or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

things that are making you happy - Page 1710

post #25636 of 46995
plain.gif
post #25637 of 46995
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post

Were they quite similar?

I honestly don't know anything about how Steve Jobs dealt with people.

The Marine Corps teaches that you praise in public and reprimand in private. All the yelling and intimidation that you have seen on TV and movies is just boot camp or OCS bullshit and has nothing to do with the day to day life in the corps.
post #25638 of 46995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post

Were they quite similar?

I honestly don't know anything about how Steve Jobs dealt with people.

With lots of yelling.
post #25639 of 46995
To say that I have ill will toward the lighting fixtures in my home would be what rhetoricians call an understatement. But just now I triumphed over them and got new light bulbs installed. This should not make me happy enough to post on the Internet, but it does.
post #25640 of 46995
I have 99% CFL bulbs at home. I hate them, but I have to do my part for co2 levels...
post #25641 of 46995
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I have 99% CFL bulbs at home. I hate them, but I have to do my part for co2 levels...
Wait, so you can buy regular light bulbs and decide to get CFL bulbs? What is happening with you? frown.gif
post #25642 of 46995
Well, they cost less to run and use less watts so there is lower emissions. Simple really.
post #25643 of 46995
The light is terrible. They emit toxic gas. They don't really get recycled. They suck. tongue.gif
The 80% energy savings are a hoax. Moreover, the energy efficiency is only useful when you don't have to heat your apartment.

Be happy that you can still buy regular bulbs...
post #25644 of 46995
Well 100 watts they don't make anymore, 65 is on its way out too. The gas they emit is only harmful if broken and it is insanely small amounts. The efficiency isn't a hoax at all. I will agree that the light sucks balls, but iris still better than the horrible LED spectrum and price.
post #25645 of 46995
No, when they break the mercury gets released, which is extremely toxic -- true. However, during regular usage they emit toxic gasses too. Phenols (sp?) and so on.
Yes, the efficiency is a hoax. There's no completed study that shows 80% savings. Mostly, the energy-intense production, and more importantly recycling (fun fact: the old ones that actually get returned by the users don't really get recycled in Germany, they just dump it like radio active waist in temporary storages). Moreover, they use lightning capacity over time (and quite noticeably, I think it's something like 80% less efficiency after 2k hours).
post #25646 of 46995
I think the risk is so low it is a non issue. I'd be more concerned with frequent cell phone use.
post #25647 of 46995
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

No, when they break the mercury gets released, which is extremely toxic -- true. However, during regular usage they emit toxic gasses too. Phenols (sp?) and so on.
Yes, the efficiency is a hoax. There's no completed study that shows 80% savings. Mostly, the energy-intense production, and more importantly recycling (fun fact: the old ones that actually get returned by the users don't really get recycled in Germany, they just dump it like radio active waist in temporary storages). Moreover, they use lightning capacity over time (and quite noticeably, I think it's something like 80% less efficiency after 2k hours).

You're wrong. Buildings have switched and shown proven reductions in consumption.
post #25648 of 46995
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

You're wrong. Buildings have switched and shown proven reductions in consumption.
?
What do buildings have to do with production and recycling, moreover have they compared heating costs?
You could also use halogen lamps. It still saves energy and the light is decent.

By the way, I'm not trying to convince you to use other lamps. I'm just expressing my anger towards the EU in the wrong thread.
post #25649 of 46995
Emissions and waste is a problem with almost any energy source that isn't 100% renewable. There is no argument that cfl bulbs do not benefit consumers financially by reducing the amount of energy consumed. Obviously the environmental benefit in lower consumption can depend on the mix of electricity generation. If it is pure hydro, solar, wind than yes environmentally it might be mute. However lower demand at peak times lowers supply costs to all utility customers as well as defers utility capital expenditures. So basically it costs you less money.
post #25650 of 46995
I'm on vacation!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › things that are making you happy