or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 1276

post #19126 of 19898
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Er ... I don't know if anyone is fighting. Someone said they were fine with 450g tweeds, but not 500g. I asked if people really found 500g tweeds too warm, as I wear tweeds up to 600g and feel fine. Was just curious if people thought 500g was too heavy.

I only assumed you were talking about me since Pete and I (so far in this recent convo) are the only ones who said 500g+ tweeds feel OK.
I wear tweeds up to 680g (Alsport) and feel fine.
post #19127 of 19898
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post
 

 

You didn't read my post. You say you enjoy having the right tweed... for the situation. In Upstate NY (I will assume climate is similar to South Ontario) there are situations where no amount of tweed will help. Some people here claim the reason they go for heaviest of tweeds (500g for a jacket WTF???) is cold weather. If it's that cold, tweed won't help. Like someone here is ashamed to say "I wear tweed because I love it, even if its heavy and totally impractical, and warm when I'm inside and cold when I'm outside".

If that thing you linked is stupid, there are other options. I wear something more high-tech. My wife wears Astrakhan coat that she inherited from her grandma (I joke eventually some tree huger will spill acid all over it...) - she claims that is the warmest piece of clothing there is. Lot of my folks come from Panonian planes, where winters are cold and windy. For generations nothing but full length fur coats were used when outside.

I did read your post, and made mention to the few situations in the winter where technical clothing, boots and down are a necessity. I never said wearing tweed was the best or warmest option. 

 

The weave of the tweed is a much bigger factor than the weight when it comes to warmth. Some are more open than hopsacks (W. Bill Donegal) for example is 15oz (400g.) and you can see right through it, and wears great in early fall and late spring as well as indoors. While some barley corn tweeds (Molloy/LL) that are the same/similar weight, are woven so tight they could stop a bullet, and with a cashmere layer underneath and a scarf you would be fine in below freezing temps. 

 

I picked on the North Face piece because they run rampant in the States, much like Canada Goose in Toronto. I don't have an issue with either of them other than the fact that I don't like the way they look. I would much rather layer up with tweed, a cashmere sweater & scarf and a camelhair overcoat and remove layers afterwards than don any piece of tech clothing. 

 

I am happy to say I wear tweed because I love it, impractical or not, and because it will always look a hell of a lot better than any piece of tech clothing.

 

DL-

post #19128 of 19898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccimus View Post

I wear tweeds up to 680g (Alsport) and feel fine.

Everyone has a cross to carry...
post #19129 of 19898
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLane View Post

I did read your post, and made mention to the few situations in the winter where technical clothing, boots and down are a necessity. I never said wearing tweed was the best or warmest option. 

The weave of the tweed is a much bigger factor than the weight when it comes to warmth. Some are more open than hopsacks (W. Bill Donegal) for example is 15oz (400g.) and you can see right through it, and wears great in early fall and late spring as well as indoors. While some barley corn tweeds (Molloy/LL) that are the same/similar weight, are woven so tight they could stop a bullet, and with a cashmere layer underneath and a scarf you would be fine in below freezing temps. 

I picked on the North Face piece because they run rampant in the States, much like Canada Goose in Toronto. I don't have an issue with either of them other than the fact that I don't like the way they look. I would much rather layer up with tweed, a cashmere sweater & scarf and a camelhair overcoat and remove layers afterwards than don any piece of tech clothing. 

I am happy to say I wear tweed because I love it, impractical or not, and because it will always look a hell of a lot better than any piece of tech clothing.

DL-

Franklin's expedition to find Northwest passage failed in tweed and gabardine, while Amundsen's made it, because of the fur wink.gif
Tweed will get you somewhere, but not all the way.

As for Canada Goose, that's ugly and carries certain conotation here in Canada. BTW, would you go skiing in tweed?
post #19130 of 19898

As my tailor says, tweed is excellent for drawing the admiring looks of other men into custom clothing but almost everything else is better for drawing the looks of people who would actually want to have sex with you. Of course, if you are conjugally betrothed or own a castle neither of the above apply.

post #19131 of 19898
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post


Franklin's expedition to find Northwest passage failed in tweed and gabardine, while Amundsen's made it, because of the fur wink.gif
Tweed will get you somewhere, but not all the way.

As for Canada Goose, that's ugly and carries certain conotation here in Canada. BTW, would you go skiing in tweed?

Exploring the Northwest passage and walking to the subway are not in the same ballpark, they're not even the same sport. We are talking about everyday clothing not an 1845 exploration. 

 

And yes:

:nodding:

post #19132 of 19898
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLane View Post

Exploring the Northwest passage and walking to the subway are not in the same ballpark, they're not even the same sport. We are talking about everyday clothing not an 1845 exploration. 

And yes:


nod%5B1%5D.gif

That's you? wink.gif
post #19133 of 19898

Quoting prince charles as inspiration while living out of a one room apartment with Ikea furniture. Classic iGent

post #19134 of 19898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

Saw the made-up jackets at NMWA HQ today. Came out fantastic.
Curious, did you get this made up? If so I'd love to see it IRL.
post #19135 of 19898
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

Saw the made-up jackets at NMWA HQ today. Came out fantastic.
Curious, did you get this made up? If so I'd love to see it IRL.


I preordered it but mine hasn't arrived yet. When it comes in, I'll let you know. I'm happy to meet up if you want to see it in really real life.

post #19136 of 19898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post
 


I preordered it but mine hasn't arrived yet. When it comes in, I'll let you know. I'm happy to meet up if you want to see it in really real life.

 

Ah, San Francisco.  Must be nice.  

post #19137 of 19898
It is!
post #19138 of 19898
I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on Minnis vs. Fox flannel? For autumn/winter I'm sourcing some flannel for odd pants, and while I know that both are good I'm eager to learn about their potential differences. I'm thinking around 13-14 oz.

Cheers!
SKM
post #19139 of 19898
Quote:
Originally Posted by S K M View Post

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on Minnis vs. Fox flannel? For autumn/winter I'm sourcing some flannel for odd pants, and while I know that both are good I'm eager to learn about their potential differences. I'm thinking around 13-14 oz.

Cheers!
SKM

They're both nice, but Fox looks a bit more cloudy, Minnis a little more uniform. Personal preference, really.
post #19140 of 19898
Thanks a lot, interesting to hear. I already suspected that the differences would be quite insignificant. But maybe I should try at least one of each smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread