or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread - Page 1096

post #16426 of 19895
These are the Harrison's Icarus to which I was referring. Or course, I feel totally incapable of visualizing full jackets from these mere slivers of cloth; these fractions of the greater whole, these discrete puzzle pieces. But, perhaps I should increase my distance from the screen! Amazing! “Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea Which at Twenty Meters Becomes the Portrait of Abraham Lincoln (Homage to Rothko)”. Suddenly I see a bespoke jacket! Anyone use this fabric book?

post #16427 of 19895
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

“Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea Which at Twenty Meters Becomes the Portrait of Abraham Lincoln (Homage to Rothko)”.

 

I prefer International Klein Blue for my summer blazers.

post #16428 of 19895
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post

By my reckoning you've patronized at least three from the rubric I mentioned, a nice hat trick. Have you tried Huntsman?

This rubric?

- If your tailor shop has knowingly failed to deliver goods to clients for years and/or slandered them: do not pass go, do not collect $200
- If your tailor shop is owned by a hedge fund manager: do not pass go, do not collect $200
- If your tailor shop has more posts than you on Instagram: do not pass go, do not collect $200
- If your tailor shop has more clients from Kazakhstan than from its own neighborhood: do not pass go, do not collect $200
- If your tailor shop has a RTW diffusion line: do not pass go, do not collect $200
- If your tailor shop has a StyleForum account: run for the hills

I have indeed used tailors that have failed to deliver. Of course, this was not known to be the case when I first went to them.

Not sure why it matters that Rubinacci has a client base in Kazakhstan or whatever other country. Or that they have a RTW line.

See, your rubric does not address the fundamental problem: the inability of many would-be clients to distinguish good tailors from bad. The pitfalls are wide and varied. Not knowing what to expect from working with a tailor, not knowing how to manage the client/tailor relationship, not knowing how to assess fit or workmanship, etc., all make it extremely challenging to reach a successful result.

If your tailor gives you good service and good clothes for the price paid, what do you care about how he runs his business? People who talk around the perimeter of things tend to do so because they cannot speak to them directly.
post #16429 of 19895
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post

I prefer International Klein Blue for my summer blazers.

Another unfunny drift. Mods - can you please delete everything in this thread unrelated to my question about Harrison's Icarus?
post #16430 of 19895
Don't know anything about Icarus, but really dislike these cloth choices.

How do you imagine you'll use/wear this jacket?
post #16431 of 19895
The Luxire jacket above may earn glowing feedback in the Luxire thread, but here it is dozingoff.gif & uhoh.gif. I personally had one Luxire trial jacket and two pairs of trial shoes that have never seen a single wearing. At one point experimenting with a startup operation in India was intriguing but, in my experience and opinion, the prices eventually shot up to the point of not presenting a good value for an item which, by the maker's own words is "not there yet." I think quotes for most jackets are over $1,000 now. CMT alone is $750. Sartoria Corcos is doing bespoke including fabrics for $2150 and it is the tip-top quality available. Why experiment?? And then you get a product that you aren't happy with and the vendor and customer hate each other.
post #16432 of 19895
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


I have indeed used tailors that have failed to deliver. Of course, this was not known to be the case when I first went to them.

Not sure why it matters that Rubinacci has a client base in Kazakhstan or whatever other country. Or that they have a RTW line.

See, your rubric does not address the fundamental problem: the inability of many would-be clients to distinguish good tailors from bad. The pitfalls are wide and varied. Not knowing what to expect from working with a tailor, not knowing how to manage the client/tailor relationship, not knowing how to assess fit or workmanship, etc., all make it extremely challenging to reach a successful result.

If your tailor gives you good service and good clothes for the price paid, what do you care about how he runs his business? People who talk around the perimeter of things tend to do so because they cannot speak to them directly.

 

I agree, in fact, you were a trailblazer in approaching tailors that only later were discovered to be non-delivering -- not your fault.

 

Interestingly, Rubinacci qualifies for at least three, because the young protege of the business took to social media to denigrate the tailor that spun off his own business. I will never patronize either of them, but the histrionics were in poor taste, to say the least. Maybe London House feels that bad publicity is publicity all the same.

 

Your emphasis on the quality of the clothes for the price is Machiavellian/econometric (unsurprising), but all of the examples in the rubric are listed because they come down to professionalism. Most people don't want to patronize a store (any store) that is known to be either rude, tacky, cartoonish, or unprofessional.

post #16433 of 19895
@xizentaLol. Let's be honest with your 'summary'. Aren't/weren't you suing Luxire? Not really unbiased.
post #16434 of 19895
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Don't know anything about Icarus, but really dislike these cloth choices.

How do you imagine you'll use/wear this jacket?

I was hoping to use it to fly as close as possible to the sun. And to test out its capacity for doing so by first using it as a summer jacket in nyc, partially lined. You would have been able to figure that out if not for the various thread drifts from Dopey between your post above and my posts that preceded it.
post #16435 of 19895
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Moving on - these are other fabrics, swatches of which i currently have in my possession, that THEORETICALLY could work as a table cloth or dishrag-themed summer jacket. I don't think they would work as a shirt, Dopey, given the darker base color. The off-white in the fabric above is really what separates it as a shirt/dishrag/tablecloth jacket from a mere dishrag/tablecoth jacket, like those below. In any event, I really don't like the fabrics below for anything other than a tablecloth or dishrag, and certainly not for a dishrag/tablecoth jacket.

Which brings me back to my point: has anyone used Harrison's Icarus book? I really like some of the blue tones for a summer jacket. Remember: the below dishrag/tablecoth jacket fabrics are not the Harrisons Icarus that I am asking about.




I would be rather concerned about the way these cloths might drape. There does not appear to be much to them.
post #16436 of 19895
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

@xizentaLol. Let's be honest with your 'summary'. Aren't/weren't you suing Luxire? Not really unbiased.

 

Maybe we could start a class-action lawsuit against Solito?

The plaintiffs would each get a piece of a suit.

post #16437 of 19895
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AMD View Post


I would be rather concerned about the way these cloths might drape. There does not appear to be much to them.

 

What do you mean, those would make perfect drapes!

post #16438 of 19895
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

I was hoping to use it to fly as close as possible to the sun. And to test out its capacity for doing so by first using it as a summer jacket in nyc, partially lined. You would have been able to figure that out if not for the various thread drifts from Dopey between your post above and my posts that preceded it.

What happened to being completely unlined?
post #16439 of 19895
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post

I agree, in fact, you were a trailblazer in approaching tailors that only later were discovered to be non-delivering -- not your fault.

Interestingly, Rubinacci qualifies for at least three, because the young protege of the business took to social media to denigrate the tailor that spun off his own business. I will never patronize either of them, but the histrionics were in poor taste, to say the least. Maybe London House feels that bad publicity is publicity all the same.

Your emphasis on the quality of the clothes for the price is Machiavellian/econometric (unsurprising), but all of the examples in the rubric are listed because they come down to professionalism. Most people don't want to patronize a store (any store) that is known to be either rude, tacky, cartoonish, or unprofessional.

Tailors talk trash. That may be "unprofessional" in certain respects, but you'll have a hard time finding a tailor who has never trash-talked another tailor or spread some unflattering gossip.

Good clothes and good quality for the price paid . . . not sure how that can be a controversial benchmark. Would you ever want to pay more for worse clothes and worse service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

I was hoping to use it to fly as close as possible to the sun. And to test out its capacity for doing so by first using it as a summer jacket in nyc, partially lined. You would have been able to figure that out if not for the various thread drifts from Dopey between your post above and my posts that preceded it.

Then go louder. Bigger bolder patterns. These look like shirting, even if they are technically not.
post #16440 of 19895
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


Tailors talk trash.

 

I think it's a Neapolitan thing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread