or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 402

post #6016 of 12526
Acorn fabric is having a 20% off everything sale this month. Must spend 100 pounds before discount.

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=5ff5da210030d54c7cb42d175&id=75e61445cd&e=62341c8bc1
post #6017 of 12526
I am purchasing a suit length of the LL RAF blue. I was wondering how W.Bill's linen fabrics (380g i suppose) would compare to the LL linen suitings (400g). From what i saw they are quite similar and definitely drape better than harrisons mersolair.

Planning on visiting w.bill and smith in london this summer. Does anyone know if they take credit card by any chance?
post #6018 of 12526
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasu10s View Post

Planning on visiting w.bill and smith in london this summer. Does anyone know if they take credit card by any chance?

 

They do.

post #6019 of 12526
Thats great news. Also, for those who had the experience to have commissioned garments in both or either of the fabrics, how would u describe the breathability? Is it ok in a tropical weather like singapore's?
post #6020 of 12526
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasu10s View Post

Thats great news. Also, for those who had the experience to have commissioned garments in both or either of the fabrics, how would u describe the breathability? Is it ok in a tropical weather like singapore's?

As long as you are under the air conditioner, it is fine even for mid weight worsted, 360-380g.

Such applies to Orientals, sweaty Caucasian are excuded.
post #6021 of 12526
I have suits in both the LL linen and W Bill Linen and I have used Harrisons Mersolair for trousers.
The LL linen and W Bill linen have very similar characteristics being heavy weight linen, both drapes very well. They both wear warm I wear both suits from spring to autumn in Sydney. They are not very breathable. Having the jackets unlined will help some what.
The Mersolair is much lighter than the above it doesn't drape as well and it will crease more easily.

I can't comment if both of these linens are suitable for Singapore. I have friends live there commented it's impossible to wear a suit because it's so hot and humid there most of the time.
post #6022 of 12526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

Acorn fabric is having a 20% off everything sale this month. Must spend 100 pounds before discount.

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=5ff5da210030d54c7cb42d175&id=75e61445cd&e=62341c8bc1

Wow, those seem like really good prices. I figured Acorn fabric would be much more than that.
post #6023 of 12526
LL oats linen (sorry for link, on iPad so can't upload photo here):

http://ivorytowerstyle.tumblr.com/post/47702037449/my-new-favorite-jacket-made-by-napolisumisura
post #6024 of 12526
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasu10s View Post

Thats great news. Also, for those who had the experience to have commissioned garments in both or either of the fabrics, how would u describe the breathability? Is it ok in a tropical weather like singapore's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchoy View Post

I have suits in both the LL linen and W Bill Linen and I have used Harrisons Mersolair for trousers.
The LL linen and W Bill linen have very similar characteristics being heavy weight linen, both drapes very well. They both wear warm I wear both suits from spring to autumn in Sydney. They are not very breathable. Having the jackets unlined will help some what.
The Mersolair is much lighter than the above it doesn't drape as well and it will crease more easily.

I can't comment if both of these linens are suitable for Singapore. I have friends live there commented it's impossible to wear a suit because it's so hot and humid there most of the time.

Agree to your friend assessment that it is not advisable to wear suit in Singapore especially if you're taking public transport everywhere. Not trying to be exclusive however I can't imagine wearing suit in Singapore hot and humid weather, you'll be bathed in sweat by the time you arrive at the destination.

Have never tried both LL and W Bill linen nevertheless I've one heavyweight Irish linen sportscoat and one lightweight Japanese linen sportscoat. Working in Jakarta now (after Sydney in my previous life) where humidity (and traffic!) is a real killer I rarely wear my heavyweight linen and use the lightweight one sparingly only nevertheless that's due to I spend majority of my day inside of the air conditioned building and travel by car everywhere.
post #6025 of 12526
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

LL oats linen (sorry for link, on iPad so can't upload photo here):

http://ivorytowerstyle.tumblr.com/post/47702037449/my-new-favorite-jacket-made-by-napolisumisura

Lemme help you out:

post #6026 of 12526
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

Wow, those seem like really good prices. I figured Acorn fabric would be much more than that.

Also, here's a good looking Grasmere (160s) on clearance:

http://www.acornfabrics.com/fabrics/grasmere-gx-blue
post #6027 of 12526

A linen suit was mandatory in that region for the well-dressed gentleman, be he sweaty Caucasian or hypohidriotic Oriental, before air conditioning or electric fans were invented and the best one could hope for was an energetic punkah-wallah or a cool breeze. Tens of thousands of Singaporean professionals wear a suit to work every day, and they seem to survive. Most occasions that call for a suit are indoors, so you should be fine. If you are fit and acclimatised, a buggy-lined linen suit is no problem to wear outdoors. 

 

You will find many people wearing suits made from both LL and W Bill Linen in Singapore, as well as Taiwan and Hong Kong which are much hotter than Singapore in summer.

post #6028 of 12526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

Also, here's a good looking Grasmere (160s) on clearance:

http://www.acornfabrics.com/fabrics/grasmere-gx-blue

Now if there was only a place in Minneapolis that would make it up. I think I'm going to just have to try Luxire.
post #6029 of 12526
Thanks for your advices. I do not actually live in singapore but live in tokyo now. But the summer in the both places are similar.
Like to spend some time in europe for summer, was also wondering if those fabrics are wearable in the mediterranean climtel (naples, istanbul, cote d'azur etc)
post #6030 of 12526
WBill linen is cheaper and of a better quality than the LL linen. A better value IMHO.

I wear many suits made from the WBill and Minnis linen often in Singapore. It's as cool as a suit can get given the circumstances.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread