or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 364

post #5446 of 11130
Thread Starter 
later on I had lunch with Irving Kristol there.

any one else want to get in on the name-dropping?
post #5447 of 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbromer View Post

I think it's free in that it would be gauche to make your guests pay for lunch, but I think the employees (at least the middling ones I knew) had to actually fork over a few bucks.

That makes sense. I honestly didn't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

later on I had lunch with Irving Kristol there.

any one else want to get in on the name-dropping?

Manton, if you mean this in a negative sense, or read what I wrote as 'name-dropping', I think you might have taken what I said out of context. Name-dropping on a style forum is stupid, functionally useless, and socially gauche. My only intention for writing that up was by way of providing context (given I think most here might not know of AEI), and expressing surprise that the article on cloth was featured in an AEI publication. And to talk a little about the food and suits I saw in that room.

It's like spotting an advertisement for Henry Poole in the Harvard Law Review Journal. If you're not bowled over by that, I don't know what you'd be bowled over by.

If you think otherwise, I fear you might have misapprehended.
Edited by bboysdontcryy - 2/20/13 at 11:48am
post #5448 of 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

later on I had lunch with Irving Kristol there.

any one else want to get in on the name-dropping?
Lots of people have lunch with me, but they are modest and don't brag about it.
post #5449 of 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

It's like spotting an advertisement for Henry Poole in the Harvard Law Review Journal.

What are you smoking? your subject sounds too fun.
post #5450 of 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

Unbel, chill. They haven't seen the fabric in real life. Their comments are not unsurprising, given the general impressions of how mohair looks like. Sleek, shiny, disco-like.

I don't think it's disco at all.

I think it's a very smooth, hard finish with a lot of black in the weave. That makes it not so sportcoat-able.
post #5451 of 11130
If it is the same cloth I am thinking of, it also has some indigo/purple in it. It looks much darker than the photo - almost dark navy/MB, until you put it next to real MB.
post #5452 of 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

Take it easy unbrel, just messing around with you.

OK, well, you got me I guess. Let's move on.

I've seen an entire length of the cloth, so I've got some idea of what it would look like done up as a jacket or suit. It's got a little bit of sheen to it when it moves around, but it's definitely not "shiny" or "disco". It is darker than the photo, but it's got some life to the color. Here's a photo of ethandesu's suit of the same fabric:



It comes off as darker than this photo in person, but this gives you some idea of the richness and variation of the color.

The silk blends are a good idea, but all the ones I saw were either too shiny or not shiny enough. I also like the vibrancy that comes from the lighter threads, as opposed to just shininess.
post #5453 of 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelace View Post

Is this the inspiration for your avatar?

More or less. I have also heard that I look like that mohair goat in my avatar.
post #5454 of 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelman 17 View Post

More or less. I have also heard that I look like that mohair goat in my avatar.

smile.gif

Mohair comes from the Angora goat.

Often confused with the Angora rabbit which provides the soft wool used in sweaters and the like and are confusingly sometimes referred to as Mohair sweaters.
post #5455 of 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

OK, well, you got me I guess. Let's move on.

I've seen an entire length of the cloth, so I've got some idea of what it would look like done up as a jacket or suit. It's got a little bit of sheen to it when it moves around, but it's definitely not "shiny" or "disco". It is darker than the photo, but it's got some life to the color. Here's a photo of ethandesu's suit of the same fabric:



It comes off as darker than this photo in person, but this gives you some idea of the richness and variation of the color.

The silk blends are a good idea, but all the ones I saw were either too shiny or not shiny enough. I also like the vibrancy that comes from the lighter threads, as opposed to just shininess.

He needs to button up his waistcoat. Ruining the look of what looks like a nicely cut 3 piece with a cack handed attempt at sprutzzurezzz.

You used to get shot Mohairs in some bold contrasting colours.

I've seen them in Green & Blue. Navy & Purple, Bronze & Black and a few others over the years.

These cloths were favourites of the Mods and Rude Boys over here (Britain) in the 60's and is the origin of the the term Two Tone.

You would struggle to find such bold cloths these days and not just Mohairs.

Is that a bad thing? Not sure.

H
post #5456 of 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelace View Post

I've seen them in Green & Blue. Navy & Purple, Bronze & Black and a few others over the years.

These cloths were favourites of the Mods and Rude Boys over here (Britain) in the 60's and is the origin of the the term Two Tone.

You would struggle to find such bold cloths these days and not just Mohairs.

Is that a bad thing? Not sure.

I'm sure.
post #5457 of 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelace View Post


I've seen them in Green & Blue. Navy & Purple, Bronze & Black and a few others over the years.

Is that a bad thing? Not sure.

H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

I'm sure.

LOL. Those colours sound outrageous.
post #5458 of 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

I'm sure.

smile.gif

I know what you mean.

When I said navy and purple it was more a reddish-purple and was actually quite fetching. I could see it working in certain applications. High fashion or couture for example.

Difficult to describe, you'd have to see it. Not as 'eye glazing' as you think.
post #5459 of 11130
'
post #5460 of 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post


LOL. Those colours sound outrageous.

The cloth selection these days seems tame compared to even 20 years ago.

Some of the stuff my tailor has on his shelves from the 60's and 70's Well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread