or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Naked and famous denim
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Naked and famous denim - Page 803

post #12031 of 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach4134 View Post

As far as I know, yes, essentially. However I've never owned a pair so I couldn't tell you if there's any difference in quality; or anything for that matter. Hence why I'm asking the question. I like the darker color of the ele 3's, they would probably have better contrast after a lot of wear, but I'm looking for any other reasons to justify spending that much more on them.
Since this is the 3rd edition of the Elephants, the original concept is overlooked. They are called "Elephants" because the textures resembles Elephant skin, the outer texture is rigid while the weft is soft and gentle. More comfortable than most heavyweight denims. The Dark and rich indigo color is absolutely beautiful if it resembles the original ones.

You should get the Elephants!
post #12032 of 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by valjester View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Unbranded and Naked and Famous essentially the same product?

 

Same maker, different product.  Besides the sizing differences between the two brands, N&F tends to have more interesting fabrics, plays with dyes and fabric colors, and engages in collaborations with some regularity.

 

Unbranded is more to get high quality Japanese denim at the lowest price point by forgoing branding and the frills.  They have a set lineup that hasn't had too many additions lately and they have kept the price point down.

post #12033 of 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecco View Post

Same maker, different product.  Besides the sizing differences between the two brands, N&F tends to have more interesting fabrics, plays with dyes and fabric colors, and engages in collaborations with some regularity.

Unbranded is more to get high quality Japanese denim at the lowest price point by forgoing branding and the frills.  They have a set lineup that hasn't had too many additions lately and they have kept the price point down.
I have and wear both I just find them different not really better or worse . I do have apair of N&F spr skinny lht that I havent worn yet that just might push me into the N&F camp tho
post #12034 of 13357

bullshiet.......its essentially ele1 with a beige weft and cost more than the ele2s

post #12035 of 13357

If the Unbranded came anywhere close to fitting me like size 29 WGs then I'd be all over that shit.  

 

And the EL3s are lighter than the EL2s.  19 vs 22.  I wonder what accounts for the markup.

post #12036 of 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecco View Post

And the EL3s are lighter than the EL2s.  19 vs 22.  I wonder what accounts for the markup.

Nothing, they just charge more because they know consumers will still buy the Elephant series.
post #12037 of 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by valjester View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Unbranded and Naked and Famous essentially the same product?

come from the same owners of n&f, practically the same fits
pretty much unbranded is n&f without the quality control, cheaper indigo, and starchier denim.(that means faster fading that makes you think you have quality jeans)

E3's! im actually kind of happy for these, Im hoping they fade anywhere close to the BIGxNF collabo from when this brand first started out, I've been dying for a pair of those and these are the closest thing to it sadly. Im loving that they decided to chain stitch the hem again, i was kind of bummed out they skimped out of the quality on they e2's when they had a lock stitch hem and only chain stiched one line in the pockets.

probably be my last pair of NF till i move to something better(and lighter and actually japanese) from Self Edge

Im still working on my E2's, Ill probably post pictures after my Vegas/EDC trip. anyone going? icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #12038 of 13357


Anybody know if these are n&f? They look like double sided camos but they have that little pocket on the front.
post #12039 of 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecco View Post

If the Unbranded came anywhere close to fitting me like size 29 WGs then I'd be all over that shit.  

And the EL3s are lighter than the EL2s.  19 vs 22.  I wonder what accounts for the markup.

Weight does not determine price. E3 uses a more expensive fabric compared to E2. Between E2 and E3, E2 was a much tighter weave and full of starch and E3 has slack weave feel (good amount of flex in the fabric) and richer color due to the beige yarn. I personally like E3 a lot more than E2.

Unbranded heavyweights are impossible to beat for the price. For those who simply want a heavyweight, get it. Unbranded is also a standard indigo color with contrast stitching and E3 has a tonal stitch making it look more like pant, slightly dressier.
post #12040 of 13357
Naked and Famous "Skinny Guy" 12oz Selvedge Chino in Petrol Blue


The widely-popular Naked & Famous chinos are being produced in new colors....and in the Skinny Guy fit! Our first shipment of the fall 2012 lineup included this beautiful light blue green chino that N&F calls "Petrol Blue". The chino we received in this shipment is the Skinny Guy version, but Weird Guy is coming soon! Like their denim, these 12oz chinos are made entirely from Japanese materials and assembled in Canada. These chinos feature your standard 5 pocket design with a button fly closure, and are a great alternative to denim on days you just feel like wearing something different.

Naked and Famous "Skinny Guy" 12oz Selvedge Chino in Petrol Blue
* The "Skinny Guy" fit is slim in the thigh with a medium rise and has a slight taper from mid-thigh to the leg opening.
* Custom engraved hardware with Naked & Famous logos
* 5 pocket, button fly closure
* Exposed pocket selvedge
* 12oz sanforized red lined selvedge denim woven on vintage shuttle looms in Japan.
* Cowhide eather patch
* 100% cotton
* Made in Canada






Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7430002

More details can be seen on our latest blog post: http://blueowlworkshop.blogspot.com/2013/06/naked-and-famous-skinny-guy-12oz.html
post #12041 of 13357

I have read that Unbranded 21oz fades very easily, which seems like both a good and bad thing. Not having to do much work for an extended amount of time means quicker fades (will they look as nice?) but that also may take away from the feeling of putting a lot of work into your denim.. Not so sure how I feel about it.

Jay, I definitely like the color of the E3's better... are they expected to take forever to get any fades in? And also, I'm curious as to which size to get if I go for the E3's... I seem to have had a tougher time fitting into denim as the heavier weights are much more rigid and tough and extremely uncomfortable for a while if I can get them on. I had picked up a 14oz pair of Red Cores at one point but I quickly realized I needed to size up from my 12oz pair. So, I'm having a tough time deciding which size to go for in the E3's (33 or 34, 34 being my current NF size; so it's only a one inch difference as opposed to a full 2 inches). You mentioned that they have more flexibility in the fabric, so does that mean I may be better suited with the 33 or stick with a 34? I'm also losing a little weight, but not sure how much size difference it will equate to, and I probably won't lose much throughout the leg. I would think about ordering both sizes, and just returning the one that didn't seem like it would end up fitting as well, however I would feel like a bit of a dick doing that, and I'd have to pay return shipping.. It's too bad there's no other way I can try things on.. There aren't any NF retailers around me.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.


Edited by zach4134 - 6/17/13 at 9:08am
post #12042 of 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccabe View Post

The elephant 2's actually faded pretty fast.
Also the fades look awesome and the jeans last for much longer than usual, they also provide a lot of warmth if you live somewhere cold.

If I lived in a cold country I would never stop wearing heavyweight denim.

I live in Canada and there is absolutely no need for heavyweight denim. Anything above 17 oz is excessive.
post #12043 of 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potsnu View Post


I live in Canada and there is absolutely no need for heavyweight denim. Anything above 17 oz is excessive.

 

 

I just got back from fishing in Canada and appreciated the heavier weight (even though its June).  There's alot of temperature fluctuation in Manitoba between dusk and dawn and I appreciated the heavier fabric's ability to keep me warm in the morning.  I also appreciated the extra protection the heavier denim gave me from fishhooks.

 

Nobody needs 21oz denim.  No one needs to spend over $100 on denim either, for that matter.  But for what its worth, heavier denim does offer more warmth and wind resistance than lighter weights.
 

post #12044 of 13357
You guys should just invest in thermal underwear if you want warmth.
post #12045 of 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach4134 View Post

I have read that Unbranded 21oz fades very easily, which seems like both a good and bad thing. Not having to do much work for an extended amount of time means quicker fades (will they look as nice?) but that also may take away from the feeling of putting a lot of work into your denim.. Not so sure how I feel about it.


Jay, I definitely like the color of the E3's better... are they expected to take forever to get any fades in? And also, I'm curious as to which size to get if I go for the E3's... I seem to have had a tougher time fitting into denim as the heavier weights are much more rigid and tough and extremely uncomfortable for a while if I can get them on. I had picked up a 14oz pair of Red Cores at one point but I quickly realized I needed to size up from my 12oz pair. So, I'm having a tough time deciding which size to go for in the E3's (33 or 34, 34 being my current NF size; so it's only a one inch difference as opposed to a full 2 inches). You mentioned that they have more flexibility in the fabric, so does that mean I may be better suited with the 33 or stick with a 34? I'm also losing a little weight, but not sure how much size difference it will equate to, and I probably won't lose much throughout the leg. I would think about ordering both sizes, and just returning the one that didn't seem like it would end up fitting as well, however I would feel like a bit of a dick doing that, and I'd have to pay return shipping.. It's too bad there's no other way I can try things on.. There aren't any NF retailers around me.


Thanks for everyone's input so far.

I am normally a WG 30 and a SG 31. I sized up one on E2 due to the weight and lack of flexibility in the fabric. I am WG 30 and SG 31 in E3 and they fit tight but very comfortably and they look like they will stretch much easier tha fabrics like E2 or Deep Indigo. I would go your normal WG and SG size on this fabric. In your case I feel 34 is your normal size being what you own in Red Core.

You should measure a denim that fits well and compare to our posted measurements to comfirm your sizing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Naked and famous denim