or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

things that are making you happy - Page 2741

post #41101 of 45500
Watched all the way with LBJ. I'm not a history buff but I really enjoyed. Didn't know Martin Luther king was a womanizer
post #41102 of 45500
Yup. A plagiarist, too. Everyone, even the greatest among us, has their flaws.
post #41103 of 45500
Yeah I saw his freedom ring speech side by side with the other one.

MLK's version is far superior but he used the same poem and same theme
post #41104 of 45500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Yup. A plagiarist, too. Everyone, even the greatest among us, has their flaws.

LBJ was in no way the greatest among us. He was a piece of shit.
post #41105 of 45500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

LBJ was in no way the greatest among us. He was a piece of shit.

He is one of the most flawed and fascinating presidents in our history. A political mastermind who was a terrible human being.

LBJ went to parties with his wife and hit on hot women. He would turn to Lady Bird and yell, "Bird, why can't you wear a dress like this? Why can't you be pretty?"

And then there's the whole dominance thing with his staff. LBJ made them into slaves and sometimes dictated to them while he took a dump. uhoh.gif
post #41106 of 45500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Yeah I saw his freedom ring speech side by side with the other one.

MLK's version is far superior but he used the same poem and same theme

He also plagiarized parts of his dissertation, which is kind of a bigger deal than cribbing a speech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

LBJ was in no way the greatest among us. He was a piece of shit.

I was talking about MLK.

Also, the criticisms about LBJ are not without merit, but the man did know how to order a pair of pants.
post #41107 of 45500
I was under the impression that the dissertation was improperly cited and thus the seminary decides not to revoke his doctorate
post #41108 of 45500
Num pang.
post #41109 of 45500
When I get a dog I'm going to name him pork chop.

In b4 racist joaks.
post #41110 of 45500
i'm going name mine emergency rations. Em for short
post #41111 of 45500
Dude that's fucked up
post #41112 of 45500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Num pang.

 

The one on 41st is always filled with obnoxious people who probably describe themselves as "foodies." Good sammiches though.

post #41113 of 45500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

The one on 41st is always filled with obnoxious people who probably describe themselves as "foodies." Good sammiches though.

That's the one next to my hoatel. I wish the sammies had jalapeñoas. Would make it ace.
post #41114 of 45500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post


That's the one next to my hoatel. I wish the sammies had jalapeñoas. Would make it ace.

 

I just squirt a ton of Sriracha on mine. Heat is heat. My favorite place in the area is Sophie's Cuban though. Fried pork chunks with aji sauce is money. 

post #41115 of 45500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

I was under the impression that the dissertation was improperly cited and thus the seminary decides not to revoke his doctorate

Well, plagiarism is, by definition, a failure to cite properly, but it was definitely more than just improper citations. I don't want to keep beating on it, because I think it's relatively insignificant when compared to the good he accomplished, but simply calling it "improperly cited" understates the reality. It's not like he made a mistake in attribution; he flat-out lifted without attribution. It was severe enough that the panel that researched it placed a permanent note on the library copy of his dissertation that discusses their findings.

As far as the decision not to revoke his doctorate, I can't pretend I know enough about that decision, or the process in general, to be critical or supportive of the logic, but, regardless of what the stated reason was, I certainly don't begrudge that panel not wanting to be the people who posthumously stripped MLK of his doctorate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy