or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

things that are making you happy - Page 1790

post #26836 of 45256
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

rolleyes.gif You got me.
Never said it was. But the chemicals in the beans don't change significantly from the grinding process, and stored away from heat and light there's really nothing to cause much of a reaction. Any reactions that do take place would be incredibly slow, hence the extremely long shelf-life. The expiration dates are usually the same for both bean and ground forms for this reason. There's just not much of a difference. If anything, I figure mechanical agitation of the grounds would cause the coffee to deteriorate more than any chemical reaction. But I'm not a chemist and this is just my intuition, bolstered by the fact that expiration dates on ground and bean form of coffee are similar from what I recall.
Nonsense. See above. Also, the bag will not burst since it needs to reach its dimensions at standard air pressure before it even endures any strain. Not all factory-ground coffee is stored in bags, anyway.
I've never seen anyone adjust the grinder. If they do it, it's probably at the start of their shift.
He can and probably would, I'm sure. Still, I laugh at that thread when I see it because it's a big hoo-hah over nothing and not any different from the goofballs on Chowhound or whatever foodie sites there are discussing their silly pretentious hobby of seeing who has tasted the rarest foodstuffs, the vast majority of which are inferior to what's more or less considered a no-frills, no-fuss, standard version made elsewhere.
I disagree. Italian chocolate isn't the 'world-best' by any means. It's good, but it's just an inferior version of stuff from Switzerland, France, and Belgium. Specifically, I think Italians make the chocolate too sweet because otherwise it comes out too bitter. But I don't know enough about the process, I just know that I consider the chocolate boutiques and factories here to produce generally-overpriced chocolate that's too 'candied' for me.
Thanks for everyone participating in this little digression, though. It's given me a reason to check some things out and see if it'll change some old preferences.

good beans dont have expiration dates because they last forever. they have roasting dates because after a certain time there are changes in volatile gases and oils that does change the flavor of the beans. all you really have to do is buy a bag of good coffee beans and grind them and brew some coffee everyday. i promise you will notice changes after a certain point.

interesting. cary grants thread i felt was like the least foodie type thread because of the knowledge in it. he also doesnt write tripe reviews, but just photos and answers questions if you have any. and he posts a lot of no frills stuff like quality parmiggiano reggiano as well

also i'm not talking about confectioneries, but chocolate bars. italian companies like amadei and domori make some of the best chocolate. us companies like amano and patric also regularly win shows and a lot of places that traditionally just exported beans are starting to make really outstanding bars as well. if you ever read reviews you'll notice swiss is not really on the radar and belgium artisanal bars are just barely starting

the best chocolate maker in france is probably cluizel and i prefer most of the bars from the companies i listed over most of his bars

man if i were in italy i would go visit the amadei or domori factory on a weekend off
post #26837 of 45256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

Stitchy don't do kitchen.
I've yet to meet a man who doesn't do microwave, and if you can do microwave you can make these caramels lol
post #26838 of 45256
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

Nonsense. See above. Also, the bag will not burst since it needs to reach its dimensions at standard air pressure before it even endures any strain. Not all factory-ground coffee is stored in bags, anyway.

I was just quoting every good coffee roaster. Never wondered what these valves are for?

post #26839 of 45256
  • Only a week left of work until I'm on holidays for the rest of the year, beginning next Friday
  • Starting some projects at work that I'm legitimately excited about
  • I've started seeing this super rad girl

The past few weeks has been none too shabby.
post #26840 of 45256
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

making me happy today: dropped by the house we're having built- and its looking good smile.gif

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif that is an awesome feeling!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Canuker View Post

It's so easy you could make it

orly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

Stitchy don't do kitchen.

truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Canuker View Post

I've yet to meet a man who doesn't do microwave, and if you can do microwave you can make these caramels lol

i can do it!
post #26841 of 45256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

What type of law do you plan to specialize in? (If you say "med-mal" you are dead to me.)

IP is what I currently have the most experience in. Not sure if I want to stick with it. Art law interests me quite a bit, but I don't know that it is a very lucrative field.
post #26842 of 45256
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

IP is what I currently have the most experience in. Not sure if I want to stick with it. Art law interests me quite a bit, but I don't know that it is a very lucrative field.

My understanding is it's a very small field but is very lucrative if you have the connections. Good luck.
post #26843 of 45256
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

My understanding is it's a very small field but is very lucrative if you have the connections. Good luck.

Thanks! I actually might...
post #26844 of 45256
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

good beans dont have expiration dates because they last forever.

