or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want? - Page 152

post #2266 of 2376
If you can get them for $1300 with a sub that is a steal, jump on that. They have a good overal response but will need the aid of a sub in most rooms to really fill in the bottom end, even more so if you plan to use them for HT duties. The ZUs are good speakers but lacked the enveloping sound you get from a panel, the MLs are almost as easy to drive so they should work with just about any amp. If you have any hankering to experience panels the ESL are a great first speaker, they are the most cohesive design ML has offered at this price point.
post #2267 of 2376
Ok, so I got a good deal on a new set of Bowers & Wilkins C5 Headphones. I was putting off getting new ones because I really didn't "need" new headphones, but I wanted some. Then, of course, this weekend during a 2.5 hour trip to Philly my Bose headphones broke within the first 5 minutes of the trip I had no choice.

So far I love the B&W C5. I was very surprised how clean they sound and the bass response is so punchy. Much more natural sound than most earbuds that I have tried. Bose to me sound very high-mid to trebly. These seem much more balanced and more like my Peachtree Audio Nova at home. I am happy about that. So all in, all I am happy.
post #2268 of 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Ok, so I got a good deal on a new set of Bowers & Wilkins C5 Headphones. I was putting off getting new ones because I really didn't "need" new headphones, but I wanted some. Then, of course, this weekend during a 2.5 hour trip to Philly my Bose headphones broke within the first 5 minutes of the trip I had no choice.

So far I love the B&W C5. I was very surprised how clean they sound and the bass response is so punchy. Much more natural sound than most earbuds that I have tried. Bose to me sound very high-mid to trebly. These seem much more balanced and more like my Peachtree Audio Nova at home. I am happy about that. So all in, all I am happy.

I tried the C5, and they were a no go for me. If I was going to use earbuds, I would go with Etymotic ER-4P if you are comfortable with in ear buds. They are by far the best sounding buds I've tried, though I have yet to try the top of the line Shure.
post #2269 of 2376
Those are also 3x what I paid for the C5's.
post #2270 of 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Those are also 3x what I paid for the C5's.

At full retail, yes. I bought my ER-4P's for $170 (forgot exactly when/where I bought them), but they do go on sale from time to time.
post #2271 of 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girardian View Post

If anyone here is interested in *incredible* sounding vintage gear, drop me a PM. I have an ultra-rare amp and preamp that sound and look amazing. They are beasts, though, so if space is an issue these are not for you.

Pictured: Onkyo M5090 Amp and matching P-3090 preamp. Additional details available via PM. These are *not* inexpensive.




Love those, but I couldn't even justify 504 money. Those vu meters are the sickness - spent much time watching them on a 506 ba k in the day.

~ H
post #2272 of 2376
Thinking about getting a Bose Soundlink II Bluetooth speaker to keep in the OR. Do you have any experience with this or any other Bluetooth speaker you would recommend?
post #2273 of 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins_student View Post

Thinking about getting a Bose Soundlink II Bluetooth speaker to keep in the OR. Do you have any experience with this or any other Bluetooth speaker you would recommend?

My sister has one. It sounds like dogshit. Well, in the unit's defense they all do. These are the modern equivalent of the guy from the 80's with a radio on his shoulder cruising down the street.




To start with, bluetooth is a bad vehicle for sound transmission. I don't have it around, but I read a stereophile article a while back about it. Next, these self contained units can't properly image stereo and the quality of their drivers are as bad as earbuds.

For relatively little money, the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR represent extraordinary value at $129. Really an astonishing speaker for the money.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/surpassing-expectations-pioneers-andrew-jones

http://www.stereophile.com/content/entry-level-33

Couple this with the fantastic NAD D 3020 for $499 and you've got a solid starter system. And, if you must, it has bluetooth. The 3020 has a fantastic pedigree, it was the original high end budget amp. I turned a friend onto this amp and she loves it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/amplifiers-preamps-processors/nad-d-3020/4505-7871_7-35757056.html

http://www.stereophile.com/content/entry-level-35

Don't buy a self contained unit.
post #2274 of 2376
I need something that is easily transportable from OR to OR and even hospital to hospital. Sound quality isn't terribly important because you can't hear too well over the drone of the suction and monitors. I just need something to make semi pleasing noise.
post #2275 of 2376
If that's the case if just go to Best buy and pick the one that sounds the best to you.
post #2276 of 2376
This would look pretty sweet in the operating room. Definitely would inspire faith in your patients
post #2277 of 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins_student View Post

I need something that is easily transportable from OR to OR and even hospital to hospital. Sound quality isn't terribly important because you can't hear too well over the drone of the suction and monitors. I just need something to make semi pleasing noise.

We have a doctor doing air guitar in the OR, ha ha.

Since sound quality isn't of much importance, I can't be of much use since I don't keep abreast of these types of units. I think Patrick is right, just some basic unit from Best Buy is fine for your needs.
post #2278 of 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins_student View Post

Thinking about getting a Bose Soundlink II Bluetooth speaker to keep in the OR. Do you have any experience with this or any other Bluetooth speaker you would recommend?

 

You may want to have a look at the Peachtree Audio DeepBlue unit ($399) reviewed here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/526-peachtree-audio-deepblue-review/ 

 

or the Soundmatters foxL DASH7 ($219) reviewed here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/557-soundmatters-foxl-dash7-review/

 

I have no personal experience with either, but I've generally found Chris Connaker's reviews to be trustworthy.

post #2279 of 2376
I love my nova
post #2280 of 2376

Weird timing - decided to sell my iNova and Paradigm Studio 10 v.5's today. Believe you talked me into Peachtree.

 

lefty

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?