or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 388

post #5806 of 10845
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post

I have an unfunded liability that soon will become funded, a black and white herringbone jacketing. This will become a spring/autumn casual jacket, and so I was thinking about patch pockets (maybe flapped), and double stitching on lapels, pockets, etc. The one decision I still need to make is whether I should have it unstructured or not. Suggestions? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

If the fabric is heavier, unlined/unstructured probably won't make much of a difference. If it is lighter - could work as you suggest. Most of my tweeds are P&H Hartwist and at 560g the lining does not add much to the structure.
post #5807 of 10845
Quote:
Originally Posted by etkl View Post

For me, the Lesser 13 oz has been my favorite suiting in terms of look and utility.

I just got the Lesser 16 oz samples and will likely get a couple of suits made up. I really like the weight and feel.
post #5808 of 10845
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie View Post

I just got the Lesser 16 oz samples and will likely get a couple of suits made up. I really like the weight and feel.

I think the 16 oz is great as well, just not as versatile.
post #5809 of 10845
Quote:
Originally Posted by etkl View Post

I think the 16 oz is great as well, just not as versatile.

I would agree with your comment on versatility in general. More versatile for me though as I live in a colder place and could wear as a 3p 10 months of the year comfortably. I'm hoping the Lesser 16 oz fills the current gap between my 340 and 475 g flannels.
post #5810 of 10845
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie View Post

I would agree with your comment on versatility in general. More versatile for me though as I live in a colder place and could wear as a 3p 10 months of the year comfortably. I'm hoping the Lesser 16 oz fills the current gap between my 340 and 475 g flannels.
It should. It's great cloth. Do you live north of Canada?
post #5811 of 10845
There is nothing north of Canada smile.gif

I live in western Canada. I am also more sensitive to cold weather since I lost a significant amount of weight some years ago. Heavier fabric wrinkles less and hangs better I find..

If I lived in a warmer place, I would use Harrisons Cru Classe for most of my stuff as it is my all-time favourite fabric.
post #5812 of 10845
Alaska, kinda.
post #5813 of 10845
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Alaska, kinda.

No - Russia is the other way.nod[1].gif
post #5814 of 10845
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie View Post

There is nothing north of Canada smile.gif

I live in western Canada. I am also more sensitive to cold weather since I lost a significant amount of weight some years ago. Heavier fabric wrinkles less and hangs better I find..

If I lived in a warmer place, I would use Harrisons Cru Classe for most of my stuff as it is my all-time favourite fabric.

Wow. The Cru Classe is very different from the cloths under discussion, which are hard and dry.
post #5815 of 10845
Quote:
Originally Posted by etkl View Post

Wow. The Cru Classe is very different from the cloths under discussion, which are hard and dry.

Absolutely - but it drapes beautifully and has better wrinkle resistance than all but the heaviest fabrics. It also just feels luxurious to touch/stroke. Just give me a moment.shog[1].gif
post #5816 of 10845
Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post

Sorry, I do mean fully lined and structured cut, the typical English clean look will serve the cloth better.

Is there something inherently wrong with a half-lined tweed coat? Personally, it seems to breathe better, since there is no synthetic barrier between the wearer and the wool. Or perhaps I am misinformed?
post #5817 of 10845
I've been wearing my Lesser 16 since November. It wears cooler than my 13oz flannel. Not that surprising, I guess, given that the fuzzy flannel would be better at insulation.
post #5818 of 10845
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

I've been wearing my Lesser 16 since November. It wears cooler than my 13oz flannel. Not that surprising, I guess, given that the fuzzy flannel would be better at insulation.

That's what I'm hoping for. In your experience how does the 16 oz resist wrinkles and keeps a crease?
post #5819 of 10845
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie View Post

That's what I'm hoping for. In your experience how does the 16 oz resist wrinkles and keeps a crease?

It's good. I'm thinking of getting 2 more.
post #5820 of 10845
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan'l View Post

Is there something inherently wrong with a half-lined tweed coat? Personally, it seems to breathe better, since there is no synthetic barrier between the wearer and the wool. Or perhaps I am misinformed?

i find anything half lined is inherently wrong. It is something created by brands to save cost. Now it is somehow a 'luxury' to have your jacket half lined.

Only me though, so please go ahead if you like it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread