or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 1119

post #16771 of 19896
Quote:
Originally Posted by manasdirge View Post
 

Thanks man! but it seems that Molloy & sons are not offering retail services?


Read his post (and that of Maccimus) more carefully. The donegal tweed is NOT from Molloy & Sons. It is from John Molloy, an entirely different firm.

 

http://www.johnmolloy.com/department.php?category=296

 

It's quite clearly stated on the website that they offer online shopping for their fabrics.

 

Good luck.

post #16772 of 19896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 


Read his post (and that of Maccimus) more carefully. The donegal tweed is NOT from Molloy & Sons. It is from John Molloy, an entirely different firm.

 

http://www.johnmolloy.com/department.php?category=296

 

It's quite clearly stated on the website that they offer online shopping for their fabrics.

 

Good luck.

Should have read more carefully, Indeed this was from John Molloy (Maccimus was quite clear with it), Thanks for the heads up!

post #16773 of 19896
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

What does one do with sage green tweed?


It's pretty versatile, though I agree blue-ground shirts would be a bit tricky with it: it's somewhere between olive, donkey, and light steel blue. Goes well with all autumnal colors and all shades of brown. I think it could also go well with some of the wilder tattersall-gingham hybrids, like this from the Thomas Mason Silver book:

post #16774 of 19896
Got a lovely piece in from @edmorel. Photo his. It's a good two shades darker IRL, which I prefer.



Tax refund already earmarked smile.gif
post #16775 of 19896
Quote:
Originally Posted by usctrojans31 View Post

Got a lovely piece in from @edmorel. Photo his. It's a good two shades darker IRL, which I prefer.



Tax refund already earmarked smile.gif

A Russell plaid milled in Italy!
post #16776 of 19896
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post


Let me know if you want to get rid of this.
post #16777 of 19896
Quote:
Originally Posted by firenze_rob View Post

Let me know if you want to get rid of this.

Islay Woolen Mill has a similar pattern for £38/meter: http://wvww.islaywoollenmill.co.uk/shop/tweeds/c-range/

Probably more on the rough tweed side than what is pictured here though.
post #16778 of 19896
So, I've decided to commission a tuxedo this year and of course never noted the various cloth suggestions made by you guys. I do, however, recall Smith Woolens being mentioned several times and would appreciate some suggestions, especially since the "Formal Wear" collection is not featured on the HoE website. I have the pricelist and there is a vast range of weights and compositions and feel a bit lost on which swatches to request from them.

I am thinking of either classic black or midnight blue in 10/11 ounces. Or is it better to go with 12/13 oz.? Any particular recommendations?
post #16779 of 19896
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan'l View Post

So, I've decided to commission a tuxedo this year and of course never noted the various cloth suggestions made by you guys. I do, however, recall Smith Woolens being mentioned several times and would appreciate some suggestions, especially since the "Formal Wear" collection is not featured on the HoE website. I have the pricelist and there is a vast range of weights and compositions and feel a bit lost on which swatches to request from them.

I am thinking of either classic black or midnight blue in 10/11 ounces. Or is it better to go with 12/13 oz.? Any particular recommendations?

I have the Black version, Smith Woollens Black Baratea 8811 (71% Merino & 29% Mohair) 310g (10oz). Many on this forum have used the Midnight Blue version, that should be ref. 8810
post #16780 of 19896
^ Thanks!

I suppose the Merino/Mohair blend makes the cloth "shinier" and hence appropriate for eveningwear?
post #16781 of 19896
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan'l View Post

So, I've decided to commission a tuxedo this year and of course never noted the various cloth suggestions made by you guys. I do, however, recall Smith Woolens being mentioned several times and would appreciate some suggestions, especially since the "Formal Wear" collection is not featured on the HoE website. I have the pricelist and there is a vast range of weights and compositions and feel a bit lost on which swatches to request from them.

I am thinking of either classic black or midnight blue in 10/11 ounces. Or is it better to go with 12/13 oz.? Any particular recommendations?

Dormeuil tonik!
post #16782 of 19896
I think 8810 is the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post

post #16783 of 19896
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan'l View Post

So, I've decided to commission a tuxedo this year and of course never noted the various cloth suggestions made by you guys. I do, however, recall Smith Woolens being mentioned several times and would appreciate some suggestions, especially since the "Formal Wear" collection is not featured on the HoE website. I have the pricelist and there is a vast range of weights and compositions and feel a bit lost on which swatches to request from them.

I am thinking of either classic black or midnight blue in 10/11 ounces. Or is it better to go with 12/13 oz.? Any particular recommendations?
I had Chan use a Smith merino blend (black!) for a DB DJ. Something like 9oz. It is very good stuff.

In general, your first black tie rig is probably best done in lighter weights, as long as it doesn't screw up the construction and drape. Most places people wear the things are dreadfully overheated, even in the dead of winter. You can always get a black or dark overcoat to get you as far as your limousine after the event. smile.gif

That said, if you're cool-blooded, or expect to be breaking it out in Scottish castles, then go wild. 12oz doesn't have to be ridiculously hot. Were I to get an extra suit for some reason, I'd think hard about 12oz barathea or maybe a 10oz flannel just to be weird.
post #16784 of 19896

@kolecho any update on the Rangoon run?

post #16785 of 19896
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

@kolecho
 any update on the Rangoon run?

It is being made at the mill.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread