• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10 Reasons why you shouldn't buy a Macbook Air

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Too late!

I love it.

EDIT: OK, I actually read the thing. Many of the points are valid, but none of them apply to the reason I needed this computer, and for that purpose, it is perfect.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It looks snazzy, but it sure is over priced and underpowered.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What do they mean by this:

The worst part is that the ports are non-expandable, which means that no matter how much more money you want to shell out, you're stuck with one USB port.
Is that saying you can't even plug in a hub?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Is that saying you can't even plug in a hub?
Yes, you can still use a hub. The article is mostly rubbish, and was written that way to get at as much attention on digg-like sites as possible.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Karo
Thinking of getting a new laptop? Now I know why I shouldn't get this.

http://www.webupon.com/Web-Talk/10-C...Book-Air.79025

Whoever wrote that is very ill-informed. You guys act like this laptop is for everybody. Why coudlnt it have more usb ports or a remote or dvd drivve!!!i dont care if its a little bigger

well they have that

if you actually think that guy has anything valid to say youre an idiot

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, you appleheads are so touchy.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
Whoever wrote that is very ill-informed. You guys act like this laptop is for everybody. Why coudlnt it have more usb ports or a remote or dvd drivve!!!i dont care if its a little bigger

well they have that

if you actually think that guy has anything valid to say youre an idiot

Well, it is valid to say that the similar-equivalent Sony is better in just about every way. So I guess I'm an idiot.

Also, no SD/memory card slot of any kind?! WTF? I wouldn't buy a phone that didn't have that, let alone a damn computer. So if you want to get pictures from your camera you have to carry the cable, or a card reader with you. Genius stuff. The worst part about that is that I can't fathom that it wouldn't be possible for them to put in a slot - instead, they did it because they didn't want it to have a slot. We know what's best for you, user... buying more accessories! From... us! Oh, uh, I mean, it's in the interest of minimalist design. Yeah, sorry.

Just because it meets "some people's" needs "perfectly" doesn't mean it shouldn't have been much better, especially for the price. I love that people defend a lack of features because it's from Apple, where if it were from anyone else, they would spit-take. Don't you want progress? It's ironic, and sad, that the company that started out with innovative products and the famous "1984" advert now practices this Communist-style top-down "we tell you what you need and you take it and like it" philosphy, and the users just bow and throw money.

Oh, BTW, the eee-PC has more features that most people want/need (i.e. less crap to carry around) and it starts at $400.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
You only need a $29 adaptor for the Ethernet.

Anyway, the history of Apple products is they get significantly better on versions 2 and 3.

I think it's pretty cool in any event.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sony tz is not better for the equivalent price. All the tz's ive seen being compared to it are the 3 thousand dollar ones. And lots of laptops dont have sd cards!

The tx that is 2 grand doesnt come with a solid state as people on here have said before (you have to get the 3 thousand dollar one for a 32 gb solid state vs the 3 grand mac with 64gb solid state )and its screen and keyboard are too small.

Yes it fits peoples some poeples needs perfectly. It takes out much of the clutter many poeple who want an ultraportable do not care about (like an sd drive that most people dont care about) If you care about these things then obviously this computer isnt for you.

I really just dont get the point that everyone makes about it lacking a few features that would of made it so much better!! and that they do not care if it were slightly bigger. Well, they make other laptops as well and maybe you should get one of those. The argument you make isnt better than the "applehead" argument you accuse me of making. If every computer had all the same features then why the hell would they offer more than one different kind?

and maybe in a few years the cd drive will be the new floppy....

and no im not going to support that with any "evidence" as I do not know what the outcome will acutally be but I strongly believe that no one here has any evidence to make a prediction as to whether theywill be needed or not. You all would of said the samething when apple decided to get rid of the floppy with the old ass imac.

Anyways you might be right the TZ has a cd drive and an sd slot. And no it doesnt have a solid state unless you pay a thousand more. So it has a few features. But it LACKS on the keyboard and screen size. And I think the keyboard size is MUCH more important than the CD drive because I use it much more than the CD drive. Also one uses the screen much more.

Oh and ifyou really want to watch movies. The HD downloads in ituens at 2.99-3.99 are great.

Anyways J, youre not an idiot but the guy who wrote the blog and made this thread is!

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I would like to add that a lot of marketing has to do with creating products that fit peoples needs. I am sure much research went into this in order to create this product.

And there are many tests designed to find out what people really want. Usually when you ask them they dont really know. They think they do but they really dont. Its hard for people to put what they really want into words. Its simple psychology.

This happened with Prego, Ragu and a number of other products on the planet.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Oh, BTW, the eee-PC has more features that most people want/need (i.e. less crap to carry around) and it starts at $400.

Cool thing about it is you can hack it and put OSX on it if you're looking for a cheap laptop with a Mac OS.

Although I think people do take it over the top w/ the Mac Air hate, It does not replace their current line of PowerBook laptops, which will as a result of the technology behind the Air, become thinner, lighter, and maintain all the ports and drives necessary to be considered functional for a business/ power user.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Wow, you appleheads are so touchy.
I'm a PC user for what it's worth, but I know BS when I see it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads