or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Cincinnati Ohio anyone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cincinnati Ohio anyone? - Page 5

post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercadi View Post
Any more plans for a meet up?
Apparently all of the Ohioans are too lazy. Also, no casinos. What are we, Michigan?
post #62 of 78
If anyone wants to meet up around October 5th just let me know, as I am going to be in Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus.
post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Apparently all of the Ohioans are too lazy. Also, no casinos. What are we, Michigan?
+1
post #64 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Apparently all of the Ohioans are too lazy. Also, no casinos. What are we, Michigan?
Wait, Michigan has casinos. In Detroit. Such a model city.
post #65 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Wait, Michigan has casinos.

In Detroit.

Such a model city.

Michigan does not have casinos. Most people go to Windsor for casinos. Btw, Ohio does not need them. All of the money that these casinos make come from local people. No durable good has ever come from having a casino in ones local town. And please don't cite tax revenue that will go for schools...when the Ohio lottery came into being, they promised it would end school funding issues...you can plainly see where we are with this one.

http://ideas.repec.org/p/wpa/wuwple/0501001.html

http://archive.recordonline.com/arch...5/onscasin.htm

http://casinowatch.org/costs/casinos_mo.html
post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaogou View Post
Michigan does not have casinos. Most people go to Windsor for casinos. Btw, Ohio does not need them. All of the money that these casinos make come from local people. No durable good has ever come from having a casino in ones local town. And please don't cite tax revenue that will go for schools...when the Ohio lottery came into being, they promised it would end school funding issues...you can plainly see where we are with this one. http://ideas.repec.org/p/wpa/wuwple/0501001.html http://archive.recordonline.com/arch...5/onscasin.htm http://casinowatch.org/costs/casinos_mo.html
Help me out -- what is that Motor City Casino I passed when in Detroit, and that other one, MGM or something? Isn't there a Michigan Gaming Board or Commission or somesuch? Or do you mean just not true table games? I'm confused but I agree completely with the principle that these casinos are not good and do not provide that which their promoters tout. I've heard some recent arguments on some satellite NPR channel, and the pro-casino people were arguing very evasively and poorly. ~ H
post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaogou View Post
Michigan does not have casinos. Most people go to Windsor for casinos. Btw, Ohio does not need them. All of the money that these casinos make come from local people. No durable good has ever come from having a casino in ones local town. And please don't cite tax revenue that will go for schools...when the Ohio lottery came into being, they promised it would end school funding issues...you can plainly see where we are with this one. http://ideas.repec.org/p/wpa/wuwple/0501001.html http://archive.recordonline.com/arch...5/onscasin.htm http://casinowatch.org/costs/casinos_mo.html
You could not be more wrong, unless you are going to make the argument that the little pieces of tribal land, totally encapsulated within the state of Michigan, do not count as being "Michigan." How about the MGM Grand Casino or the Greek Town Casino? Those are the new ones built to counter the Windsor casinos. All the various smaller ones in more rural parts of Michigan are too many to list. Here's a site though: http://michigan.casinocity.com/
post #68 of 78
I was in Motor City Casino in Detroit yesterday to see a Steely Dan concert. The show and venue were great, but the actual game floor was awful and depressing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Wait, Michigan has casinos.
Ok I now see that my post could have read two ways. What I meant was Ohio is above opening casinos, unlike Michigan which seems to have hundreds of them (also, I was joking).
post #69 of 78
Casinos monopolize the exploitation of idiots. They should be illegal under anti-trust laws.
post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
Casinos monopolize the exploitation of idiots. They should be illegal under anti-trust laws.
I have always thought the same thing about churches, but whaddyagonnado? Btw to the OP... I'm back in Cincinnati now, but I don't know if I want to meet all you fellows. I'm afraid you'll try to undress me with your eyes. (haha j/k)
post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
You could not be more wrong, unless you are going to make the argument that the little pieces of tribal land, totally encapsulated within the state of Michigan, do not count as being "Michigan." How about the MGM Grand Casino or the Greek Town Casino? Those are the new ones built to counter the Windsor casinos. All the various smaller ones in more rural parts of Michigan are too many to list. Here's a site though: http://michigan.casinocity.com/

Are there casinos that are not on Indian land in Michigan?
post #72 of 78
yes
post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaogou View Post
Are there casinos that are not on Indian land in Michigan?
I don't believe so. Don't know about the physical land, but they are all Native American operations, right? Regardless of the land that they are on, and who runs them, as the Michigan Gaming Board or whatever they call it, an agency of the State of Michigan, have been granted the authority to regulate the casinos as part of the deal under which the casinos exist in the first place, it seems to me that most would reasonably consider them to be a de facto part of Michigan. The Native American tribes are technically sovereign, but that really is a lip service sort of thing. ~ H
post #74 of 78
So no meet up planned?
post #75 of 78

Unfortunately I too live in the Hell Hole that is Cincinnati, Ohio. 

 

Totally necro'd this thread too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Cincinnati Ohio anyone?