or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

things that are making you happy - Page 2053

post #30781 of 46933
Glad your new gig is making you happy, T-bone.

Also, sorry to hear you're Irish. No one's perfect though and I got your back. fistbump.gif
post #30782 of 46933
LOL thanx mang. (not Irish but there's a heavy Notre Dame presence at the new gig). and very resolutely separate from IT.
post #30783 of 46933
Today a student at my university said "I like your shoes." (I was wearing brown suede AE Mora double monks.) I was happy that a student would pay attention to shoes and would like a pair of dress shoes enough to comment on them.
post #30784 of 46933
Whenever I get complimented on my shoes I go through that instinctive process about whether I should acknowledge I put any thought into them at all. The worst is when somebody asks what they are and I'm forced to play dumb, as if I have the means or interest to casually buy expensive shoes without remembering who made them, because it still feels embarrassing to just answer straight up with another person that probably cares about shoes. I usually say something clumsy like "Oh, yeah. These are my shoes for going around town."
post #30785 of 46933
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Today a student at my university said "I like your shoes." (I was wearing brown suede AE Mora double monks.) I was happy that a student would pay attention to shoes and would like a pair of dress shoes enough to comment on them.

easy A?
post #30786 of 46933
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

Whenever I get complimented on my shoes I go through that instinctive process about whether I should acknowledge I put any thought into them at all. The worst is when somebody asks what they are and I'm forced to play dumb, as if I have the means or interest to casually buy expensive shoes without remembering who made them, because it still feels embarrassing to just answer straight up with another person that probably cares about shoes. I usually say something clumsy like "Oh, yeah. These are my shoes for going around town."
lol. I bet that really makes it better
post #30787 of 46933
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

easy A?

He wasn't even my student! That actually reminds me, one of my students complimented my tie today. (It's an Hermes scarf tie.) But that seems different just because it's my student and so she had an incentive.
post #30788 of 46933
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

He wasn't even my student! That actually reminds me, one of my students complimented my tie today. (It's an Hermes scarf tie.) But that seems different just because it's my student and so she had an incentive.

he must be an astute fellow this one, then.
post #30789 of 46933
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

Whenever I get complimented on my shoes I go through that instinctive process about whether I should acknowledge I put any thought into them at all. The worst is when somebody asks what they are and I'm forced to play dumb, as if I have the means or interest to casually buy expensive shoes without remembering who made them, because it still feels embarrassing to just answer straight up with another person that probably cares about shoes. I usually say something clumsy like "Oh, yeah. These are my shoes for going around town."

Just say 'thanks'. If they prod further than it's their own fault if they find out your shoes are a lot better than their own.
post #30790 of 46933
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

Just say 'thanks'. If they prod further than it's their own fault if they find out your shoes are a lot better than their own.

Cutting it off at "thanks" is more difficult than it sounds, unless they make a passing comment. It can almost sound rude if they've made a point to acknowledge them, so I bumble another sentence together to tie it up.
post #30791 of 46933
I've never found an unsolicited explanation that improved anything.

The alternative is a trap and makes you sound as if you're embarrassed about it.
Edited by SkinnyGoomba - 4/8/13 at 9:24pm
post #30792 of 46933
I just thank them for the compliment and say how happy I was to find them at (insert discount store (Nordstrom Rack, etc) here).
post #30793 of 46933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I just thank them for the compliment and say how happy I was to find them at (insert discount store (Nordstrom Rack, etc) here).

and miss an opportunity to segway to B&S, and then explain how you are part of a mens internet style community? are you crazy?
post #30794 of 46933
I prefer the old "These cost more than your rent payment, peasant."
post #30795 of 46933
that was a solid NCAA championship game.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy