Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 2/19/17 at 3:26pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Archival Clothing Navy Zip Cardigan - Small Last post on 1/29/17 at 6:58pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Menswear Shop Refusing to Tailor "Outside" Clothing | Experiences or Advice? Last post on 1/11/16 at 8:49am in Classic Menswear
- Murl the Squirl's Adventure Across the Pond Last post on 4/27/16 at 7:06am in Classic Menswear
- H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on 2/20/17 at 2:22am in Classic Menswear
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 1116
I miss him too. Unfortunately, the fact that criticism on SF is more and more being dismissed as uncalled for or besides the point, or as in this case, even being compared to trolling, has made the good-natured EliodA take a back seat for the moment.
Sorry, don't want to disrupt this thread any further (Click to show)
1. Someone posts a pic of an outfit.
2. Another poster notes some possible flaws or areas that may need improvement
3. Immediately, an apologist (seldomly the OP) jumps in by defending the OP. In almost 100% of the cases not by refuting the points of criticism, but by ad hominem jibes like casting doubts on the criticasters' ability to judge, or -as here- by even telling him to GTFU and post his criticisms elsewhere
4. Then in most cases, more people get involved and a (heated) discussion follows about technicalities which in most cases carefully steers clear of the most salient points of the original criticism, ending with the old cliche that you can only learn so much from a pic online and that every judgment should be taken with a grain of salt. (Why is it the opposite never happens? When someone posts a pic of a perfectly fitting suit, do we ever get a reply "well, maybe this fit isn't good at all, it's merely an online pic, so what can you say"?)
When I joined SF I came here to learn from people with a lot of experience and whose style I admired - such as yourself- , sharing their knowledge. Most of what I learned was by reading critical posts and the replies to those criticisms. If that aspect of the forum is being taken away, and it looks like that more and more, then yes, it probably does affect my positive attitude to the forum.
Only a few days ago, there was a discussion on WAYWRN where a few new posters were lamenting the lack of constructive criticism. Turns out many older posters refrain from offering their criticisms because they usually are so ill received. So those posters prefer to remain silent and opportunities for newcomers to learn are missed. I think that is sad.
Same here. Funny story, well to me at least:
After joining I saw a post EliodA made and took notice of his avatar. I thought, "What a wonderful outfit, I hope I see the full picture sometime," not being aware it was a crop of the cover of "The Great Beauty" DVD cover. A few days later I was looking through the Criterion Collection in a bookstore, and thought, "Wait a minute....."
Still need to pick up that movie. I'm waiting to put in a big order and need a payment to come in later this month.
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 2 minutes ago
- › Exquisite Trimmings - Based in London, UK - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 7 minutes ago
- › Best fitting "casual" oxford shirts? i.e., able to be worn... 18 minutes ago
- › Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication... 22 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 25 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 29 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 31 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 42 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only) 51 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...