or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want? - Page 132

post #1966 of 2378
Let me start off by saying i'm a complete beginner to this, and don't really have a clue.

I want to purchase this turntable. What I want to know is, regarding speakers, how are they hooked up?http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GYTPAE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Is there just like a headphone jack in which you can plug in any speakers, like these simply http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000-8-Inch-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B000OG88KY/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_3?

Or do I need to buy a receiver...?
post #1967 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Let me start off by saying i'm a complete beginner to this, and don't really have a clue.
I want to purchase this turntable. What I want to know is, regarding speakers, how are they hooked up?http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GYTPAE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Is there just like a headphone jack in which you can plug in any speakers, like these simply http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000-8-Inch-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B000OG88KY/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_3?
Or do I need to buy a receiver...?

You need to buy an amplifier to connect both. Looking at your spend you need an integrated amp.

The amplifier needs a phono stage otherwise the turntable wont play properly.

You dont need a receiver. A receiver has a tuner built in, you dont necessarily need that.

You dont plug headphones into speakers.
post #1968 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

You need to buy an amplifier to connect both. Looking at your spend you need an integrated amp.
The amplifier needs a phono stage otherwise the turntable wont play properly.
You dont need a receiver. A receiver has a tuner built in, you dont necessarily need that.
You dont plug headphones into speakers.

Ah alright then, can you (or anyone else for that matter) recommend a decent integrated amp for cheap... really not trying to spend more than 50-75 if thats possible.

And I know all in here are "audiophiles" and this is philistine gear, but this is for my 14 year old brothers birthday who wants to get into vinyl, so its a give or take kind of thing. If he enjoys it, he can pursue it further on down the line himself.
post #1969 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Ah alright then, can you (or anyone else for that matter) recommend a decent integrated amp for cheap... really not trying to spend more than 50-75 if thats possible.
And I know all in here are "audiophiles" and this is philistine gear, but this is for my 14 year old brothers birthday who wants to get into vinyl, so its a give or take kind of thing. If he enjoys it, he can pursue it further on down the line himself.

Ya, thats cheap.

Look on ebay, try and find an old NAD or ROTEL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAD-3220-PE-integrated-amp-40-watt-monster-/300663200392?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4600ec5a88

There you go, $80... jump on it. It will sound better than anything else you will find in that price range. I used to have one of these.
post #1970 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Ya, thats cheap.
Look on ebay, try and find an old NAD or ROTEL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAD-3220-PE-integrated-amp-40-watt-monster-/300663200392?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4600ec5a88
There you go, $80... jump on it. It will sound better than anything else you will find in that price range. I used to have one of these.

Appreciate the PM!

If it was for myself, I certainly wouldn't mind. But it seems a little bit off to gift a used item, especially one in which the power button is "snapped off" :/
post #1971 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Appreciate the PM!
If it was for myself, I certainly wouldn't mind. But it seems a little bit off to gift a used item, especially one in which the power button is "snapped off" :/

Didnt notice the damage. Sorry, wouldnt have sent it if I saw that.

Used wouldnt matter to me. New for that money, you arent going to get much, if anything. And its going to be really crappy quality.
post #1972 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post


The amplifier needs a phono stage otherwise the turntable wont play properly.

Actually that turntable appears to have a built-in preamp ("Switchable built-in pre-amplifier with line-level RCA output cables") so that it can be plugged into the "aux input" of virtually any receiver or integrated amplifier.
post #1973 of 2378
Put together a new setup for all-computer music. Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature System speakers, Bryston B-100SST integrated amp, Bryston BDA-1 dac, Musical Fidelity usb/sfpdif converter, Mac Mini loaded with ALAC and a few hired downloads from HDTracks. Control with with iPad loaded with remote. In a dedicated room (otherwise known as the basement)

Sounds incredible. At times I miss the incredible slam of my old Klipsch Forte II speakers but the sound quality from this system is the best I've ever owned.

Everything except the Mac Mini from audiogon in seamless transactions at huge savings.

Also stuck some definitive technology ceiling speakers in the bathroom hooked to a sons - surprisingly good sound for cheap.
post #1974 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post

Actually that turntable appears to have a built-in preamp ("Switchable built-in pre-amplifier with line-level RCA output cables") so that it can be plugged into the "aux input" of virtually any receiver or integrated amplifier.

Ah, yes, the key sign of quality we are all looking for akin to having "metal, jazz, symphony, concert" settings on a receiver.
post #1975 of 2378
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaddog View Post

Put together a new setup for all-computer music. Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature System speakers, Bryston B-100SST integrated amp, Bryston BDA-1 dac, Musical Fidelity usb/sfpdif converter, Mac Mini loaded with ALAC and a few hired downloads from HDTracks. Control with with iPad loaded with remote. In a dedicated room (otherwise known as the basement)

Sounds incredible. At times I miss the incredible slam of my old Klipsch Forte II speakers but the sound quality from this system is the best I've ever owned.

Everything except the Mac Mini from audiogon in seamless transactions at huge savings.

Also stuck some definitive technology ceiling speakers in the bathroom hooked to a sons - surprisingly good sound for cheap.

Nice setup. I'm using the Mac Mini as a server into the Benchmark DAC1 Pre via Audioquest Diamong usb. I was surprised to experience that usb cables sound different. Tried several but the Diamond is the best so far. Will get an iPad with the 3 comes out.

Also, I am experimenting now with the Izotope upsampling algorithm. It really does improve sound quality of CD material.
post #1976 of 2378
Got my setup all done now, quite happy with it. Pretty far from audiophile quality but I love it.

Pioneer 1021-K. Best receiver I've ever owned. Setting up was surprisingly easy with the included microphone.

Got a WD TV SMP hooked to it via HDMI, DVD and VHS hooked up via composite.

I really like being able to use my iPhone as a remote control for the 1021 and WD TV. And I just realized last night after downloading the AirPlay remote for my phone, that I can now use my iPhone to stream my iTunes library from my laptop upstairs down to the stereo via WiFi.

AirPlay also works for Shoutcast and Pandora too, love it. Audio only on youtube vids via AirPlay, but that's no big deal, I have a youtube app on my WD TV.

I probably did a bit of overkill on getting that receiver, since I only have right and left channels (Polk tower speakers), but AirPlay, iPhone remote app, and upconverting were MUSTS for me.

1021 is about 550 retail, but grabbed it for 300 off newegg during a sale.
post #1977 of 2378
Oh man, I don't want to hear that usb cables make a difference - that is the slippery slope to hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars:)
post #1978 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaddog View Post

Oh man, I don't want to hear that usb cables make a difference - that is the slippery slope to hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars:)

They don't, unless you have a crappy USB DAC.
post #1979 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

Got my setup all done now, quite happy with it. Pretty far from audiophile quality but I love it.
Pioneer 1021-K. Best receiver I've ever owned. Setting up was surprisingly easy with the included microphone.
Got a WD TV SMP hooked to it via HDMI, DVD and VHS hooked up via composite.
I really like being able to use my iPhone as a remote control for the 1021 and WD TV. And I just realized last night after downloading the AirPlay remote for my phone, that I can now use my iPhone to stream my iTunes library from my laptop upstairs down to the stereo via WiFi.
AirPlay also works for Shoutcast and Pandora too, love it. Audio only on youtube vids via AirPlay, but that's no big deal, I have a youtube app on my WD TV.
I probably did a bit of overkill on getting that receiver, since I only have right and left channels (Polk tower speakers), but AirPlay, iPhone remote app, and upconverting were MUSTS for me.
1021 is about 550 retail, but grabbed it for 300 off newegg during a sale.

Fuck. I am going to do this.

Wait, is this just an app, or will I need some sort of device as well other than the airport express? I already have my laptop wirelessly going to my stereo, but how can I control my laptop with my phone? Can't seem to figure it out..
post #1980 of 2378
Nothing else needed, this receiver has AirPlay built in, I don't even know what an AirPlay Express is. Just plug the receiver into your router (a wifi adapter costs extra, luckily my router is on my stereo shelf so hardwiring isn't a problem for me, then once your iPhone connects to your wifi network, you are set).

I have one app for my phone that controls the receiver "iControlAV2", and the app called "Remote" that allows me to stream my iTunes library from my laptop upstairs (via wifi) down to my wired receiver.

The trick is to go into advanced options in iTunes and turn on homenetworking or some such, enter your Apple ID, and that's it. Once you run that "Remote" app on your phone, it will list your entire iTunes library from your computer as if it's on your phone, and push it to the receiver.

Pretty sweet if ya ask me.

edit: You know it's set up right when you see on your phone a little icon appear to the right of the volume controls in iTunes, Remote App, Shoutcast, whatever, hit that button and it will let you select what you want to stream to, in this case for me, it shows up as "Pioneer 1021K"

This is the icon you should see when it's set up properly, on the phone and iTunes on your computer:

And if you don't have an AirPlay ready receiver, it will still give you the option to choose your laptop as the music player, while using the phone as a remote.

But damn, this Pioneer receiver is some kick ass shit. Denon has AirPlay built in too I hear, but Denons have always been too complicated for me to use. Not to mention the Denon iPhone remote app looks pretty crappy.

airview_logo_large.jpg

Another great thing about this Pioneer, is it came with a little microphone on like a 30 foot cord for you to plug into the front during setup, then place the mic on the couch or wherever you'll be sitting. It will play tones, etc, and set itself up for you based on what that mic is catching on your sofa, chair, whatever.

Only issue is running the speaker wire to the receiver is a royal PITA if you don't have banana plugs. Be prepared to do a lot of cutting and stripping to get those cables into the back, or just buy the damn banana plugs. I got the plugs, but realized when I got home I bought the kind that require soldering heh, so I just said screw it and wired it the old fashioned way, not fun.

Sound quality is phenomenal to me, but I'm not qualified to comment on that really, I just replaced a 100W TEAC receiver that only did composite connections (didn't even have an S-video plug on that old thing heh)
Edited by javyn - 2/22/12 at 11:08am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?