• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New phone poll

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So... in the next couple of months, my contract with AT&T will be expiring. I like them just fine and will most likely stay with them. However, I've been thinking about getting a new phone.

I really want something with a full keyboard (for text messaging). I also need it to be fairly pocketable and sturdy. I don't do a whole lot of internet stuff on my phone currently, but mainly because it isn't designed to do that and the formatting sucks. I might be more inclined to use it more if it actually worked.

I have currently narrowed my choices down to the following:

Blackberry Curve
Moto Q Global

Keep in mind that as a valued customer of 10 years with AT&T, they like to kiss ****** when I upgrade my phone. (though my rate discount is also coming to a close, and I'll probably be forced to pay around $50 or so a month for my new plan...BOOOO) I will probably end up getting one of the above for $99 regardless, so cost is not really an issue.

Right now, I'm sort of in love with the keyboard on the MotoQ Global. I played around with it today a bit, and it was pretty sweet. The browser is also excellent. I like the form factor and camera of the Curve, but I'm a little wary about the trackball. It seems like something that might get gunked up. Anyone have any problems with it?

Thoughts, advice, etc?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iPhone
devil.gif
*ducks* The RIM devices are very good for their intended purpose (email) but from what I have seen and opinions I have heard, everything else is sort of, well, not so good. Personally I would avoid Windows Mobile devices, until at least I see some good reviews of the upcoming WM7 (whenever that is released, at least). Resource overhead and sluggishness are an issue with many WM devices. However; I like the fact that the Q comes with Opera instead of P.E. I am a fan of Opera Mobile (I have had a license for the latest S60 version for sometime now) and am anxiously waiting for 9.65 (IIRC). Plus the Q is 3G after, all, unlike the Curve (afaik). I have not played with the trackball extensively but my company's messaging phone of preference is the BlackBerry so I see them everywhere. They are a bit fiddly for me but that is personal preference.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
iPhone
devil.gif

= the first sign of Armageddon. The monthly plan for the iPhone is rather tempting, its like $20 cheaper than unlimited data/text on any other device. Unfortunately, I'd probably go insane knowing that I bought Steve Jobs another black turtleneck.
The RIM devices are very good for their intended purpose (email) but from what I have seen and opinions I have heard, everything else is sort of, well, not so good. Personally I would avoid Windows Mobile devices, until at least I see some good reviews of the upcoming WM7 (whenever that is released, at least). Resource overhead and sluggishness are an issue with many WM devices.
Actually, the MotoQ Global seems like just about the fastest phone I've ever played with. I even played around with two of them to make sure. Maybe its just that I'm not used to faster phones. I dunno. On a side note: Who do I have to bribe to get them to release a US tailored version of the Nokia E90 communicator?
200702121327nokiae90allvf4.jpg

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Should I wait for something else awesome? Nokia N95 8GB is on the horizon, as is the Sony Ericsson P5i. Both of which are intriguing and expensive!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
= the first sign of Armageddon. The monthly plan for the iPhone is rather tempting, its like $20 cheaper than unlimited data/text on any other device. Unfortunately, I'd probably go insane knowing that I bought Steve Jobs another black turtleneck. Actually, the MotoQ Global seems like just about the fastest phone I've ever played with. I even played around with two of them to make sure. Maybe its just that I'm not used to faster phones. I dunno. On a side note: Who do I have to bribe to get them to release a US tailored version of the Nokia E90 communicator? http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3...ae90allvf4.jpg
There are many rumours that there is a plethora of new devices to be announced at 3GSM the coming week in Barcelona. Including perhaps E-series devices with US 3G frequencies. But frankly, the only problem you will have with the current E90 is that the 3G frequencies it supports are the non-USA ones. Otherwise, lets just say that the thing is incredibly nice. Almost all the features of the N95 with a large beautiful screen and full keyboard. But considering the keyboard and screen size it is quite small. Excellent battery life, too. Certainly better than my E61i but larger (and more expensive).

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get the N95 8GB. Get the N95-3 instead - AT&T 3G frequencies, 1200 mAh battery unlike the original 900 mAh (iirc) and 8 GB MicroSDHC cards are what, $50 nowadays? get a few (or wait for a 16 GB card).
I have to say though that I find myself unable to get past the lack of full QWERTY on the N95-1 I have. The camera, accelerometer, GPS etc etc are INCREDIBLE but during the week I stick with the E61i.

3GSM could be very interesting, if the rumours and spyshots/mock-ups on the various Russian and (southeast-)Asian telecom sites are anything to go by - including the successor to the E61i.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I want to see the real version of this:
se-p5i-concept.jpg

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Don't get the N95 8GB. Get the N95-3 instead
What I meant was that AT&T is supposedly going to be selling the N95 8GB any day now, which is why I'd be looking at that. (At a steep discount). I am not very interested in paying $600-700 for a phone. Regardless of how awesome it is.
smile.gif
I'd settle for the lack of a full QWERTY keyboard for a little longer if I could score a sub $300 N95. Or the Sony Ericsson P5i, which is supposedly very similar to the N95 + touchscreen in a smaller package. Supposed to be shipping Q2. Which means it probably will hit the states just in time for it to become irrelevant.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
What I meant was that AT&T is supposedly going to be selling the N95 8GB any day now, which is why I'd be looking at that. (At a steep discount).

I am not very interested in paying $600-700 for a phone. Regardless of how awesome it is.
smile.gif

I'd settle for the lack of a full QWERTY keyboard for a little longer if I could score a sub $300 N95.

Or the Sony Ericsson P5i, which is supposedly very similar to the N95 + touchscreen in a smaller package. Supposed to be shipping Q2. Which means it probably will hit the states just in time for it to become irrelevant.

If things do roll right at 3GSM, the N95-1 may actually fall in price on fleabay and such places. We shall see.
OTOH, getting the N95 8GB at massive discount would be nice!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

leger

Reaction score
I dumped Sprint to go with AT &T and get an iPhone, and I have not looked back.
I've never been happier with a cell phone.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leger
I dumped Sprint to go with AT &T and get an iPhone, and I have not looked back.
I've never been happier with a cell phone.

crackup[1].gif

Oh Sliiiiimmmmmm.....

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
In a pinch I say the Moto although this would be the first Q that doesnt suck the quality of their phones is usaually subpar. If you plan on mistreating your phone you may want something steardy. You may just end up waiting for something else. Since AT&T uses Sim cards getting an unlocked phone from Japania or Korealand isnt out of the question either.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone would not purchase the Curve. It's a great phone. I have the Pearl, and I absolutely love it.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a Curve and I HATE the trackball. It's a piece of crap. I'm still in my 30 day return period so it's going back to AT&T.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads