or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want? - Page 77

post #1141 of 2378
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscolari View Post
Oppo doesn't need anyone to hype their products. You would be hard-pressed to find negative reviews for any of the products they currently have on market or have ever offered. Dollar for dollar they are the best out there by far.
True dat. I have a $3.5K CD player Sony SCD-777ES and the Oppo 83 at $499 competes with it on a SACD basis and possibly exceeds the CD quality (of course my player is 10 years old and digital moves fast).
post #1142 of 2378
Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin + iPod Classic. All I'll ever need.
LL
post #1143 of 2378
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkins Micawber View Post
Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin + iPod Classic. All I'll ever need.

A great small system in my opinion. I just could not get used to listening to compressed music. I hope you are doing at least Apple Lossless.
post #1144 of 2378
post #1145 of 2378
Those vintage Marantz's sound terrific. Only problem is that they weigh a crap ton, and that's even without the wood cabinet. I had the 2270 for a while before it crapped out on me (another problem with vintage equipment). I lost the patience to really work with them, so I have a new Marantz receiver now that handles all my CD/DVD/HDMI stuff. Very happy with it.
post #1146 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
Do you get a stipend for every time you mention Oppo? The guy posts a Marantz 2235 and you suggest a BluRay player. WTF?
So what? If it is good advice then it is good advice. How often does someone mention Aldens, Rubinacci, or APC on SF.
post #1147 of 2378
I run a mint Marantz 2285 through a Rotel CD player into Kef 103.2s. I'll occasionally pop a record onto my Thorens TD165. I really love my setup.
post #1148 of 2378
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post

post #1149 of 2378
So I went over to Saturday Audio and they had a range of both new and used stuff. At this point I'm just looking for a tuner, two speakers and maybe a CD player, although I can just use my DVD player for that right now, unless that's a major no-no (it's a cheap Toshiba SD-6100 upscaling to 1080p).

They suggested:

1) A Harman/Kardon tuner - the HK 3370 - used for $149 -- just doing some basic research online it looks like it's a decent price, but maybe not such a good system. Any thoughts?

For speakers, either:

2) PSB B15s (bookshelf size speakers) for about $300 new (being discontinued)

or

3) taller PSB T45 (also new) for around $400

My preference would be for the smaller speakers, just because they would be less obtrusive, and the room is not amazing for audio to begin with (but it's what we have to work with for now).

Any thoughts on their initial suggestions? I'll probably go back on Thursday and browse some of the other offerings they have in-store.

Thanks!
post #1150 of 2378
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambparker View Post
So I went over to Saturday Audio and they had a range of both new and used stuff. At this point I'm just looking for a tuner, two speakers and maybe a CD player, although I can just use my DVD player for that right now, unless that's a major no-no (it's a cheap Toshiba SD-6100 upscaling to 1080p).

They suggested:

1) A Harman/Kardon tuner - the HK 3370 - used for $149 -- just doing some basic research online it looks like it's a decent price, but maybe not such a good system. Any thoughts?

For speakers, either:

2) PSB B15s (bookshelf size speakers) for about $300 new (being discontinued)

or

3) taller PSB T45 (also new) for around $400

My preference would be for the smaller speakers, just because they would be less obtrusive, and the room is not amazing for audio to begin with (but it's what we have to work with for now).

Any thoughts on their initial suggestions? I'll probably go back on Thursday and browse some of the other offerings they have in-store.

Thanks!

PSB T45 - Yes.

Harmon Kardon receiver - No.

PSB B15 - No.
post #1151 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
PSB T45 - Yes.

Harmon Kardon receiver - No.

PSB B15 - No.

Thanks.

Are you opposed to bookshelf size speakers in general, or just don't think the B15 is a good value?
post #1152 of 2378
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambparker View Post
Thanks.

Are you opposed to bookshelf size speakers in general, or just don't think the B15 is a good value?

You are very welcome. Bookshelfs are fine and PSB is a terrific brand. I just like the T Series better.
post #1153 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambparker View Post
So I went over to Saturday Audio and they had a range of both new and used stuff. At this point I'm just looking for a tuner, two speakers and maybe a CD player, although I can just use my DVD player for that right now, unless that's a major no-no (it's a cheap Toshiba SD-6100 upscaling to 1080p).
Do you already have a receiver and just looking for a separate AM/FM tuner?
post #1154 of 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax View Post
Do you already have a receiver and just looking for a separate AM/FM tuner?

No, I'm starting from scratch, want something with an AM/FM tuner and am working within a pretty tight budget. Seems like a tuner is the best bet, even if the quality won't be quite as good for the price v. separate receiver/tuner.
post #1155 of 2378
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambparker View Post
No, I'm starting from scratch, want something with an AM/FM tuner and am working within a pretty tight budget. Seems like a tuner is the best bet, even if the quality won't be quite as good for the price v. separate receiver/tuner.
Look at NAD and Rotel for a reasonable cost and excellent sounding receivers/amps. Cambridge Audio as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?