They have the same expiration dates as the pre-ground stuff. I just checked to confirm my suspicions. Also, there is nothing preventing 'good beans' from lasting forever, no matter how 'good' they might be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

also i'm not talking about confectioneries, but chocolate bars. italian companies like amadei and domori make some of the best chocolate. us companies like amano and patric also regularly win shows and a lot of places that traditionally just exported beans are starting to make really outstanding bars as well. if you ever read reviews you'll notice swiss is not really on the radar and belgium artisanal bars are just barely starting
the best chocolate maker in france is probably cluizel and i prefer most of the bars from the companies i listed over most of his bars
man if i were in italy i would go visit the amadei or domori factory on a weekend off

That's precisely the thing I was talking about before, though. I don't care what Food and Wine or anyone else says is the best. And frankly, the attitude of 'this is the world's best' or 'that is the world's best' is all pretty silly. It's not a coincidence that English-speakers regard one producer as the best and speakers of some other language might regard another as the best (what, do English-speakers all have different taste sensations or something?) -- it's simply a matter of communication and dissemination of information. One magazine writes a review, others jump on board, and soon there's a fad for everyone to do this or that or some other thing according to what some no-name nincompoop declared. What's the point of having a tongue to taste if the only things you're going to use are your eyes and ears?

That same attitude is what caused the now-fully-perverted microbrew craze in America. At some point, beer stopped being beer at all and brewers started chasing some ideal microbrew that tasted more like it was made from molasses than barley. The same occurs in the restaurant industry -- sous vide, foams, and other equally overwrought nonsense (sous vide: when Ziplock meets Eastern Europe). And bozos blogging about bacon, or why I might see the same damn 'artisanal' foods at two restaurants separated thousands of miles.

If you like microbrews because of some characteristic they have, cool, have fun. I generally don't. As long as you like it because of some intrinsic quality and not because you feel a need to fall in line with food critics then there's something to discuss.
Edited by why - 12/13/12 at 11:15am
post #26845 of 45256

Let's shift the focus to another beverage.

 

 

I have 4 gallons of apple pie 'shine cooling on the stove. Tis the season!

post #26846 of 45256
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

Let's shift the focus to another beverage.


I have 4 gallons of apple pie 'shine cooling on the stove. Tis the season!

Oh hells yes.
post #26847 of 45256
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

(...)
That's precisely the thing I was talking about before, though. I don't care what Food and Wine or anyone else says is the best. And frankly, the attitude of 'this is the world's best' or 'that is the world's best' is all pretty silly. It's not a coincidence that English-speakers regard one producer as the best and speakers of some other language might regard another as the best (what, do English-speakers all have different taste sensations or something?) -- it's simply a matter of communication and dissemination of information. One magazine writes a review, others jump on board, and soon there's a fad for everyone to do this or that or some other thing according to what some no-name nincompoop declared. What's the point of having a tongue to taste if the only things you're going to use are your eyes and ears?
(...)

Funny this comes up. I was catching up with a cousin I hadn't seen in like, forever, and he mentioned the Texas Monthly Top BBQ issue. They do this every 5 years or so, I think. Remarkably, the perennial top 5 share one thing in common: You can't easily buy from them. They might be in small towns (Luling, for Heaven's Sake!) or only do up small batches, or operate out of a trailer that's smaller than the smoking pit, - or all of the above (Franklin's I'm looking at you). They all run out early on Saturday, and once they're out, you have to wait for next week.

Now, they might indeed be superior, but it's not off the table that they're making these outlandish judgments because they know their usual reader will never be in a position to directly compare the reviewers' assertions. For instance, If I want brisket from Smitty's I have to leave the house at about 4 a.m. and then bring lots of coffee because I'll be in line for hours. And, of course, once you've invested that kind of time, you're not going to dislike it and therefore admit to having undertaken a fool's errand. Such as it is with beers and the like.

I was similarly tempted to get that belgian monk beer that they're releasing this one time ($84 for a six-pack, plus glasses) but just can't bring myself to do it, precisely for this reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

Let's shift the focus to another beverage.


I have 4 gallons of apple pie 'shine cooling on the stove. Tis the season!

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #26848 of 45256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

Funny this comes up. I was catching up with a cousin I hadn't seen in like, forever, and he mentioned the Texas Monthly Top BBQ issue.

Clive Christian No. 1 is the greatest perfume of all time.
post #26849 of 45256
My artisan bagel joint just hired a new Barista, she is like a blonde Miranda Kerr.
Just when I decided to come less frequent...

post #26850 of 45256
A few months ago, when I went to the dentist, they found a bunch of bad spots in my gums when they did the little pokey thing. I asked how they fix this, and the dentist basically said, "well, first we'll make sure you're meticulous about home care, and we'll bring you back in three months, instead of six, to do a checkup and cleaning. If that doesn't work, we'll do a procedure to help fix the problem." The procedure didn't exactly sound comfortable, so I asked if it was likely that taking perfect care of my teeth would fix it, and both the hygienist and the dentist told me it was possible but not likely I'd get better without the Roto-Rooter treatment.

Well, I had the three-month checkup/cleaning today, and everything looks great! No problems, and my gums are completely healthy. No Roto-Rootering for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

Let's shift the focus to another beverage.

I have 4 gallons of apple pie 'shine cooling on the stove. Tis the season!

drool.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy