Related Forum Threads
- Price Drop-BNIB Eward Green Malvern Mole Suede 8/8.5e 202 Last post on 1/1/13 at 9:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- What to wear with these brown dress shoes to the club? Last post on 9/22/12 at 5:58am in Classic Menswear
- Fitting advice for my first pair of prestige John Lobb RTW Last post on 9/11/12 at 8:26pm in Classic Menswear
- Which pair of brown shoes -- double monks or derbies? Last post on 9/25/12 at 3:15pm in Classic Menswear
- Church's Consul - shape of toe box vs American makes of cap toe balmorals Last post on 8/11/12 at 12:17pm in Classic Menswear
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Shoe Care: Polish/Cream in Brogue Holes?
Plus, they're good for skewing.
I have the opposite question, is there anything wrong with not applying polish to the holes? The reason is ask is that the larger holes are exposing a proportion of leather that will never get the same amount of cream and polish that the rest of the leather gets. Obviously, we all wish to keep the holes empty, but it's something I've wondered.
If you use a good quality product, this should not really becoem a problem, except if you are using too much product.
In the event that the punching does become clogged, you should simply brush the excess off before the product dries, or, you could use a toothpick CAREFULLY and remove the excess.
Whether the leather in the punching should be avoided? No, your entire shoe needs care, especially areas which are stitched and those which are subject to strain, like holes along the punching detail. You don't want those to become weak and begin to crack.
When I'm applying a conditioner I actually use the brush to apply extra conditioner to the seams and holes as I want to be extra sure all of these places are nurished and protected (especially the stitching).
I am in the process of restoring an old pair of captoe brogues and am using an appropriately sized drill bit to very carefully give each hole a crisp edge. I do not recommend this to anyone else but it does work by very gently twisting the bit between your fingers maybe 2 or 3 rotations does the job. Do this one at your own peril.
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 23 seconds ago
- › Dress shoe opinions 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › 2015-2016 Official Football / Soccer Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 6 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 8 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Brooks Brothers Martin Greenfield Golden Fleece Charcoal... 17 minutes ago
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding