or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

things that are making you happy - Page 2714

post #40696 of 44797
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

I tried a beer once it was called "Wheach." It was a peach wheat beer and it was awful. If that's indicative of what the beer nerds are putting out there on the market these days, I will stick to my byrrh thank you very much. (Byrrh comes in a container called "bottle.")

You tried the wrong type. is amazeballs.
post #40697 of 44797
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

I hate Southern Comfort and would never drink it but I also wouldn't post on a message board a NY Times length article about how bad it is and why everyone who drinks it are inferior to me.

 

I like Southern Comfort, and drink it frequently, but similarly do not care if others dislike it.  Unless, of course, so many people start to dislike it, that they stop making it.  Then I would have to post in the pissing you off thread.

post #40698 of 44797
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

I tried a beer once it was called "Wheach." It was a peach wheat beer and it was awful. If that's indicative of what the beer nerds are putting out there on the market these days, I will stick to my byrrh thank you very much. (Byrrh comes in a container called "bottle.")

 

To paraphrase what all of us beer nerds will tell you, the whole point is variety, and matching your beer to your food, the season, your mood, etc, and to find the ones that suit your own tastes.  So, basically, no craft beer is indicative of what we are talking about.  It's entirely possible that you dislike either, or both of, wheat beers, and beers containing fruit.  What's your byrrh of choice?

post #40699 of 44797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post

To paraphrase what all of us beer nerds will tell you, the whole point is variety, and matching your beer to your food, the season, your mood, etc, and to find the ones that suit your own tastes.  So, basically, no craft beer is indicative of what we are talking about.  It's entirely possible that you dislike either, or both of, wheat beers, and beers containing fruit.  What's your byrrh of choice?

I was really just kidding. I did actually try Wheach and I did actually dislike it. But I don't enjoy beer all that much in general, and so I don't have a horse in the race ("dog in the fight"). Speaking as an outsider to the scene, it is funny to see people getting in heated discussions about which ingredients accord with propriety of beer and which do not. But I guess all scenes devoted to some specialized activity are like that to some degree.

My byrrh is Byrrh Grand Quinquina.

post #40700 of 44797
huh looks like i was wrong about gruit

http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2014/02/28/was-it-ever-gruit-britain-the-herb-ale-tradition/

also would not hit


although it looks like there are quite a bit of medieval english recipes for herb ales before hopped beers came through the dutch. i just can't tell how prevalent it was
Edited by indesertum - 3/7/14 at 3:55pm
post #40701 of 44797
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

As opposed to the people that know beer from blogs and repeat the same trite 'truths' verbatim?

Believe it or not, there are people who actually try to drink as many different beers as possible and form their own opinions.
post #40702 of 44797
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post


I was really just kidding. I did actually try Wheach and I did actually dislike it. But I don't enjoy beer all that much in general, and so I don't have a horse in the race ("dog in the fight"). Speaking as an outsider to the scene, it is funny to see people getting in heated discussions about which ingredients accord with propriety of beer and which do not. But I guess all scenes devoted to some specialized activity are like that to some degree.
 

 

I find that stuff interesting, in terms of history, and evolution of beer. Naming conventions are useful, in that they help you know what you're getting, but as long as you be sure to tell people that there is something unusual in your beer, I don't care.  I'd be annoyed if a beer was labelled a Pilsner but turned out to have cocoa powder in it, with no warning.  (Also it sounds like a terrible idea to me) But generally, if they put things in beer, and I think they don't taste good, the extent of my protest is normally not drinking that beer, and probably telling my beer nerd friends that I don't like it, and why.  I commissioned a cask of peach wheat ale for my wedding, and it was pretty fantastic.  Also pretty cool that it was a one night only performance, and made specially for my wife, our guests, and me.

post #40703 of 44797
That is very cool about the peach wheat ale!

The only such brew I have ever tried was the aforementioned Wheach. The name should have prevented me from trying it all by itself. But the peach logo with a face on it drew me in.
post #40704 of 44797
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

That is very cool about the peach wheat ale!

The only such brew I have ever tried was the aforementioned Wheach. The name should have prevented me from trying it all by itself. But the peach logo with a face on it drew me in.

 

Shock top does that to me sometimes, even though I know it's pretty mediocre.  It is just plain tasty/refreshing on a hot summer day, if not special.

post #40705 of 44797
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

As opposed to the people that know beer from blogs and repeat the same trite 'truths' verbatim?

I provide reasons for liking some stuff. I hope I provided some information along with it. Take it or leave it.

besides the fact that beer is cheap enough for people to go form their own opinions, your information is far superior because why? opinions on blogs aren't as good as your own opinionst?

the thing that gets me is you have this smug superior attitude towards american (beer drinkers) claiming they don't know have taste ("i.e. ability to appreciate and consider things for what they are, not what they represent") but then it turns out your ability to appreciate and consider things doesn't go very far. and then you make generalizations about american beers but then it turns out you've never even really stepped in a beer store in the us. and then you support your assertions by saying it's just your opinion
post #40706 of 44797
I was making beer before some of you were born. This statement brought to you by the Beer Store (Ontario monopoly govt. run store) strike in the 80s and Reinheitsgebot.
post #40707 of 44797
Betimes when I am at home all by myself, I neglect to button all the buttons of my jeans hey why even bother? (I do button the top button, though, it would be ridiculous not to.)
post #40708 of 44797
making me happy- enjoyed a few bottles of very cold local factory-produced beer last night, in this bar on the rooftop just down the street and the weather was breezy and we had a nice view of the city and the wife and I weren't talking about how this beer stinks compared to the one time I bought this growler of beer made by monks that only produce 3 bottles a day and I had to fly off to this dark corner of a deep forest in europe just to pick up my one bottle.
post #40709 of 44797
Took a mental health day today and spent it with Mrs. Piob. Got up early and went shooting, ramen at this local place that just makes killer broth, installed new tubes in my amplifier, took a nap, started drinking and ordered a Brooklyn style pizza, and now watching The Millers.

Mental health achieved.
post #40710 of 44797
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

making me happy- enjoyed a few bottles of very cold local factory-produced beer last night, in this bar on the rooftop just down the street and the weather was breezy and we had a nice view of the city and the wife and I weren't talking about how this beer stinks compared to the one time I bought this growler of beer made by monks that only produce 3 bottles a day and I had to fly off to this dark corner of a deep forest in europe just to pick up my one bottle.
San Miguel fucking rocks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy