or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 621

post #9301 of 11486

Anyone had any experience with VBC's 'Spring Classics' line or Fratelli Tallia's 'Summer Double Twist' as spring/summer cloths? I'm getting some summer stuff made up and those are my options on the low end. My tailor's quoting an extra 50% for Harrison's Frontier, not sure if it's worth the extra. (Minnis doesn't have the styles I want, the 'Cool New Wool' stuff from huddersfieldcloth.com is another possibility but it'd be nice if someone could pin down what the heck it actually is :>)

post #9302 of 11486
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWill View Post

Anyone had any experience with VBC's 'Spring Classics' line or Fratelli Tallia's 'Summer Double Twist' as spring/summer cloths? I'm getting some summer stuff made up and those are my options on the low end. My tailor's quoting an extra 50% for Harrison's Frontier, not sure if it's worth the extra. (Minnis doesn't have the styles I want, the 'Cool New Wool' stuff from huddersfieldcloth.com is another possibility but it'd be nice if someone could pin down what the heck it actually is :>)

I had a fitting yesterday on my 'cool new wool', basically it is a smooth version of fresco but has the body of 12oz, it drapes pretty well and good for summer.

I honestly don't think there is nicer summer business suiting cloth than this in yhe price range.
post #9303 of 11486
Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post

I had a fitting yesterday on my 'cool new wool', basically it is a smooth version of fresco but has the body of 12oz, it drapes pretty well and good for summer.

I honestly don't think there is nicer summer business suiting cloth than this in yhe price range.

Can you show us some photos?
post #9304 of 11486
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWill View Post

Anyone had any experience with VBC's 'Spring Classics' line or Fratelli Tallia's 'Summer Double Twist' as spring/summer cloths? I'm getting some summer stuff made up and those are my options on the low end. My tailor's quoting an extra 50% for Harrison's Frontier, not sure if it's worth the extra. (Minnis doesn't have the styles I want, the 'Cool New Wool' stuff from huddersfieldcloth.com is another possibility but it'd be nice if someone could pin down what the heck it actually is :>)

It's rebranded Bateman Ogden Panache.
post #9305 of 11486
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post


It's rebranded Bateman Ogden Panache.


Thanks - that was my best guess, you know it for sure?

post #9306 of 11486
Light reading for tonight

post #9307 of 11486
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal_1 View Post

made the decision to go with the pea coat, it will get the most use...and will post pics when it's completed. This picture helped convince me


BEAUTIFUL overcoat...compliment
post #9308 of 11486
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

Jodek international is the USA agent for Drapers.


Poorsod,

 

Thank you.

post #9309 of 11486
Anyone have a good source for wool/flax mixes? Found an awesome PRL ecru and grey puppytooth SC today (a tad small for me, unfortunately). Tag read 50/50 wool/flax. It had a great texture and wore light and crunchy but didn't seem to hold many wrinkles. I'm thinking something similar would make for a great unstructured summer jacket.

Also wondering if anyone has any experience with flax. I assume it wears similar to linen, but wasn't sure if there was more to it...
post #9310 of 11486
Flax is the same as linen, as far as I know. Flax is the plant, linen is the cloth.
post #9311 of 11486
That was my original thought. Although the hand of wool/flax jacket was a little coarser than wool/linen mixes I've encountered in the past. That obviously doesn't mean anything, but had me thinking there may be a difference in the production or something.
post #9312 of 11486
Only the finer grades of flax fibre are suitable for making linen cloth, so it's possible the 'flax' description in that Polo jacket means it is made with coarser grade fibres than usual.
post #9313 of 11486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post

Only the finer grades of flax fibre are suitable for making linen cloth, so it's possible the 'flax' description in that Polo jacket means it is made with coarser grade fibres than usual.

This makes a lot more sense to me. And in thinking about it overnight, I know that I have seen tags that read both flax and linen. It seems odd to me that the two would be interchangeable on a composition tag. Plus, to your point, Derek, flax is the precursor to linen.

So I guess my question still stands. Worse comes to worst I'll likely go back to the quest for a suitable wool/linen(/silk/cashmere) blend, but I was really intrigued by the idea of a crunchier, lightweight, casual fabric to pair with jeans or chinos.
post #9314 of 11486
Thought this was worth posting. Polo is selling fresco (Minnis 0501?) suits this season, with the fabric as a main selling point.

Has someone at RL been lurking on the forum? Fresco is by no means a new fabric, but it seems like they're jumping on the fabric's recent popularity among iGents?

Fresco still seems rare among RTW. I've seen it in Sartorio recently, but that's it


http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=31133356&cp=1760781.1766339&ab=ln_men_cs1_suits&parentPage=family
Quote:
Custom-Fit Grey Fresco Suit
Price: $1695.00

Crafted in Italy, this trim-fitting two-button suit is made from lightweight fresco wool, which is designed with an open weave to keep you cool in warmer months.
s7-1069716_alternate5?wid=2000&hei=2000
post #9315 of 11486
Latest suit technology, "open weave"!!!

It is funny how it is a selling point of the fabric for warm weather, when sweaters have open weaves too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread