or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want? - Page 140

post #2086 of 2378
Woo hoo... just picked up a Naim NAC 62 today.

224
post #2087 of 2378
Thanks for the help guys. Just curious: Say I but these things....is there a cheap way to accesorize them with anything cheap to maximize the sound quality they give? Keep in mind I'm just listening to music in my 15' x 12'work room. I think I'm gonna procrastinate on audiophilia for now.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342396062&sr=8-1&keywords=klipsch+computer
post #2088 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

Thanks for the help guys. Just curious: Say I but these things....is there a cheap way to accesorize them with anything cheap to maximize the sound quality they give? Keep in mind I'm just listening to music in my 15' x 12'work room. I think I'm gonna procrastinate on audiophilia for now.
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342396062&sr=8-1&keywords=klipsch+computer

Not really. You're either going to have to abandon the fidelity or spend the extra money. Again, your system is only as good as the weakest piece. With your budget better speaker cable isnt going to matter.

Those Klipsch speakers are pretty much crap, but they will sound better than computer speakers. Just accept what they are.
post #2089 of 2378
what is the rest of your system? I am a big naim guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Woo hoo... just picked up a Naim NAC 62 today.
224
post #2090 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRose View Post

what is the rest of your system? I am a big naim guy.

I have a Nait 3 that runs a pair of Linn Kelidiths - brilliant combination. I have another set of Keilidiths bi-amped with a Linn LK100 and LK140 and the Nait sounds better, amazing little amp.

That NAC 62 is working with a NAP 180. Its running either a set of KEF 103.2's or a set of 107's. Not sure which speaker its better suited for yet. I have been auditioning the 62 against a Sugden preamp I've had a few years. Will probably keep the naim stuff together since it does tend to sound better together.

Would own more of it were it not so damn expensive.

What are you running?
post #2091 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Woo hoo... just picked up a Naim NAC 62 today.
224

Nice, enjoy it.

-LR
post #2092 of 2378
started with an LP12 and arcam alpha into original Nait into Lynn Index
then went Naim Credos, Nait 3, CD3
then CD5, Nait 5
then CDX2
then........
found that I just wasn't listening enough. Had sold the LP12 long ago (regrets) but I didn't regret selling the CDX2 (although it was amazing, I'm just not getting the use and I realized that in a few more years it will be worth little) and the Nait 5 and I bought a Unitiqute. Still trying to figure out how to work it. And still have those Naim Credos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

I have a Nait 3 that runs a pair of Linn Kelidiths - brilliant combination. I have another set of Keilidiths bi-amped with a Linn LK100 and LK140 and the Nait sounds better, amazing little amp.
That NAC 62 is working with a NAP 180. Its running either a set of KEF 103.2's or a set of 107's. Not sure which speaker its better suited for yet. I have been auditioning the 62 against a Sugden preamp I've had a few years. Will probably keep the naim stuff together since it does tend to sound better together.
Would own more of it were it not so damn expensive.
What are you running?
post #2093 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Just accept what they are.

Yeah. I've come to the conclusion that the nuance of the 4th chair oboe will have to articulate itself in my imagination.
post #2094 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

More than adequate. That Synology is a nice unit for the $.
The thing that sucks about all of this is that you have to mirror everything so it doubles the investment. There is a guy in my area that gets ex-govt hardware and sells it on. I bought a cisco gigabit network switch thru him for peanuts as well as a bunch of other office hardware. He accepts wishlists and I asked him for a real enterprise level NAS with like 12 or 16 disk capacity. That way I can scale out to 32TB without needing more hardware or another unit for backups. Something like this:
image-specs-NAS355LX_04.jpg
Great thing about one of these units is that you can setup all sorts of raid arrays to mirror disks automatically so you never have to touch it once configured.
Wire with CAT6.

If you have a basement where you can put a server like that then go for it, but be aware that rackmount servers are typically very very loud and that you really wouldn't want one in an apartment or condo. I have their 5 bay unit that's expandable to 15 and it probably makes more sense for most people. You can still go up to 45TB with the expansions but you can stack the units in a closet and they're a lot quieter overall. I haven't bought the second unit to mirror it yet but i'm using raid 6 and can suffer the loss of 2 disks, which is important, because rebuilding very large disks takes a long time. You're gambling if you only go RAID 5 imo, especially since large consumer hard drives aren't super reliable.
post #2095 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post

If you have a basement where you can put a server like that then go for it, but be aware that rackmount servers are typically very very loud and that you really wouldn't want one in an apartment or condo. I have their 5 bay unit that's expandable to 15 and it probably makes more sense for most people. You can still go up to 45TB with the expansions but you can stack the units in a closet and they're a lot quieter overall. I haven't bought the second unit to mirror it yet but i'm using raid 6 and can suffer the loss of 2 disks, which is important, because rebuilding very large disks takes a long time. You're gambling if you only go RAID 5 imo, especially since large consumer hard drives aren't super reliable.

I dont have that exact unit, but ya, those things are loud as hell and generate quite a bit of heat. No way they can be near a usable room in your house and no way it could be in an apartment.

For the needs of storing data and streaming, RAID 1 is fine, just mirrors the disks.
post #2096 of 2378
Sansui 6060 with KLH Model Sixes and a Pioneer PL-A35 turntable. I love the sound of the early acoustic suspension speakers.
post #2097 of 2378
Anyone know/own the Nelson Pass Aleph P Preamplifier?

Nice one for sale, wondering if its worth 1600$.

scaled_DSC_0314.jpg
post #2098 of 2378

Used equipment is so much cheaper, worse than cars.  Drops by at least half as soon as it's out the door!  Looks like a great value, based on new.  Have little experience other than the reviews.

post #2099 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

Used equipment is so much cheaper, worse than cars.  Drops by at least half as soon as it's out the door!  Looks like a great value, based on new.  Have little experience other than the reviews.

What is your experience w/ reviews on it?
post #2100 of 2378

Same as you.  What I read on the inet.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?