or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

things that are making you happy - Page 1786

post #26776 of 43932
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Because third wave coffee movement started in America.
Also, if you are using pre ground coffee for espresso you are not drinking espresso, and you are drinking old, crappy coffee.

crackup[1].gif

snork[1].gif

C'mon man. First of all, as I said, espresso manufacturers have very, very precise grinds using very advanced machines that are far better than any coffee shop could hope to do. Second of all, vacuum-packaging coffee that was roasted and ground in the same facility will preserve the freshness just as well as vacuum-packaging the beans themselves and then grinding them. Third of all, since when did you get to redefine espresso for your own purposes into something that's directly opposed to what damn near every person in Italy considers espresso to be? That's why I made the dig at America before -- because some things in American culinary culture get perverted into things that they simply are not and never were and it all becomes a big, expensive fuss for an ultimately inferior result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ 
All I am saying is that given the same beans and water there is no appreciable difference between the mid to high end espresso machines.

What kind of machines are you talking about? Are you talking about home machines?
post #26777 of 43932
CRUSHING A BREW!
CRUSHING THINGS THAT ARE MAKING YOU HAPPY!
NOT CRUSHING MY BEANS AS THE MANUFACTURER HAS ALREADY DONE THAT!
GET AT ME BRUH!

LL
post #26778 of 43932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

+3
You coffee snobs are all wrong. What really matters is the cup size of the barista. After that, it's how comfy the chairs are, and what kind of music they're playing.

Al things considered, I can say that often times the cup size of the barista is indeed the deciding factor in which bar is most popular. laugh.gif
post #26779 of 43932
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

Then they were probably all equally bad. Not unlikely, since pretty much all the machines I've seen in America produce bad coffee.
Why are coffee snobs so much more prominent in America than anywhere else in the world even though the coffee in America is so generally awful?
lol

this is like saying america has the worst beer in the world, worst chocolate in the world, worst wine in the world, worst cheese in the world
Quote:
Also, for what it's worth, espresso grinds are pretty much standardized by the manufacturer for optimum quality so I have no idea how the grinder or grind could be a factor unless you're pulverizing your already-ground coffee.

lol. i guess you buy illy or summit
post #26780 of 43932
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

crackup[1].gif
snork[1].gif
C'mon man. First of all, as I said, espresso manufacturers have very, very precise grinds using very advanced machines that are far better than any coffee shop could hope to do. Second of all, vacuum-packaging coffee that was roasted and ground in the same facility will preserve the freshness just as well as vacuum-packaging the beans themselves and then grinding them. Third of all, since when did you get to redefine espresso for your own purposes into something that's directly opposed to what damn near every person in Italy considers espresso to be? That's why I made the dig at America before -- because some things in American culinary culture get perverted into things that they simply are not and never were and it all becomes a big, expensive fuss for an ultimately inferior result.
What kind of machines are you talking about? Are you talking about home machines?

crackup[1].gif
snork[1].gif

indeed

you have no idea what you're talking about.

so what kind of espresso do Americans make that is directly opposed to what damn near every person in Italy considers espresso to be?
post #26781 of 43932
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

so what kind of espresso do Americans make that is directly opposed to what damn near every person in Italy considers espresso to be?

If espresso must be made without using pre-ground coffee, then someone better inform pretty much every bar in Italy that they're doing it wrong.
post #26782 of 43932
Not as good for sure.
post #26783 of 43932
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Not as good for sure.

If you ever go to Italy, make sure to let them know.
post #26784 of 43932
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

If espresso must be made without using pre-ground coffee, then someone better inform pretty much every bar in Italy that they're doing it wrong.

no all the shitty bars in italy that use pre-ground coffee are doing it wrong. i'm sure the land that produces gaggia and rancilio grinders have a ton of cafes that do it right, just like there's a ton of shitty cafes in the us that do it wrong and there are cafes that do it right

its simple science really. ground beans have greater surface area. greater surface area means greater exposure to air.

i dont know what to say dude. i was trained briefly in an excellent coffee shop for a few hours before and it's kind of amazing how a slight change in grind size affects flavor and color. most good coffee shops will calibrate their grind size every morning to get the same weight of coffee in each shot to account for weight change due to moisture as well as calibrate for tamping pressure differences among baristas

im tempted to call illy the folgers of italy, but a million times better than folgers
post #26785 of 43932
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

If you ever go to Italy, make sure to let them know.

why, aren't you in Italy at the moment? I thought you were on Euro time, and remember that your Italian is solid.
post #26786 of 43932
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

lol. i guess you buy illy or summit

No, as I already said, I buy the Carrefour brand because it's Caffe Vergnano which in my opinion is second only to Illy but the Carrefour brand is about 25% of the price.

I think the fact that you mentioned Illy further illustrates the general silliness (or ignorance, more aptly, if you can ignore the connotations) in America toward coffee -- Illy is one of the few Italian coffee manufacturers that exports their product throughout the world in the same form as it's found in Italy, which means it's pre-ground. So why say 'i guess you buy illy' when I mentioned the optimum grind they do in the factory? In that regard Illy is nothing in particular -- pretty much all Italian manufacturers do the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

this is like saying america has the worst beer in the world, worst chocolate in the world, worst wine in the world, worst cheese in the world

How so?
post #26787 of 43932
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I am curious to hear how this student performs on this exam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Canuker View Post

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

+2.

D
post #26788 of 43932
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

its simple science really. ground beans have greater surface area. greater surface area means greater exposure to air.

How much air is in a vacuum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas 
why, aren't you in Italy at the moment?

For another week, then I'm flying back to America for the holidays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

im tempted to call illy the folgers of italy

Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

no all the shitty bars in italy that use pre-ground coffee are doing it wrong. i'm sure the land that produces gaggia and rancilio grinders have a ton of cafes that do it right, just like there's a ton of shitty cafes in the us that do it wrong and there are cafes that do it right

I'll drop by the best-rated bars in Italy tomorrow after work and see what they do.
post #26789 of 43932

Espresso beans, never use past 15 days off roast, never use past 15 minutes after grinding.

 

A good rule.

post #26790 of 43932
I remember seeing burr grinders in use all over the place when I was in italy 3 years ago. Even random bars/restaurants were grinding.

Maybe they've made huge advances in vacuum packing in the past 3 years.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy