or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 433

post #6481 of 12494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post

tchoy,

I've had a few suits made from the lightweight Fox flannels, and I frankly wouldn't recommend the cloth for odd trousers. Too flimsy, w/o much body, and prone to pilling. Fox makes a fantastic 16oz. mid-gtrey flannel (for the same price as the lighter stuff), which is much better suited for odd trousers.

ET

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder this is the same stuff. I have two suits from the heavier weight Fox flannel and it's great. I also have some heavier flannel from Minnis as odd trousers.

The trouble is our winter here in Sydney doesn't get that cold, I hardly have a chance to wear the heavier flannels.
I do like the mottle effect of the light weight flannel. I was told by Fox to achieved the look they used a woollen warp and worsted weft. To my untrained eye the cloth is not too flimsy at all. I am going make a pair of trousers from it and make report back on the wear at a later date.
post #6482 of 12494
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchoy View Post

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder this is the same stuff. I have two suits from the heavier weight Fox flannel and it's great. I also have some heavier flannel from Minnis as odd trousers.

The trouble is our winter here in Sydney doesn't get that cold, I hardly have a chance to wear the heavier flannels.
I do like the mottle effect of the light weight flannel. I was told by Fox to achieved the look they used a woollen warp and worsted weft. To my untrained eye the cloth is not too flimsy at all. I am going make a pair of trousers from it and make report back on the wear at a later date.
Great stuff tchoy. Really looking forward to ur report. Can i ask u what pattern the darker one is?
post #6483 of 12494
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasu10s View Post

Great stuff tchoy. Really looking forward to ur report. Can i ask u what pattern the darker one is?

Thanks! The darker one is a birds-eye.
post #6484 of 12494
Thread Starter 
OK, I am thinking of a new summer suit. I have much experience with Minnis Fresco, was thinking of the lightest weight. But I have heard good things about some new H&S called "Cool Breeze" which is supposed to be about one ounce lighter.

Any experience/comparisons?
post #6485 of 12494
I've taken a real liking to Mohair. A bit shiny in darker colors, but looks beautiful as a RAF or steel blue. I've found it to wear just as cool as my Fresco.
post #6486 of 12494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

OK, I am thinking of a new summer suit. I have much experience with Minnis Fresco, was thinking of the lightest weight. But I have heard good things about some new H&S called "Cool Breeze" which is supposed to be about one ounce lighter.

Any experience/comparisons?

I have the Cool Breeze book and can lend it to you if you like. I prefer the H&S Crispaire to it but Cool Breeze has a lot of patterns where as Crispaire is mostly solids. The H&S English Mohairs book is some of the best looking fabric I've seen.
post #6487 of 12494
Thread Starter 
I have some mohair, but it wears too hot. Nice looking
post #6488 of 12494
What do you guys think about Loro Piana Wave? It is really light. Anyone made it up or handled it?
post #6489 of 12494
Thread Starter 
I only need a solid blue, FWIW, not too dark but dark enough to be "business"

I have a kind of dull, sheeny capri blue mohair that I don't wear so often any more. It's a big gigolo-ish. It does draw a lot of comments ...
post #6490 of 12494
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

What do you guys think about Loro Piana Wave? It is really light. Anyone made it up or handled it?

I have two suits made from basic Loro piana plain weaves summer weight.
they are really nice. of course I paid less then $10 per yard. (benefit of being in the trade)
Most LP fabrics are overpriced.
post #6491 of 12494
Chapman chambray

post #6492 of 12494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post

I've taken a real liking to Mohair. A bit shiny in darker colors, but looks beautiful as a RAF or steel blue. I've found it to wear just as cool as my Fresco.

Which mill/brand of mohair? Was it a wool/mohair blend?
post #6493 of 12494
Quote:
Originally Posted by badsha View Post


Which mill/brand of mohair? Was it a wool/mohair blend?

 

Harrison's Cape Kid. Yup - def a blend - 100% mohair would be awful.
post #6494 of 12494
The Fresco II book has a handful of wool/mohair blends at the back of the book. I'm eyeing the black/gray birdseye-ish one (0578) for a summer suit for next year.

post #6495 of 12494
Perfect timing for this discussion. I have an appointment with Poole to makeup a Navy summer suit next week. Already have two suits from the Fresco II book, so I was leaning toward a lightweight fabric from Lesser but this has me rethinking.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread