Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 1245

post #18661 of 21252
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post

When you DTO Roland Barthes. The semiotic implications are strong.


Anyone tried the Marling & Evans Naturals range?

post #18662 of 21252
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition View Post

Thanks for sharing the photos @Mr. Six. Looks awesome made up.

@dieworkwear I thought you meant patch with flaps, which I prefer over just flapped pockets. That way you can either remove the flaps and still have patch pockets.

I tried to get flapped patch pockets on a corduroy suit once with Steed. Edwin suggested the material would add too much bulk. Ended up getting simple patch instead.

Not sure if the Abe Moon stuff might be similarly too thick. Was thinking more towards flapped welt. Although also leaning more towards keeping it plain patch.
post #18663 of 21252
Quote:
Originally Posted by SartodiNapoli View Post
 

Just received the new bunch of usual Carlo Barbera offers, great checks and textured

 

examples

 

I have added a description of each fabric the Barbera sales by request of some folks.

 

Love this:

post #18664 of 21252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I tried to get flapped patch pockets on a corduroy suit once with Steed. Edwin suggested the material would add too much bulk. Ended up getting simple patch instead.

Not sure if the Abe Moon stuff might be similarly too thick. Was thinking more towards flapped welt. Although also leaning more towards keeping it plain patch.
Ah, that makes sense. From what I've seen, I think patch pockets might be more your style, especially with that fabric.
post #18665 of 21252
Can anyone recommend an online source for Abraham Moon? I've been in contact with them and they do not sell to private customers. I checked in intweed, but they seem to use different reference numbers so it is hard to search their site.
post #18666 of 21252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition View Post

Thanks for sharing the photos @Mr. Six. Looks awesome made up.

@dieworkwear I thought you meant patch with flaps, which I prefer over just flapped pockets. That way you can either remove the flaps and still have patch pockets.

I tried to get flapped patch pockets on a corduroy suit once with Steed. Edwin suggested the material would add too much bulk. Ended up getting simple patch instead.

Not sure if the Abe Moon stuff might be similarly too thick. Was thinking more towards flapped welt. Although also leaning more towards keeping it plain patch.

I have a Harris tweed with patch flap. I don't think of the pockets as being bulky.
post #18667 of 21252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

I have a Harris tweed with patch flap. I don't think of the pockets as being bulky.

Yea, I feel like there are so many great corduroy suits with flapped patch pockets. I didn't really understand how much of a difference a small ~14oz piece of fabric would add to the hips, but I ended up with plain patch anyway.

Keep waffling on this flap welt/ plain patch thing with the houndstooth, but I think I'll stick with the second.
post #18668 of 21252
I also have a Minis tweed with flapped patch pockets and they are not the least bit bulky. As a matter of fact, I'd like to go for the look again, perhaps on a tweed herringbone.
post #18669 of 21252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


Yea, I feel like there are so many great corduroy suits with flapped patch pockets. I didn't really understand how much of a difference a small ~14oz piece of fabric would add to the hips, but I ended up with plain patch anyway.

Keep waffling on this flap welt/ plain patch thing with the houndstooth, but I think I'll stick with the second.

 

What's your wardrobe "split" percentage regarding pockets?  Obviously you should do what's most aesthetically pleasing to you with regard to the particular fabric/makeup up of the jacket, but if you're seriously on the fence, I'd go with whatever you have less of.  Then again, I like flapped welt pockets for odd jackets much more than the majority of StyleForum does. 

 

My $.02 is that that fabric would be perfect for flapped patch, though, bulk be damned.  I have an old BB suit in a thick, dense barleycorn tweed with flapped patch, adn bulk isn't an issue whatsoever.  

post #18670 of 21252
Quote:
Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post

What's your wardrobe "split" percentage regarding pockets?  Obviously you should do what's most aesthetically pleasing to you with regard to the particular fabric/makeup up of the jacket, but if you're seriously on the fence, I'd go with whatever you have less of.  Then again, I like flapped welt pockets for odd jackets much more than the majority of StyleForum does. 

My $.02 is that that fabric would be perfect for flapped patch, though, bulk be damned.  I have an old BB suit in a thick, dense barleycorn tweed with flapped patch, adn bulk isn't an issue whatsoever.  

Mostly plain patch at the hips. Some flapped welt. No jetted, no flapped patch.

I like the idea of a heavy sporting jacket with flapped patch. Barleycorn tweed like that sounds really nice.
post #18671 of 21252
I think flapped patch is an easy look to pull off with these sorts of fabrics. I have a few camel hair sport coats with them, and I can imagine the added "bulk" being a concern. It's an excellent casual look in my mind.
post #18672 of 21252

Welted flap for me.  Easy to tuck when your flap width goes passé +  to access. I use my pockets a lot.

 

Anyone tell me why I shouldn't use  a Lesser's Super 120s & Cashmere suiting? Want something really lux.

post #18673 of 21252

D, I'd go with crescent-shaped jetted pockets, especially with a tweed fabric named "moon."

 

Pics in this thread but sadly, no longer in this one.

 

If you wanted flaps w/ a bit less bulk, hacking might be nice.  Personally, I go w/ regular patches on all sport coat, since I put my hands in my pockets a fair amt and flaps are mildly irritating for that.  If one actually hunted in tweed, flaps would be helpful.

post #18674 of 21252
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptym View Post

D, I'd go with crescent-shaped jetted pockets, especially with a tweed fabric named "moon."

Pics in this thread but sadly, no longer in this one.

If you wanted flaps w/ a bit less bulk, hacking might be nice.  Personally, I go w/ regular patches on all sport coat, since I put my hands in my pockets a fair amt and flaps are mildly irritating for that.  If one actually hunted in tweed, flaps would be helpful.

Never really liked hacking pockets, tbh.

Crescent is just crazy talk.
post #18675 of 21252

Go crazy.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread