or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Comfy modern-ish living room recliners? Eames/Ekornes/etc?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comfy modern-ish living room recliners? Eames/Ekornes/etc? - Page 5

post #61 of 78


After a good six months of consideration, finally broke down and picked one up.

The chair makes me

The price made me
post #62 of 78
i want one upholstered in a grey wool. congrats on the purchase!

i've also been thinking about this but i've cracked my philippe starck ghost chairs so this may not be a good idea.
LL
post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrune View Post
i want one upholstered in a grey wool. congrats on the purchase!

i've also been thinking about this but i've cracked my philippe starck ghost chairs so this may not be a good idea.

I was thinking herringbone or some sort of tweed. I just plan on getting one where the cushions are completely shot and doing it.
post #64 of 78
^herringbone sounds great. what kind of tweed? can you do a donegal in upholstery too? my father will probably give me his when he transfers into his newly built french traditional home so i've got a few mcm pieces and also modern from the 70's coming my way.

in the meantime i want this lofty chaise lounge from mdf italia. i wonder if it's derivative of something. would anyone know? how is the quality of mdf italia?
LL
post #65 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatlese View Post


After a good six months of consideration, finally broke down and picked one up.

The chair makes me

The price made me

Nice. There's a guy selling one here for $1300. Original, not a repro, but needs reupholstering. Trying to convince my wife (and myself) that's in our budget
post #66 of 78
eames, knoll etc prices in the US makes me
post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782 View Post
Nice. There's a guy selling one here for $1300. Original, not a repro, but needs reupholstering. Trying to convince my wife (and myself) that's in our budget

If it is an original, at 1300 it's a STEAL! in my experience though, if you're trying to keep it original, the refurb will cost at least that much again. totally worth it though.

I just recently bought an original florence knoll sofa that needs refurb but it's in decent enough shape that I decided to live with it until the funds make themselves available for a proper restoration. if this chair is in that sort of livable shape i would jump on it! restore later.
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert View Post
eames, knoll etc prices in the US makes me

lol, US prices for eames stuff is around half of what you pay in europe, a new lounge chair + ottoman would run me around $8000 over here..
post #69 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-han View Post
lol, US prices for eames stuff is around half of what you pay in europe, a new lounge chair + ottoman would run me around $8000 over here..

no joke huh? and with the way people run on and on around here about the perceived quality and value of a $600 windbreaker or a $200 sweatshirt, you'd think that furniture would fall in line accordingly.
post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782 View Post
Nice. There's a guy selling one here for $1300. Original, not a repro, but needs reupholstering. Trying to convince my wife (and myself) that's in our budget
Alfie Hume (humemodern.com) did an incredible job with restoring my trashed Craigslisted Eames lounge. Cost around $1,000 to have all the panels completely refinished, drill holes (!) filled in, new shockmounts fitted, shipping, etc. Also used a company called Creative Colors International who specialize in leather repair who restored the scratches and fading on the leather really well. Cost about $200 for them to come and spend the morning meticulously sanding, airbrushing and polishing. They claim to be able to restore cuts, holes, slashes, etc - if your upholstery is sound but just has holes (ie. not rotting away) you may be able to get it restored pretty cheap. Edit: Chair is worth every penny. It's comfortable as hell (I'm 6'6" so was wondering if it would be too small. It's not.), looks awesome and will hold it's value.
post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by v0rtex View Post
Alfie Hume (humemodern.com) did an incredible job with restoring my trashed Craigslisted Eames lounge. Cost around $1,000 to have all the panels completely refinished, drill holes (!) filled in, new shockmounts fitted, shipping, etc.

Je-Zus! this thing is awesome!



Apparently they replaced the sown fill pads and retained the original leather. that's something I'd kill for since the patina on the original leather is why i love the classic chairs SO much. it's like the perfect baseball glove.

for $1000 that is a job VERY well done. IMO
post #72 of 78
Uh, I didn't buy it
post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782 View Post
Uh, I didn't buy it

Do it man!

I'm very happy with the purchase three weeks on.

My mother saw a picture of the Eames, and said "ah, just like a la-z-boy!"
post #74 of 78
Where's the best place to buy a repo Eames?

I noticed Amazon.com has one but they want $4,500 for it.....
post #75 of 78
There are many posibilities of chairs. Take a look at these chaise lounge long chairs .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Comfy modern-ish living room recliners? Eames/Ekornes/etc?