or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 287

post #4291 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
0E3AA0BF-1E13-4B17-9B37-2E923F283BA4-12501-0000080B383733DF.jpg

I have 3m of this. Trying to decide between a SB overcoat vs SB sportcoat + vest.decisions.gif

Any suggestions?
post #4292 of 11780
Overcoat.
post #4293 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post

How are you enjoying it?

I like it just fine, but obviously only for casual wear. Ours may actually be the same colour, the white balance is off in my pics.
post #4294 of 11780

May I ask how large is the scale on the houndstooth above? Maybe I'm a wimp, but I'm having trouble seeing it as an overcoat if the scale is as large as it seems...
 

post #4295 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktitsworth View Post

Overcoat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post

May I ask how large is the scale on the houndstooth above? Maybe I'm a wimp, but I'm having trouble seeing it as an overcoat if the scale is as large as it seems...

The scale is at least medium sized.

I would make the overcoat in this style with swelled edges and slightly bigger lapels.

coat1.jpg
post #4296 of 11780
Huh? Overcoats should be larger scale than SCs IMHO. Am I weird?
post #4297 of 11780

poorsod, that is a fantastic picture and you have renewed my faith. I saved the picture for my own brainstorming...

 

As for scale, unbelragazzo, a coat is one safe place to have fun with unusual patterns, but it may just be that the shade of brown seems rather lighter than I'm accustomed to... paired with a large scale would make it a bit screaming in my opinion.

 

I did see a picture of a finished SC using that cloth (I think it is the LL shetland?) and it was not exactly subtle, so I think the scale is biggish.

 

Again, I have trouble translating cloth swatches, let alone 320x320 pictures, into a finished product in my head, so I'm happy to be disabused of any of these notions by seeing a smashing finished product.
 

post #4298 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

The scale is at least medium sized.
I would make the overcoat in this style with swelled edges and slightly bigger lapels.
coat1.jpg

That style of coat in that houndstooth fabric would look very Sherlock Holmes.
post #4299 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post

poorsod, that is a fantastic picture and you have renewed my faith. I saved the picture for my own brainstorming...

As for scale, unbelragazzo, a coat is one safe place to have fun with unusual patterns, but it may just be that the shade of brown seems rather lighter than I'm accustomed to... paired with a large scale would make it a bit screaming in my opinion.

I did see a picture of a finished SC using that cloth (I think it is the LL shetland?) and it was not exactly subtle, so I think the scale is biggish.

Again, I have trouble translating cloth swatches, let alone 320x320 pictures, into a finished product in my head, so I'm happy to be disabused of any of these notions by seeing a smashing finished product.

 

The scale is definitely bigger than your average houndstooth. I was a bit surprised at first, but I'm quite happy with it now. I'm thinking a jacket like this;

985689.jpg

Except without the zippers.
post #4300 of 11780
I wasn't really commenting on that cloth in particular. Just in general to me it seems like coats are the place for larger patterns. People are generally looking at you from farther away.
post #4301 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post


The scale is definitely bigger than your average houndstooth. I was a bit surprised at first, but I'm quite happy with it now. I'm thinking a jacket like this;
985689.jpg
Except without the zippers.

 

Nice jacket. You have a very understanding tailor to be willing to work with you on out-of-the-box things like that. Mine does not like to track down notions for anything beyond regular buttons, which precludes this kind of thing.  As for the htooth, beware: large-scale htooth has been co-opted by street fashion -- I'm thinking frumpy maidens in their super exploded black-and-white houndstooth coats and skinny jeans. Not the best.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

I wasn't really commenting on that cloth in particular. Just in general to me it seems like coats are the place for larger patterns. People are generally looking at you from farther away.

 

Well, I have nice breath, so they come in closer smile.gif

post #4302 of 11780
Has anyone ordered one of the new LL flannels? I might be interested, but I'd like to know how it performs in the flesh.
post #4303 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post

Has anyone ordered one of the new LL flannels? I might be interested, but I'd like to know how it performs in the flesh.

You mean the Fox Flannel ones? Yes, I'm having trousers made with a couple of them. Very nice stuff.
post #4304 of 11780
Not too heavy at 17 oz?
post #4305 of 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Not too heavy at 17 oz?
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Not too heavy at 17 oz?

I know they are described as 17oz on LL, but the 2 that I got did not feel like 17oz. That said I wanted a heavier cloth to make tough and warm trousers that I could wear outdoors frequently as casual pants during the winter. Let's see how they work out!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread