is the rule that says you can't?

raphael

Reaction score
Sometimes I wear french cuffs with jeans and a sweater.

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will often wear them without a suit. I will often wear them with jeans and a blazer or sweater as the above poster stated.

I have even worn them with trousers and no jacket.

I don't see the problem with it.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Several of my striped shirts have french cuffs. I like to wear them untucked with jeans
tongue.gif

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
Honestly I do not see why there is such an issue with this. If it looks good with your current day's dress, why not? I sometimes wear these with sport coats. I will admit that, by themselves, they look a little -well- questionable. With a coat, be it suit or sport, it should be fine. What is the rule that says you can't?

Isn't the poll for wearing them "by themselves"? I'm seeing 9 votes saying it's ok to wear a french cuffed shirt without a jacket of any kind. I'm hoping those people just misread the poll.

There are some things that I thought most of SF agrees on as objectively bad, and I think no jacket french cuff shirt is one fo them.

Aren't crusades fun?

-- edit --

Apparently I was totally wrong and SF has a lot of people who like their FCs without jacket. Consider my hat well and truly eaten with fries as a side.

Someone post pictures of their no jacket FC outfits.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I voted yes, but with the provision that when I wear them with khakis I call them double cuffs, to avoid the snooty-frenchy connotations.

But then again I only wear knots in the cuffs.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, albeit I normally opt for extremely low-key cuff links or silk knots.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Yes, albeit I normally opt for extremely low-key cuff links or silk knots.

+1

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Isn't the poll for wearing them "by themselves"? I'm seeing 9 votes saying it's ok to wear a french cuffed shirt without a jacket of any kind. I'm hoping those people just misread the poll.

There are some things that I thought most of SF agrees on as objectively bad, and I think no jacket french cuff shirt is one fo them.

Aren't crusades fun?

-- edit --

Apparently I was totally wrong and SF has a lot of people who like their FCs without jacket. Consider my hat well and truly eaten with fries as a side.

I interpreted it as 'Without a suit' which, to me, does not include sport jackets as those are not a 'suit'....

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it when guys mix formal and casual. Go ahead and wear your FC shirts with anything you like, especially a nice dark pair of jeans.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf

Aren't crusades fun?

-- edit --

I thought it was sorta-kinda bad too, except I got a guilty pleasure out of doing it. Apparently the guilt can go away now and I can enjoy my pleasure guilt-free.
rotflmao.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not saying that you won't see it. I am saying it's a rookie mistake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads