or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

things that are making you happy - Page 1789

post #26821 of 46956
I saw something I've never seen on an exam today: I'm guessing the student couldn't quite remember the distinction between your and you're, so she hedged her bets with you'r.

Also, MrG will love this one: instead of gratification, I had a student write gradification.
post #26822 of 46956
Was he gradified with his grade?
post #26823 of 46956
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

Was he gradified with his grade?

He does not know what his grade is yet. (I can't remember, honestly, because I don't have it with me.) At any rate, if it's a good grade, I'd love to write "congradulations" at the top of the page.
post #26824 of 46956
Just made homemade caramel waiting for it to cool so I can cut it into squares and wrap smile.gif
post #26825 of 46956
Time for breakfast.

post #26826 of 46956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Canuker View Post

Just made homemade caramel waiting for it to cool so I can cut it into squares and wrap smile.gif


mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
post #26827 of 46956
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

A Segafredo opened up on 6th ave recently. Is their coffee any good? I don't know much about it.

^ that post started the styleforum coffee war of 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

Georgetown offered me an interview. Meeting with a local alumnus on Friday.

good luck on that. what position are you vying for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Canuker View Post

Just made homemade caramel waiting for it to cool so I can cut it into squares and wrap smile.gif

pm my address?

++++++++

making me happy today: dropped by the house we're having built- and its looking good smile.gif
post #26828 of 46956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens View Post

Time for breakfast.

Oh ,yes...icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #26829 of 46956
track session this morning, not really ready for it and it's way too cold - but at least I'm not hacking up the gooey yellow crap like earlier this week. win.
post #26830 of 46956
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I have and I did. I told my grandparents from there as well.

rolleyes.gif You got me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

Oxidative degradation is not the only chemical reaction.

Never said it was. But the chemicals in the beans don't change significantly from the grinding process, and stored away from heat and light there's really nothing to cause much of a reaction. Any reactions that do take place would be incredibly slow, hence the extremely long shelf-life. The expiration dates are usually the same for both bean and ground forms for this reason. There's just not much of a difference. If anything, I figure mechanical agitation of the grounds would cause the coffee to deteriorate more than any chemical reaction. But I'm not a chemist and this is just my intuition, bolstered by the fact that expiration dates on ground and bean form of coffee are similar from what I recall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens View Post

There is a reason there is an expiration date. Nothing lastst forever, not even McDonalds fries. wink.gif
Besides that I still can't see a reason to get pre-ground. The coffee roasting process causes the coffee beans to release a gas by-product, specifically carbon dioxide. This gas release process continues for several days after roasting. The peak taste time for coffee is about 1 to 3 days after the roast (fresh roasted coffee beans need 12-24hrs to degass enough for it to be drinkable. Maximum aroma is attained after degassing (1-2 days after the roast) In order to be vacuum sealed, the coffee has to first release all its CO² or it will burst the bag, which means that it must sit around for several days before it can be packaged and shipped. This sitting around begins to rob the coffee of its freshness.
The best method for packaging and shipping is in valve-sealed bags. The valve allows the carbon dioxide gasses and moisture to escape but doesn’t allow oxygen or moisture in. Therefore, the fresh roasted coffee beans can be packaged and shipped immediately after roasting, ensuring the coffee’s freshness and taste.
Valve is apparently impossible with pre-ground.

Nonsense. See above. Also, the bag will not burst since it needs to reach its dimensions at standard air pressure before it even endures any strain. Not all factory-ground coffee is stored in bags, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum 
its not a nightmare because you simply calibrate before you start your day and adjust only when you really need too.

I've never seen anyone adjust the grinder. If they do it, it's probably at the start of their shift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum 
i think cary grant would disagree you on cheese

He can and probably would, I'm sure. Still, I laugh at that thread when I see it because it's a big hoo-hah over nothing and not any different from the goofballs on Chowhound or whatever foodie sites there are discussing their silly pretentious hobby of seeing who has tasted the rarest foodstuffs, the vast majority of which are inferior to what's more or less considered a no-frills, no-fuss, standard version made elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum 
you're not looking in the right places. swiss don't make good chocolate period. they make shitty industrialized mass produced chocolate. belgians used to be the same but they stepped their game up. the italians are the world best right now with the us coming in very very close. if you dont believe me try some chocolate by patric. will blow your mind. it's different in style than amadei etc, but mindblowingly delicious.

I disagree. Italian chocolate isn't the 'world-best' by any means. It's good, but it's just an inferior version of stuff from Switzerland, France, and Belgium. Specifically, I think Italians make the chocolate too sweet because otherwise it comes out too bitter. But I don't know enough about the process, I just know that I consider the chocolate boutiques and factories here to produce generally-overpriced chocolate that's too 'candied' for me.

Thanks for everyone participating in this little digression, though. It's given me a reason to check some things out and see if it'll change some old preferences.
post #26831 of 46956
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

Georgetown offered me an interview. Meeting with a local alumnus on Friday.

Congrats.

What type of law do you plan to specialize in? (If you say "med-mal" you are dead to me.)
post #26832 of 46956
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
It's so easy you could make it
post #26833 of 46956
Got Valentines gifts for the girls taken care of and 2 Christmas presents for next year! Love that I'm ahead already!
post #26834 of 46956
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

pm my address?
++++++++
making me happy today: dropped by the house we're having built- and its looking good smile.gif

I'll send the recipe?

Nice on the house, very exciting smile.gif
post #26835 of 46956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Canuker View Post

It's so easy you could make it

Stitchy don't do kitchen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy