• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How dangerous is it to ride a motorcycle?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
?????????
It's so much damn fun, but an ex girlfriend of mine is trying to scare the crap out of me. I've never seen data on it, probably because I can't handle the truth.
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when I was younger, I really wanted a motorcyle. I rode one a few times, and it was a huge blast. then I had a friend, who was one of the most competant people I knew with physical activities and very cool headed, get into an acident that put him in the hospital for about 6 months and left him mildly handicapped. he had been doing everything right, but a car had tapped him and pushed him over. nothing that he could have controled

and that convinced me not to do it.

the big problem is that you have no control over what will cause the problem, the cars do.

that said - hey, you don't have any responsiblities yet, do you? so, if you get squished under a truck, who is really going to care. live a little.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as a pre-med student, i worked in UMD shock trauma center about every other day, we would have someone come in who was in a motorcycle accident. they would come in really messed up, with massive internal injuries.

i specifically remember one guy who flipped over his motorcylce and basically did cartwheels for 20 feet and broke both arms and legs.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
in the city where I live.....very. I would love to get a bike but I am certain I would get hit within weeks, with all the loonies that drive like they are in downtown Shanghai

When we were in Paris last month, our first day we were walking around the area our hotel was in and we actually saw a guy on motorbike get hit by a car. Fortunately he was ok as he got up and walked over to the car to yell at him, but it was pretty crazy cuz he got hit fairly hard and flew off the bike

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I was all ready to get a motorcycle as soon as I moved out of my parents' house (they took the hard line, "As long as you live under our roof" stance on that one), until one of my best friends got in an accident on the freeway, through no fault of his own. He survived, but one of his legs was almost completely shattered--he had metal sticking out of his leg for months and months afterward, and never lost the limp.

Not gonna lie, though, I still think about getting one. If/when I move out of the city, I still might.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love motorcycles and have a girl friend who rides every weekend. She rides with a group. If I $$ to blow, I"ll get a Ducati. What's holding me back is a childhood memory of a man crawling on his side to the side of the road, with one leg and motorcycle left behind.
frown.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Generally, I could care less about motorbikes. But I saw a vintage BMW one on the streets of DC a few months ago and I'm bent on getting one someday

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
you make it as dangerous as you want it to be. I am safer on the track than the street. best thing ever, i rarely ride the streets anymore though just club racing.
goodform.jpg

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Get one, so you can be like Charlie Sheen in Wall Street.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back when I was 14 I went trials/dirtbiking in the bush with a friend. I did not see a rock when going up the side of a hill and was thrown off the bike. Landed on my right forearm on a rock and broke it, rolled down the hill and landed on the broken arm again, which pushed the broken bone thru the skin. My friend had to go ride out and get help, which took about an hour. The only thing that got me through the pain was some weed.

No I was not doped out when we were riding.

Karo

Reaction score
I'd love to ride a motorcycle, but I've seen 2 motorcycle accidents right here in my home when I was smoking in the balcony. They both smashed onto the railing at a turn just below my apartment, oh and one of them was a cop too. I think there were no serious injuries in both accidents, maybe you should get a bike.

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
blah, take a safety course. every motorcycle accident that has ever happened is and always will be the riders fault.

Kevin

Reaction score
You must absolutely wear a helmet at all times - even if you live in a state that does not require it. I was in a very low-speed accident (long story, and my fault), and I could not imagine what it would have been like without something to protect my head.

You break a leg, you get laid up in a cast for awhile. You break your skull, you die.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics