or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 267

post #3991 of 10778
I ordered the 520 as a three patch sport coat. Wondering if I should have gone w/ a suit, but I rarely wear suits. Could show it to you when it arrives w/in a few weeks, D.
post #3992 of 10778
I have the 520 made up as a suit, one button, besom pockets w/ flaps. I really regret not having it done 3/2, patch pockets. It's a fairly casual looking fabric and would make a great odd jacket, and I like casual looking suits for summer. I will probably order a suit in 516 soon. It's a richer navy than some. This one, I will definitely do with 2 patch pockets.
post #3993 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Is Fresco 0520 for a sport coat a bad idea? I was considering it last weekend when NSM came to San Francisco, but asked Dino to hold the order until I made up my mind. I was between that and the 0516, truer navy. Given how many navy jackets I have at this point, adding another seemed a bit boring, though I suppose I don't have one in Fresco.
FWIW, I was considering having it made into a 3/2 roll SB summer jacket with 3 patch pockets and double stitching.
Thoughts?

All the suiting swatches on the Minnis site look the same to me - is 520 the lighter, Airforce-y blue?

If so, I think it makes a great odd jacket. I have it made up as a suit but wear it as often as not as an odd jacket.

This is the cloth I'm talking about

tumblr_mb6ovveGGI1rv8yzgo1_1280.jpg

While I prefer navy for a cold weather blazer, I much prefer something that has a little more variation in bright sunlight for warmer weather wear.


Another vote for welt + 2 patch. I think a breast patch pocket only looks good with a heavier cloth.
post #3994 of 10778




574 - Black
575 - Dark Navy
576 - Navy
577 - Blue and navy
578 - Grey and Black

Colors are brighter in the pictures than in real life.
post #3995 of 10778
576 looks great. Thinking about a 3 season blazer in the next couple of months. Mohair has me very intrigued.
post #3996 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

fantastic. maker? Steed?

This one was Chan...I think you can make out the lining in some of my recent Steed photos a little bit. They are all half-lined.
post #3997 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptym View Post

I ordered the 520 as a three patch sport coat. Wondering if I should have gone w/ a suit, but I rarely wear suits. Could show it to you when it arrives w/in a few weeks, D.

That would be great, M. I appreciate that. I'm in the same position - Northern Californian who rarely wears suits. Let me know how yours turns out. I'm particularly interested in its versatility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrosals View Post

574 - Black
575 - Dark Navy
576 - Navy
577 - Blue and navy
578 - Grey and Black
Colors are brighter in the pictures than in real life.

I was looking at those Fresco mohairs as well. I think 0577 and 0579 seemed like the counterparts to 0520 and 0516? The more rustic coloring was interesting, but I didn't know what the mohair added to fresco. Dino said he thought both would just as wrinkle resistant and wear more or less the same. Anyone know?
post #3998 of 10778
I have both blends and pure frescos and I'd opt for 100% fresco if I were you (especially if you don't wear suits often). Most people are drawn to fresco for its rustic quality, fresco shines it up unnecessarily in my opinion.
post #3999 of 10778
For whatever reason I can't edit my previous post - meant to say mohair shines it up...
post #4000 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot View Post

This one was Chan...I think you can make out the lining in some of my recent Steed photos a little bit. They are all half-lined.
which do you prefer - your Chan or Steed?
post #4001 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

For whatever reason I can't edit my previous post - meant to say mohair shines it up...

I definitely like the 100% wool for a sport coat better and I think the 516 is just better looking.

I do think the 578 would make a very cool suit.
post #4002 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

which do you prefer - your Chan or Steed?

The one you would expect. :^)
post #4003 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot View Post

The one you would expect. :^)

You mean the one that's twice as expensive? smile.gif
post #4004 of 10778
That is one way of putting it! But at the end of the day, you get what you pay for as with most things in life.
post #4005 of 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

I have both blends and pure frescos and I'd opt for 100% fresco if I were you (especially if you don't wear suits often). Most people are drawn to fresco for its rustic quality, fresco shines it up unnecessarily in my opinion.

Might make for an interesting peak-lapeled jacket in a darker navy to be worn on a summer evening....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread