• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Wear A Tie Clip

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wear my tie clip so it's horizontal, but I was just browsing through the WAYW thread and noticed many people have it pointing down at an angle. Is this intentional or accidental? Is this the contemporary way to wear it?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I always angle mine downward, and it's intentional. I don't like the way a perfectly horizontal bar bisects the tie.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the calculated casual touch of having it at a slight angle. Horizontal looks to stiff.

(One of my favorite tie clips of all time was a silver paper clip from Paul Stuart)

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's accidental, at least I hope it is. Tie clips should always be horizontal, anyone who dose otherwise is either following a lame fashion trend or just simply dosen't realize it has gotten crocked.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I think it's accidental, at least I hope it is. Tie clips should always be horizontal, anyone who dose otherwise is either following a lame fashion trend or just simply dosen't realize it has gotten crocked.

I don't think it is accidental, following of a lame fashion trend or that it has become crooked ... it has more to do with the ideal of dressing oneself without appearing to have a 'forced' look as opposed to a more effortless style...

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them horizontal. Only time I'd do it sideways is because my clip is too long for my narrow tie.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pointed downward brings an air of casualness to the outfit, which i like.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover

If it were up to people like you, we'd all look the same.

vvoc

Reaction score
speaking of tie bars...wheres a good place to buy a simple thin one for cheap? by cheap i mean under $20? something similiar to this one from jcrew but cheaper:
88041_EC6981.jpg

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I always wear mine at an angle, something about it being horizontal bothers me.

Actually, I have a minor bone to pick on where to wear it. I wear because 1.) I like it as a decoration. 2.) I like a little bit of distance between tie and chest, and by clipping the tie, you can put a bit of an arc into it. 3.) I like to stop my tie from flapping around like a fish out of water, so I clip it just above the buttoning point. I've noticed a lot of people wear their tie clips really high up which is nice, but doesn't satisfy 3. Doesn't it bother anyone that their tie is constantly trying to get away from them?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now an angled tie bar would bug me a lot.

HOWEVER, I might just leave it slightly angled, just like I might leave a sleeve button unbuttoned, just to draw attention to those who can catch it (aka girls).

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sprezzatura.
I say angle to your heart's content

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is a good place to buy ones that are only 1" wide or so? ebay has them sometimes but I have only had luck with one vintage one, the rest I mistakenly bought too wide.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Doesn't it bother anyone that their tie is constantly trying to get away from them?

It does. That's why I'm considering getting a tie clip. I don't like the look of them though, so will probably keep it at a height that's just out of sight.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
I don't think it is accidental, following of a lame fashion trend or that it has become crooked ... it has more to do with the ideal of dressing oneself without appearing to have a 'forced' look as opposed to a more effortless style...

You mean sprezzatura? I think that then the best thing is to simply refrain from using a tie clip. Tie clips always look a bit "forced", IMO; they give me the impression that the wearer is afraid of getting his tie into the soup when eating.
I know that this is not always the case, but this idea always comes to my mind when I see a tie clip.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads