Originally Posted by Piobaire
Seems like 700 is considered "meh" these days. Not sure if that's correct or not.
the median score at the very top schools is only between 710 and 720, so I wouldn't label 700 as meh.
the quant section is getting much harder with 20-25% of GMAT exams now being taken in China. Them Azn's are good at numbers. It also means that a strong verbal score can really raise your overall score. You could score like 50th percentile in quant but 97th percentile in verbal and still end up with a 710.
Also, I think that 70% of doing well is having the knowledge and the other 30% is understanding how to maximize your time on the test with the adaptive part. My GMAT instructor advised learning a few basics of geometry, and then just forget the rest. Same with combinatorics and probability.