or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

things that are making you happy - Page 2122

post #31816 of 46077
Oh, I'd have no problem trying it. The problem is that it's basically expected for people in many professional fields (finance, consulting, accounting, law, etc) to work way, way more than 35 hours.
post #31817 of 46077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

it has been something of a trial.

 
Wee see what you did there. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Oh, I'd have no problem trying it. The problem is that it's basically expected for people [who opt to work for one of the cookie-cutter big firms and wannabe big firms, especially if they want to be on partnership track of the equivalent] in many professional fields (finance, consulting, accounting, law, etc) to work way, way more than 35 hours.
FTFY
post #31818 of 46077
There's always this myth of "oh, well if you just go work for this tiny boutique firm, you can work on interesting things AND still go home at 5PM every day!" I've never actually met anyone for which this was true.

Sure, there are firms where you can go home at 5. They are usually paying you 60% of market rate to do work that could just as easily be outsourced to India. Very low-value stuff. Either that, or they have some niche market sewn up (i.e. they do some type of finance/law/consulting that no one else does, or they have connections that no one else does, etc). These are very, very few and far between.

As for the partnership part, most places are up-or-out, whether they explicitly say it or not. No one wants long-term middle managers hanging around. So it's generally partner track or go do something else. The whole business model is built around this.

I'm speaking mostly for finance, consulting, and accounting here. It could be a bit different in law given the breadth of different types of law, though at least in BigLaw, I'm sure it's not.

I probably won't stay in forever, specifically because I don't like the hours and pressure. But I recognize it for what it is.
post #31819 of 46077
Congrats to those getting vacations that deserve them (this DOES NOT mean you, Conne laugh.gif ) and a real hearty congrats to Hunts on finishing off what must have been an outrageously tough four years.

Happy for me is back from a three day conference. There are so many disgusting people in healthcare management. Seriously, the most unhealthy people seem to gravitate towards healthcare management. Fucking ogres and trolls.
post #31820 of 46077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

There are so many disgusting people in healthcare management. Seriously, the most unhealthy people seem to gravitate towards healthcare management. Fucking ogres and trolls.

That explains so much.
post #31821 of 46077
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Alinea tonight smile.gif
Enjoy!!!

Last week I was able to get a reservation (i.e., purchase a ticket) at Alinea for September. Have a reservation for Goosefoot on the same weekend. Excited. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #31822 of 46077
How much does it cost to eat at a place like Alinea?

The fanciest restaurant I've been to was Gary Danko. Was very very nice but I would never actively seek it out again. Was also the first time I had fois gras and I was underwhelmed.
post #31823 of 46077
Alinea is what, $200 or so for the tasting menu?

Add in tax, tip, and drinks, and you're looking at $400+ per person. Pretty standard for that type of restaurant.
post #31824 of 46077
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

How much does it cost to eat at a place like Alinea?

The fanciest restaurant I've been to was Gary Danko. Was very very nice but I would never actively seek it out again. Was also the first time I had fois gras and I was underwhelmed.

Varies by night to some extent but its about $300 per person (for full menu + tax and tip which are all paid in advance). Wine's extra.
post #31825 of 46077
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Alinea is what, $200 or so for the tasting menu?

Add in tax, tip, and drinks, and you're looking at $400+ per person. Pretty standard for that type of restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Varies by night to some extent but its about $300 per person (for full menu + tax and tip which are all paid in advance). Wine's extra.

Wow. Pretty much what I was expecting, though. Our bill for GD was around $200 per head.

It's always the wine that fucks you on the bill laugh.gif

Edit: I wonder what the margins are for these places. Must be in the high teens, I'm imagining?
post #31826 of 46077
value compared to Per Se
post #31827 of 46077

I've always been underwhelmed by super expensive restaurants, it just never seems worth it. The sweet spot seems to be $20-50 entrees. At that point a place is usually way less self-conscious and more comfortable.

post #31828 of 46077
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

value compared to Per Se
I tend to agree, though both can easily climb over 1k for two people.
post #31829 of 46077
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

I've always been underwhelmed by super expensive restaurants, it just never seems worth it. The sweet spot seems to be $20-50 entrees. At that point a place is usually way less self-conscious and more comfortable.

So easy to be snarky here but I'll refrain and just say this comment is without merit based on my personal experience.
post #31830 of 46077
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

A friend of mine's salary is based on 35 hours. He even gets straight time to work 40 hours and time and a half for time after that. He still only works 35 hours, which I think is mind boggling.

I get paid time and a half after 40 hrs. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy