or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 625

post #9361 of 10778
My preference for a cotton suit would be a lighter shade in a plain cotton garbadine, I am not a fan of patterened cotton. Also, looking at that pic, the saturation is way up on it (look at his hands and face), probably to get the solaro effect, the actual shade/effect is probably different.
post #9362 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Finding good summer fabrics is hard in general. There's no shortage of tweed and tweed-like SC fabrics that I swoon over, but there's not a ton of summer stuff that I have seen that I loved.

+1. This is especially frustrating when you live in an environment that is some combination of hot, humid and hell-hole smoggy 9 months out of the year. I would never be able to justify a heavy tweed rotation, leading me to assume I "run hotter" than forex or whnay.
post #9363 of 10778
I am so over being comfortable temperature wise living in New York.
post #9364 of 10778
@jrd617 I'd be in for whatever is equivalent to 4.25yds please.
post #9365 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

My preference for a cotton suit would be a lighter shade in a plain cotton garbadine, I am not a fan of patterened cotton. Also, looking at that pic, the saturation is way up on it (look at his hands and face), probably to get the solaro effect, the actual shade/effect is probably different.

Well, it is a Sartorialist picture so yeah - the saturation's way up.
post #9366 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

^ Definitely for a cloth without the herringbone.

Scale is up in the air. I personally think smaller would look better. It looks like a solid from a distance, but the texture becomes apparent at close range.

LL did a large scale barley and I don't think it looked great from a distance. Too "marled" / mottled looking
Ok. I don't much care for the bond version. It looks better on Connery than it will on me.
post #9367 of 10778
About halfway to the 60 meter goal... keep it coming. This is going to be an awesome cloth


So far:
1. jrd617 in for 2.5 meters
2. @jerrybrowne in for 2.5 meters
3. @bertie in for 2.5 meters
4. @virchow in for 2.5 meters
5. @tchoy in for 2.5 meters
6. @fassbinder in for 2.5 meters
7. C&A in for 2.5 meters
8. @chobochobo in for 3.89 meters
9. @Despos - possibly in for several meters (10 meters?)
Edited by jrd617 - 4/1/14 at 9:02pm
post #9368 of 10778
I have an RL coat almost exactly like the Goldfinger one, except maybe a bit darker. It's fantastic.
post #9369 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

I have an RL coat almost exactly like the Goldfinger one, except maybe a bit darker. It's fantastic.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Any chance you could snap a pic in natural light?
post #9370 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

^ Definitely for a cloth without the herringbone.

Scale is up in the air. I personally think smaller would look better. It looks like a solid from a distance, but the texture becomes apparent at close range.

LL did a large scale barley and I don't think it looked great from a distance. Too "marled" / mottled looking

Funny as I really like the marled / mottled look. It gives it more character. I also think it's rarer to see larger scale barleycorn than small scale. If any RTW item is going to be barleycorn it would almost certainly be smaller scaled. The larger scale has a more authentic old school tweed feel to my eye. Neither is right or wrong. Just preference.
post #9371 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Any chance you could snap a pic in natural light?

I am hesitant, because that would only encourage people to tell me how it doesn't look like the Goldfinger tweed at all. They would be wrong, but it's the little things that get me by.

Nonetheless, it is great for a sportcoat and so I encourage you all in this endeavor.
post #9372 of 10778
^ I like a large scale herringbone or houndstooth, but barley seems like more of a small scale pattern.

I scoured the books from lots of UK makers and wasn't able to find much barleycorn. Closest was a W Bill "Lamlana" that was in a very soft lambswool. (Too soft)

We can still vote on scale

• Abraham Moon
• Ardalandish
• Bateman and Ogden
• Butt of Lewis
• Dugdale
• Fox Brothers
• Harrisons
• In Tweed
• Lovat
• Marling & Evans
• Hardy Minnis
• Porter & Harding
• Reid & Taylor
• Scabal 
• W. Bill
• Glenlyon
• Hunter's of Brora

Found this old stock Reid, but there was only 1.95 meters worth. It's in a smaller scale

$_12.JPG
post #9373 of 10778
I'm putting DocHolliday under my protection.

Don't you guys nitpick why it doesn't look like the Goldfinger tweed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

I am hesitant, because that would only encourage people to tell me how it doesn't look like the Goldfinger tweed at all. They would be wrong, but it's the little things that get me by.
post #9374 of 10778
Hey @jrd617

How does your barleycorn compare in colour to the LL/Molloy one?
post #9375 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Hey @jrd617

How does your barleycorn compare in colour to the LL/Molloy one?

The Reid I posted seems to be a mix of tan/gold and brown fibers, which I like.

The LL/Molloy I posted seems to be a mix of white and brown fibers. (Dislike the white)
Quote:
IMG_2063_zps0ffd7a7f.jpg
6c6b1f88_barleycorn.jpeg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread