Originally Posted by daiki
The collaboration with levi’s was decided in march, with delivery at the end of August. This extremely short time span was a continual challenge. The first thing I thought of was the 501, and of organizing everything around a Shrink to Fit concept. However Levi’s killed this, as they want to keep the 501 separate and not use Shrink to Fit on any other product. After redoing the plan countless times, somehow we finished on time. I had lots of ideas for items other than the 501, but I finally decided to base everything on a patent application form I found in the San Francisco Levi’s archive. I remembered a jacket made from brown duck that I’d seen a long time ago in London’s Levi’s Red store. I liked it instantly and bought it. Thinking it would look better washed I threw it in the machine and it came out in a children’s size. I wasn’t able to wear it very long, but I liked the idea of a not-Levi-esque Levi's jacket. The patent application I found was submitted in 1874, for a hunting jacket produced until 1900. At this time workwear made of canvas with lots of rivets was famous, and so they also produced hunting gear in the same manner. In the 1900s production of hunting wear ceased and Levi’s went on as a denim workwear specialist, but personally I was drawn to the hunting wear. From the photographs we could see the basic design, but we couldn’t see the things like the fine details or the back. On the contrary, it was good we couldn’t see everything. This was where we could add ourselves. Originally we planned to only sell the line only in the U.S., but we got requests and some of it will be sold in Nepenthes. In the process of finishing this project a lot happened, with a limited time, and with many restrictions, but we feel this was our best under those circumstances. When you see these products and examine their small details, it’s as if you can see the marks of our struggle. Thanks to everyone who helped on the project. See you next week.