or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › 10 Reasons why you shouldn't buy a Macbook Air
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

10 Reasons why you shouldn't buy a Macbook Air - Page 2

post #16 of 135
I love that blog so much. That's going to become an internet meme, I'm sure of it.
post #17 of 135
No ethernet, multiple usb, or dvd? I'm sure it'll impress people at the office until they find out how many fundamental features its missing.
post #18 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin View Post
I'm a PC user for what it's worth, but I know BS when I see it.

BS? What's factually inaccurate about that article?
post #19 of 135
None of my PCs have had the SD reader, including the Thinkpad I'm on now. I gotta say, after going back to XP, Windoze is absolute *crap*.

The Air will include more things next version I'm sure. I'm surprised they haven't put all the extra crap people might want, extra USB ports, SD reader, etc on the auxiliary DVD drive.

Once I get some cash I'm going to shell out for another Apple, and I HATE them as a corporation just as much as M$, but OS X is way better than XP, simple as that. I'd be content to use Linux, which is almost there, but it lacks Office and CS3, which is the only thing that is keeping it from taking a huge jump in the market IMO.
post #20 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector View Post
I gotta say, after going back to XP, Windoze is absolute *crap*.

If we're going to have this thread, then I gotta say that MacOS is crap compared to WinXP.

The marketers-wet-dream personal information form you have to complete just to install the thing.

The inconsistency: no, the default wireless network setup tool won't configure WPA2, try one of the other two that come with MacOS for no good reason.

The crashes.

The clumsy interface.

The look and feel. About as subtle and attractive as rhinestones and gold lame stapled to my charcoal suits.

Apple's psychopathic attitude. "We told you the Boot Camp Beta expired the day FuzzyKitten shipped. Why are you surprised that our update to ToxoplasManx deleted your Windows partition and all its data that morning?"
post #21 of 135
There is no command line in XP. With Linux and OS X both supporting Unix shells, they won't be able to get away with it for much longer.
post #22 of 135
All of these judgments are subjective, or situation dependent. MacBook Air does exactly what I need it to, and no more or less. The EEE wouldn't work for me. YMMV. Of course.

I do love, however, the way SWPL keeps popping up in other threads.
post #23 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn View Post
BS? What's factually inaccurate about that article?
Shall I write a list (or "article") on why people shouldn't buy a new BMW, a new LCD TV, or a new Cray Supercomputer? It was written to goad people into visiting their site for page hits and getting dugg, that's all.
post #24 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector View Post
There is no command line in XP.

Yes, there is.
post #25 of 135
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghulkhan View Post
Anyways J, youre not an idiot but the guy who wrote the blog and made this thread is!

There is no need to bash me because you like the macbook air and I don't. I wouldn't call you an idiot if you wanted to buy one. I'm just saying it doesn't have most of the features that I would normally use so therefore it is not right for me.
post #26 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector View Post
There is no command line in XP. With Linux and OS X both supporting Unix shells, they won't be able to get away with it for much longer.
Start Menu -> Run... -> cmd

Make the check out to cash.
post #27 of 135
Double post.
post #28 of 135
I just bought an XPS M1330. 2.2 GHz vs 1.6 GHz 2 USB vs 1 USB Ethernet, SD slot, DVD burner, fingerprint reader vs none 250 GB 5400 RPM vs 80 GB 4200 RPM 3GB RAM vs 2GB RAM 128MB dedicated graphics vs integrated $950 out the door vs $1800 + tax 4 lb vs 3 lb
post #29 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
I just bought an XPS M1330. 2.2 GHz vs 1.6 GHz 2 USB vs 1 USB Ethernet, SD slot, DVD burner, fingerprint reader vs none 250 GB 5400 RPM vs 80 GB 4200 RPM 3GB RAM vs 2GB RAM 128MB dedicated graphics vs integrated $950 out the door vs $1800 + tax 4 lb vs 3 lb
Stop trying to use logic on them. It doesn't work. Someone will invariably bring up the following points. A: The Apple looks better (a matter of taste, obviously, that I disagree with) B: Dude... you got a Dell! C: Too bad you are still running Windoze! OSX is so much better! D: ...but its a pound heavier! I just thought I'd beat them to the punch to show how predictable they are.
post #30 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
I just bought an XPS M1330.

2.2 GHz vs 1.6 GHz
2 USB vs 1 USB
Ethernet, SD slot, DVD burner, fingerprint reader vs none
250 GB 5400 RPM vs 80 GB 4200 RPM
3GB RAM vs 2GB RAM
128MB dedicated graphics vs integrated
$950 out the door vs $1800 + tax
4 lb vs 3 lb

That's one hell of a deal. Good work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › 10 Reasons why you shouldn't buy a Macbook Air