or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 1209

post #18121 of 19906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post
 

No compulsion for Minnis over any other...just curiosity.


Then I'd highly recommend Fox Brothers' cricket white flannel in either weight.

post #18122 of 19906
When I had a pair of cream flannel odd trousers made awhile back, I don't believe Fox offered the cloth so I used this great 18 oz cloth from Dormeuil. Turned out well, but I can understand that 18 oz may not be for everyone.
post #18123 of 19906
Depends on where you spend your summer.
post #18124 of 19906
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry2000 View Post

When I had a pair of cream flannel odd trousers made awhile back, I don't believe Fox offered the cloth so I used this great 18 oz cloth from Dormeuil. Turned out well, but I can understand that 18 oz may not be for everyone.


I have a pair of trousers made up from the Fox Flannel 290gm (about 10oz) cricket white worsted flannel. It surprised me how wearable they were and are in quite warm weather. 18oz is heavier than Fox's wollen flannel version. I could imagine that it might not be for everyone!

post #18125 of 19906

@Andy57  I'd probably be a bit scared off from the 290g version, but the the 13oz variety would do the trick!

 

@bry2000 any details on the Dormeuil 18oz cream cloth? FWIW, I'm definitely considering trying out the H&S Pardessus, which  I believe is 20+oz...obviously NOT for summer ha.

post #18126 of 19906
Pardessus is for overcoats, not pants. Wearing 25-27oz fabric as pants, unless you are trying to lose weight, is not a good idea. Plus you would have to line them all the way as the fabric would feel scratchy on your skin. H&S has an off white flannel twill in 17-18oz IIRC.
post #18127 of 19906
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

Wearing 25-27oz fabric as pants, unless you are trying to lose weight, is not a good idea.

*orders Pardessus trousers*
post #18128 of 19906
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

Pardessus is for overcoats, not pants. Wearing 25-27oz fabric as pants, unless you are trying to lose weight, is not a good idea. Plus you would have to line them all the way as the fabric would feel scratchy on your skin. H&S has an off white flannel twill in 17-18oz IIRC.

So, what you're saying is, I can gorge myself during the winter, wear Pardessus trews, and come out beach bod ready by spring???

 

Sign me up!!!

 

In all seriousness, CAN they be made as pants, wear-ability factor notwithstanding? I want to say I recall Simon Crompton featuring a pair of Pardessus cream trews that looked to do the job. 

post #18129 of 19906
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Comfort is for the weak.
post #18130 of 19906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post
 

So, what you're saying is, I can gorge myself during the winter, wear Pardessus trews, and come out beach bod ready by spring???

 

Sign me up!!!

 

In all seriousness, CAN they be made as pants, wear-ability factor notwithstanding? I want to say I recall Simon Crompton featuring a pair of Pardessus cream trews that looked to do the job. 


Yes, he has mentioned a pair of trousers made from Pardessus a couple of times. So I looked it up and my first thought was "holy ****"

post #18131 of 19906
Well, the heavy Dormeuil cloth was for winter woolen off white flannels. I remember looking everywhere for this cloth at the time. None of the usual suspects offered it: Harrisons, Minnis, Lesser, Drapers, etc. only Dormeuil in 9 oz and 18 oz woolen. This was during an era when no self-respecting SF member would order a flannel weighing fewer than 13 oz. So it had to be the 18 oz. ideally, I would have ordered something in the middle, but no dice.
post #18132 of 19906
The LL Fox flannel is 18 oz. I'm getting used to it. After over a year it is starting to break in.
post #18133 of 19906
with the talk of seersucker I went through my stuff and will be letting go of the navy 100% cotton seersucker below (on the left, french blue on the right I only have a suit length of and am keeping)

DSCF4553_zpssjjjf3ym.jpg

DSCF4554_zpsngdp6ldv.jpg
post #18134 of 19906
Edmorel: very nice, congratulations!
May I ask you where you get those cloths?
Thanks.
post #18135 of 19906

Brown linen with a reddish cast: any suggestions?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread