or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 423

post #6331 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactire View Post

Be aware that mills and merchants use either grams per running metre or grams per square metre.  The only way to know if it is not specified is to ask.


They do sell direct, I bought 4 lengths of corduroy last month. 

So I guess you emailed them directly?

What is the shipping cost like? I suppose you live outside of UK?
post #6332 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinbmx View Post


So I guess you emailed them directly?

What is the shipping cost like? I suppose you live outside of UK?

 

Correct on both counts.

I rang them after emailing to pay via credit card.  I then organised my own courier pick-up via parcel2go.com as it was cheaper than their postage fee.

post #6333 of 11780
This has probably been asked here before, but does Harrison's sell to the public?

A friend needs a suit for his wedding.
post #6334 of 11780
You can get Harrisons via Isles in the US.
post #6335 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot View Post

This has probably been asked here before, but does Harrison's sell to the public?

A friend needs a suit for his wedding.

Yes they do. Send them an e-mail, they always reply within 24 h.
post #6336 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot View Post

This has probably been asked here before, but does Harrison's sell to the public?

A friend needs a suit for his wedding.

 

Isles will sell direct in the U.S., but at exorbitant prices.

post #6337 of 11780
Thanks guys!
post #6338 of 11780

Does anyone has experience with Scabal Ascona? I planning to make some chino trousers with it. What do you think about it?

post #6339 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinbmx View Post

Does anyone has experience with Scabal Ascona? I planning to make some chino trousers with it. What do you think about it?

I'm also toying with the idea of having a pair made. The RTW ones just don't do it for me.
post #6340 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post


I'm also toying with the idea of having a pair made. The RTW ones just don't do it for me.

 

Yeah. RTW just fit poorly.

post #6341 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinbmx View Post

Yeah. RTW just fit poorly.

...and the material is sub par. No matter how much you iron them they look bad and unprofessional.
post #6342 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post


...and the material is sub par. No matter how much you iron them they look bad and unprofessional.

 

Yeah. Very true.

 

I had a quick check of the prices for the Ascona and I find it a little overpriced. It cost more than wool from a reputable English mill.

 

Another option would be Mersolair. Fabric feels quite good and thickness is quite decent, not too thin.

 

However, I ordered some Brisbanemoss Keats to compare. I will update again when I received them.

post #6343 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinbmx View Post

Yeah. Very true.

I had a quick check of the prices for the Ascona and I find it a little overpriced. It cost more than wool from a reputable English mill.

Another option would be Mersolair. Fabric feels quite good and thickness is quite decent, not too thin.

However, I ordered some Brisbanemoss Keats to compare. I will update again when I received them.

Nice feeling heavy cotton is expensive. Mersolair is very thin and smooth for my tastes - the lack of texture reminds me of some no-iron Dockers I once bought. Brisbane Moss is at the other extreme - rough and unfinished, like something used in uniforms (have tried Keats and Rye, a cavalry twill). I've had good experience with Holland & Sherry but unfortunately it's priced like Scabal.
post #6344 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanm View Post


Nice feeling heavy cotton is expensive. Mersolair is very thin and smooth for my tastes - the lack of texture reminds me of some no-iron Dockers I once bought. Brisbane Moss is at the other extreme - rough and unfinished, like something used in uniforms (have tried Keats and Rye, a cavalry twill). I've had good experience with Holland & Sherry but unfortunately it's priced like Scabal.

 

So you don't recommend Keats? Do you mind sharing some pictures of it? And how does it feel when worn?

 

By the way, which bunch of H&S?

post #6345 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinbmx View Post

So you don't recommend Keats? Do you mind sharing some pictures of it? And how does it feel when worn?

By the way, which bunch of H&S?

Sorry, don't have any pics of the Keats. It just wasn't for me. A little too rough and stiff, kind of like the polar opposite of a velvety moleskin. My ideal cotton trousering cloth is in between those extremes - heavyish and with dry surface interest (not hairy, not smooth), but soft to the touch.

FYI, one thing to note about Brisbane Moss is that they quote cloth weights per square meter, as opposed to running meter of 140-150 cm width. Therefore if you want to compare to cloth from other mills, you will want to multiply the quoted weight by 1.4 - 1.5.

The H&S bunch is called Cotton Classics, and has a wide range of weaves and weights (8 oz - 16 oz IIRC).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread