or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Naked and famous denim
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Naked and famous denim - Page 489

post #7321 of 13367
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex000 View Post

How does hot soaking work? I want to hot soak as well.

 

How hot should the water be?

How long should I soak it?

Flip it inside out?

Would it help in shrinking the length? I currently have it double cuffed and it's still too long... Should I uncuff them during hot soak or leave them cuffed?

 

More info please!


Hot soaking helps shrink unsanforized (shrink-to-fit) denim with minimal indigo loss. I like to soak using the hottest water that comes out of the tap. Some people will pour in pots of boiling water during the soak to make it even hotter, but I prefer not to do that because it can destroy the leather patch. I usually soak for about an hour. I usually flip the jeans inside out before I soak, but it probably doesn't make a difference since there is no agitation. I would uncuff your jeans before you soak.

Whether soaking will shrink the length of the denim signficantly depends on whether the denim is sanforized (pre-shrunk) or unsanforized (shrink-to-fit). With N&F jeans, the only unsanforized models are the Oni collab and the Flat Head collab. All other N&F models are pre-shrunk, so hot soaking probably won't get you more than an inch of shrinkage in the length.
post #7322 of 13367
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb_32 View Post

girls have wider hips so they can rock guys' denim

and fine asses
post #7323 of 13367


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucks View Post

sorry if you've posted this, but what jeans?
when i've had to soak, i usually go 30mins with "hot" tap water and add a bit i boiled to get it hotter and i have flipped it inside out, then i've just let it dry in room temps.
my first pair of 501xx i also threw in the drier for 20mins afterwards and then took them out to see if they shrunk/still fit, then just let it air dry


Momotaro x Naked and Famous Collab 2's.

So pretty much the hottest temperature inside out for around 30minutes eh? I'm scared this process will ruin the jeans since they are quite pricey haha...


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler View Post


Hot soaking helps shrink unsanforized (shrink-to-fit) denim with minimal indigo loss. I like to soak using the hottest water that comes out of the tap. Some people will pour in pots of boiling water during the soak to make it even hotter, but I prefer not to do that because it can destroy the leather patch. I usually soak for about an hour. I usually flip the jeans inside out before I soak, but it probably doesn't make a difference since there is no agitation. I would uncuff your jeans before you soak.
Whether soaking will shrink the length of the denim signficantly depends on whether the denim is sanforized (pre-shrunk) or unsanforized (shrink-to-fit). With N&F jeans, the only unsanforized models are the Oni collab and the Flat Head collab. All other N&F models are pre-shrunk, so hot soaking probably won't get you more than an inch of shrinkage in the length.


Thanks for the info!

I know the Momotaro x Naked and Famous Collab 2's are sanforized which would mean I wouldn't get much shrinkage, but that's good since it fits pretty snug but I just want it a little tighter.

As for the length, after double cuffing they are just a tad bit too long making it look weird since it's all bunched at the bottom. So you would suggest uncuffing and then cuffing again afterwards? I was thinking of just putting it in as double cuffed and see if it would be the same..

Again, I am scared that if the water is too hot all the starch and indigo will be lost and destroy a new pair of momoXnf's.... :(

 

 

post #7324 of 13367
Quote:
Originally Posted by J BAILEY View Post

Still wondering if there are any plans to offer the 13oz indigo selvedge with tonal stitching in a cut other than the Weird Guy!



Nope. Not sure why you would want those since they have proven to not fade very well.

post #7325 of 13367
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingotripod View Post



Nope. Not sure why you would want those since they have proven to not fade very well.


agree, plus the indigo/indigo has a similar look and is a way better jean in my opinion

 

post #7326 of 13367
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex000 View Post



 


Momotaro x Naked and Famous Collab 2's.


So pretty much the hottest temperature inside out for around 30minutes eh? I'm scared this process will ruin the jeans since they are quite pricey haha...


 


Thanks for the info!


I know the Momotaro x Naked and Famous Collab 2's are sanforized which would mean I wouldn't get much shrinkage, but that's good since it fits pretty snug but I just want it a little tighter.


As for the length, after double cuffing they are just a tad bit too long making it look weird since it's all bunched at the bottom. So you would suggest uncuffing and then cuffing again afterwards? I was thinking of just putting it in as double cuffed and see if it would be the same..


Again, I am scared that if the water is too hot all the starch and indigo will be lost and destroy a new pair of momoXnf's.... frown.gif


Personally, I would uncuff before soaking, but I doubt that leaving them cuffed would cause any real problems, especially with sanforized denim. If you're just going to leave them cuffed regardless of what advice you were given, why did you even bother asking the question in the first place?

If you're worried about the soak being too hot, don't add the boiling water. Just get the tap as hot as it will get and use that temperature. Soaking, even in boiling water, won't make you lose much indigo at all. However, it will make you lose starch. If you don't want to lose the starch, don't soak.
post #7327 of 13367
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingotripod View Post



Nope. Not sure why you would want those since they have proven to not fade very well.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer311 View Post


agree, plus the indigo/indigo has a similar look and is a way better jean in my opinion

 


Thanks for the info! What's the indigo/indigo listed as on N&F's site?

post #7328 of 13367
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler View Post


Personally, I would uncuff before soaking, but I doubt that leaving them cuffed would cause any real problems, especially with sanforized denim. If you're just going to leave them cuffed regardless of what advice you were given, why did you even bother asking the question in the first place?
If you're worried about the soak being too hot, don't add the boiling water. Just get the tap as hot as it will get and use that temperature. Soaking, even in boiling water, won't make you lose much indigo at all. However, it will make you lose starch. If you don't want to lose the starch, don't soak.


Thanks for the input!

I was just asking about the cuffing to see if anyone else had any experiences with cuffed/uncuffed. I think I will be doing all this all this weekend. From the looks of it, I will probably uncuff it , hopefully my tub is big enough since the length for these are extremely long!

Noob question: Losing starch, is it a big deal? I heard it's mainly for helping make easier fades...

post #7329 of 13367
xpost

For SF Bay based - $25 for $50 at Industrie Denim

http://www.giltcity.com/san-francisco/industriedenim
post #7330 of 13367
Quote:
Originally Posted by J BAILEY View Post




Thanks for the info! What's the indigo/indigo listed as on N&F's site?

Haven't looked on the website, but I know that they call that model the Indigo/Indigo Slub on its flasher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex000 View Post



Thanks for the input!


I was just asking about the cuffing to see if anyone else had any experiences with cuffed/uncuffed. I think I will be doing all this all this weekend. From the looks of it, I will probably uncuff it , hopefully my tub is big enough since the length for these are extremely long!


Noob question: Losing starch, is it a big deal? I heard it's mainly for helping make easier fades...

If your jeans are too long for the tub, you can fold them in half to soak. I usually do this, because I usually do my soaks in the babies' bathtub.

Losing starch is not a big deal, IMO. The starch does give the denim a lot of its stiffness, though, which helps the fades. Also, you won't lose all of the starch from just one soak, it takes multiple soaks/washes to do that.
post #7331 of 13367
Quote:
Originally Posted by J BAILEY View Post

 


Thanks for the info! What's the indigo/indigo listed as on N&F's site?



datniche is selling a pair of 29s and 30s, go message him

post #7332 of 13367
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooAwesome View Post



datniche is selling a pair of 29s and 30s, go message him

They were selling at Barney's for 79, might be able to dig one up if you are lucky
post #7333 of 13367
I just crumple mine into a bucket. It doesn't matter IMO.
post #7334 of 13367
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex000 View Post



Thanks for the input!

I was just asking about the cuffing to see if anyone else had any experiences with cuffed/uncuffed. I think I will be doing all this all this weekend. From the looks of it, I will probably uncuff it , hopefully my tub is big enough since the length for these are extremely long!

Noob question: Losing starch, is it a big deal? I heard it's mainly for helping make easier fades...

Honestly mate I wouldn't soak. If you want, go get the jeans hemmed. The only thing you should be doing is wearing the jeans all day everyday! You won't get any shrinkage that will last more than a day before they stretch right back out. The only way to really shrink your jeans good and proper is to wash them with hot water and put them in the dryer.....but that will destroy any reason you bought raw denim in the first place. 
 

 

post #7335 of 13367
who hot soaks sanforized denim unless you really dont like all the starch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Naked and famous denim