Related Forum Threads
- Price Drop-BNIB Eward Green Malvern Mole Suede 8/8.5e 202 Last post on 1/1/13 at 9:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- What to wear with these brown dress shoes to the club? Last post on 9/22/12 at 5:58am in Classic Menswear
- Fitting advice for my first pair of prestige John Lobb RTW Last post on 9/11/12 at 8:26pm in Classic Menswear
- Which pair of brown shoes -- double monks or derbies? Last post on 9/25/12 at 3:15pm in Classic Menswear
- Church's Consul - shape of toe box vs American makes of cap toe balmorals Last post on 8/11/12 at 12:17pm in Classic Menswear
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Shoe Care: Polish/Cream in Brogue Holes?
Plus, they're good for skewing.
I have the opposite question, is there anything wrong with not applying polish to the holes? The reason is ask is that the larger holes are exposing a proportion of leather that will never get the same amount of cream and polish that the rest of the leather gets. Obviously, we all wish to keep the holes empty, but it's something I've wondered.
If you use a good quality product, this should not really becoem a problem, except if you are using too much product.
In the event that the punching does become clogged, you should simply brush the excess off before the product dries, or, you could use a toothpick CAREFULLY and remove the excess.
Whether the leather in the punching should be avoided? No, your entire shoe needs care, especially areas which are stitched and those which are subject to strain, like holes along the punching detail. You don't want those to become weak and begin to crack.
When I'm applying a conditioner I actually use the brush to apply extra conditioner to the seams and holes as I want to be extra sure all of these places are nurished and protected (especially the stitching).
I am in the process of restoring an old pair of captoe brogues and am using an appropriately sized drill bit to very carefully give each hole a crisp edge. I do not recommend this to anyone else but it does work by very gently twisting the bit between your fingers maybe 2 or 3 rotations does the job. Do this one at your own peril.
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 34 seconds ago
- › Pediwear Shoes - Official Thread 1 minute ago
- › Wolverine 1000 mile 744 LTD Boots 1 minute ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Karl Matthews 3 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 4 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments Black GHurka Shorts 30 7 minutes ago
- › Truman Boots 8 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...