or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 1275

post #19111 of 19918
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I'm still fine in ~21oz tweeds indoors. I wouldn't layer knitwear under it, but I'm comfortable with the jacket and a collared shirt.

Does this happen to be the collared shirt you are referring to?

post #19112 of 19918
Hate to break it to all you folks, but in 21st century in civilized world there are far better options for when it's really cold then all that archaic super heavy tweed.
If inside, turn on heating. If outside, wear something hi-tech or get inside. Or wear fur if you really want to be stylish.

So just say it - we love heavy tweed and would wear it no matter what, rather then talking about weather that makes tweed necessary.
post #19113 of 19918
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan'l View Post


Does this happen to be the collared shirt you are referring to?

I need so much of this in my life...

post #19114 of 19918
@TweedyProf I think in general it is best to see swatches in real life. IMO seeing Harris tweed in real life is even more important. Pictures do them no justice.
post #19115 of 19918

Yak wool undershirt: check

Vitality improving wraparound corset: check

Isle of Wight woven cabled knee socks: check

Hefty 22 oz flannel: check

Boxcloth suspenders: check

Three piece tweed suit with double breasted waistcoat: check

Healthy warming portable kerosene personal heater inside of breast pocket: check

Wool pocket square: check

Coarse knitted tweed tie: check

Tyrolean hat: check

Portuquese wool flannel cloak: check

 

 

 

I don't know what you gentlemen are talking about. I can easily wear this indoors without breaking a sweat.

P.s. I am an intern in the HR department. Will this outfit help me get promoted?

post #19116 of 19918
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post

Hate to break it to all you folks, but in 21st century in civilized world there are far better options for when it's really cold then all that archaic super heavy tweed.
If inside, turn on heating. If outside, wear something hi-tech or get inside. Or wear fur if you really want to be stylish.

So just say it - we love heavy tweed and would wear it no matter what, rather then talking about weather that makes tweed necessary.

I couldn't disagree more. There are definitely times where down and Sorel are part of my wardrobe (I am in Upstate NY), however I truly enjoy having the right tweed, linen, cashmere ect. for the situation.

 

I would much rather have 3 different weight tweeds than one of these stupid things:

DL-

post #19117 of 19918
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post
 

Yak wool undershirt: check

Vitality improving wraparound corset: check

Isle of Wight woven cabled knee socks: check

Hefty 22 oz flannel: check

Boxcloth suspenders: check

Three piece tweed suit with double breasted waistcoat: check

Healthy warming portable kerosene personal heater inside of breast pocket: check

Wool pocket square: check

Coarse knitted tweed tie: check

Tyrolean hat: check

Portuquese wool flannel cloak: check

 

 

 

I don't know what you gentlemen are talking about. I can easily wear this indoors without breaking a sweat.

P.s. I am an intern in the HR department. Will this outfit help me get promoted?

 

#capegoals

post #19118 of 19918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLane View Post
 

I couldn't disagree more. There are definitely times where down and Sorel are part of my wardrobe (I am in Upstate NY), however I truly enjoy having the right tweed, linen, cashmere ect. for the situation.

 

I would much rather have 3 different weight tweeds than one of these stupid things:

 

DL-

 

You didn't read my post. You say you enjoy having the right tweed... for the situation. In Upstate NY (I will assume climate is similar to South Ontario) there are situations where no amount of tweed will help. Some people here claim the reason they go for heaviest of tweeds (500g for a jacket WTF???) is cold weather. If it's that cold, tweed won't help. Like someone here is ashamed to say "I wear tweed because I love it, even if its heavy and totally impractical, and warm when I'm inside and cold when I'm outside".

If that thing you linked is stupid, there are other options. I wear something more high-tech. My wife wears Astrakhan coat that she inherited from her grandma (I joke eventually some tree huger will spill acid all over it...) - she claims that is the warmest piece of clothing there is. Lot of my folks come from Panonian planes, where winters are cold and windy. For generations nothing but full length fur coats were used when outside.

post #19119 of 19918
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post

Some people here claim the reason they go for heaviest of tweeds (500g for a jacket WTF???) is cold weather. If it's that cold, tweed won't help. Like someone here is ashamed to say "I wear tweed because I love it, even if its heavy and totally impractical, and warm when I'm inside and cold when I'm outside".

I don't think I ever said that I need to wear 500g tweeds because it's cold. I said I wear them because I like them, and I don't find they run warm.
post #19120 of 19918
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I don't think I ever said that I need to wear 500g tweeds because it's cold. I said I wear them because I like them, and I don't find they run warm.

Did I mention your name? Maybe it was you, who knows. This is not first time that everybody seams to be fighting over who has heavier tweed.
post #19121 of 19918
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post

Did I mention your name? Maybe it was you, who knows. This is not first time that everybody seams to be fighting over who has heavier tweed.

Er ... I don't know if anyone is fighting. Someone said they were fine with 450g tweeds, but not 500g. I asked if people really found 500g tweeds too warm, as I wear tweeds up to 600g and feel fine. Was just curious if people thought 500g was too heavy.

I only assumed you were talking about me since Pete and I (so far in this recent convo) are the only ones who said 500g+ tweeds feel OK.
Edited by dieworkwear - 9/16/16 at 4:02pm
post #19122 of 19918
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Er ... I don't know if anyone is fighting. Someone said they were fine with 450g tweeds, but not 500g. I asked if people really found 500g tweeds too warm, as I wear tweeds up to 650g and feel fine. Was just curious if people thought 500g was too heavy.

I only assumed you were talking about me since Pete and I (so far in this recent convo) are the only ones who said 500g+ tweeds feel OK.

It doesn't wear warm but I find the heavier tweeds to be a bit stiff.
post #19123 of 19918
Who is Pete?
post #19124 of 19918
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post

Hate to break it to all you folks, but in 21st century in civilized world there are far better options for when it's really cold then all that archaic super heavy tweed.
If inside, turn on heating. If outside, wear something hi-tech or get inside. Or wear fur if you really want to be stylish.

So just say it - we love heavy tweed and would wear it no matter what, rather then talking about weather that makes tweed necessary.

I would phrase the idea another way. IMO, heavier cloth hangs better than lighter cloth, so I try to wear the heaviest tolerable for the weather. It was low 70s yesterday and I broke out my 16 oz Lesser DB. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #19125 of 19918
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 

@Pliny Thanks. It's a bit too light for what I'm looking for. @dan'l thanks, the first one is in the color range I'm looking for, but might be too heavy. Looking for 14 oz or so. The second is in a better weight but, like the Moonbeam, just a bit lighter than I want. Here's the H&S that @Mr. Six was referring to.

What is distinctive about the Harris tweed weave, btw? I have a jacket made up in it, and there's a interesting coarseness for lack of a better word. I'm curious on more detailed information on the weave and how that plays into the aesthetics of the cloth and any jackets made up from it as opposed to other common tweeds.

 

it's hand-loomed so looser.  also, the colors often come from various indigenous Hebridean? flora and that contributes to the more rustic natural look, if not the weave itself.

 

u could try pm-ing @JRD617  or Grammaton Cleric, who have extensive tweedy swatch collections AFAIK

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread